what do part timers want in 2013

JonFrum

I never understood why everyone hated the split raises so much. does your yearly income come out less with a split raise, as oppose to a single raise? If I got two 50¢ raises, one in february and one in september ----or---- a $1 raise only in september, wouldn't the split raise be more profitable?
You have it backwards. We don't get half the raise six months early; we get half the raise six months late.

Traditionally we got the full yearly raise on August 1st of each new Contract Year. Now we get only half on August 1st, and the second half on February 1st of the following year (six months later.)

Dudeman

Getting back on point.How about: A catch up raise like 2 contracts ago, and increase in pension credit for past and future years (Stewie's favorite), same benefits with no employee contribution, and yearly raises that are not split.
PS and pizza every other Friday !

this plus i'd love to see UPS get rid of all the worthless safety people and go back to the safety bonuses

SGCUPS117

I see now after reading most of this thread that PT involvement in meetings and gatherings are the only way to really get our concerns heard. Honestly, I don't think it would be asking too much for PT's to have alternative methods of learning about teamster issues. Part of the problem that I think most PT's have is that they don't really know what's going on with their situation as far as the Union is concerned, and like many of you have said before, attending the meetings isn't something they could commit to fully. One thing that my local government does is record their townhall meetings and minutes on their website and post them to the web for the community to see. Tweets are a good way to let people know when meetings are being held (I don't even think my Union has a twitter page), at least all PT's that subscribe will know when and where the meetings are being held and whether they can make them or not. Any way for pt timers to get more involved with issues concerning them should be readily available, especially since the technology is there. It needs to be utilized. Not to mention electronic communication would save on paper and stamps, less money for the Union to spend on newsletters, etc. There are methods of communications that I think would be very useful, other than just only attending the meetings.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
117 is on to something Facebook and Twitter are the new wave of communication especially to the pt'ers who are for the most part young people .I have had the idea of a local facebook page for a while now.Twitter would be great.

brown_trousers

You have it backwards. We don't get half the raise six months early; we get half the raise six months late.

Traditionally we got the full yearly raise on August 1st of each new Contract Year. Now we get only half on August 1st, and the second half on February 1st of the following year (six months later.)

gotcha, that makes sense now. I was thinking of it from a jan-dec perspective

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
our union contract is a legal contract just like any other. And it is never "black and white" with legal matters. so yes, it is at least 50 shades of grey, if not more.
There is a few of these:
A memorandum of understanding (MoU) is a document describing a bilateral or multilateral agreement between parties. It expresses a convergence of will between the parties, indicating an intended common line of action. It is often used in cases where parties either do not imply a legal commitment or in situations where the parties cannot create a legally enforceable agreement. It is a more formal alternative to a gentlemen's agreement.

Understand ........Because I sure don't......talk about shades of gray ! ....... A convergence of will ? what the heck ? shoot me now !

ftballer67

That's about how long it is in building right now, I'm in the Madison Hts, MI building, Local 243. About 10-12 years here. I'm at 8 right now, there are two bids up & I probably won't get either, but you never know.

upser92

Simple. I've seen dozens of part timers hired in the last 2 years I've worked here. I say quit hiring them in and offer more people the opportunity to be fulltime. No reason at all I can't be on both the day and twilight sort

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Simple. I've seen dozens of part timers hired in the last 2 years I've worked here. I say quit hiring them in and offer more people the opportunity to be fulltime. No reason at all I can't be on both the day and twilight sort
Yes there is, because I and many others are full-time 22.3 and cannot be on the day-twilight sorts. "get in line" ;p

Justaname

Meetings are outdated??? Nothing is more informative for members than to show up at a meeting. No other venue provides the opportunity to get the real story of what's going on. At meetings your voice will be heard and your opinion counts. Posting on BC isn't going to get the IBT's attention, going to a meeting will.
Our local has meetings scheduled to accomodate all employees, on days, nights and weekends. Part timers don't show up in any significant numbers. The local does texting, e-mails, snail mail, web site, Skype, parking lot meetings, bulletin board postings, etc... Still little response from PT's. Brownmonster is dead on, everyone can find an excuse. If it really means something, PT's should make the effort. Part timers get trampled because the IBT understands this all too well, and so does UPS.
I make every meeting I can. The fact is I miss more meetings than I make because of a second job, which most part timers have. I remember at one of the meetings we were discussing part time problems. A driver then interrupted saying "**** the part timers". The fact is if u haven't worked part time in the past three years, then u don't understand how bad it's got. I didn't load near as many pieces as I do now compared to when I started 5 years ago. When drivers are out delivering their over dispatched trucks they need to remember the guy who loaded it loaded 4 others just like it in 4 hours so cut him some slack. As for the new contract I would like to see a decent pay raise for us.

Champ_Here

sheet it missed
Being endtailed sucks. I have 5 1/2 years as a local sorter and got an educational transfer last September and found out I couldn't actually afford to live where I moved to (after roommates bailed on me). I manage a transfer back and find out they hired 4 new (and useless) employees. So after my 5 1/2 years of breaking my back for this company (and getting up to about 15 people in front of me to go driving), I come back to my original center to find out that I will potentially NEVER get to drive. You can't live off of $180 a week. I agree with all those that say we need more FT jobs. I really don't mind working a combo - they just don't offer it. Or if UPS really cares about us "career" PTs, give us package driver pay - especially if we do end up having to pay for benefits in a tiered system on this next contract.

U

uber

Being endtailed sucks. I have 5 1/2 years as a local sorter and got an educational transfer last September and found out I couldn't actually afford to live where I moved to (after roommates bailed on me). I manage a transfer back and find out they hired 4 new (and useless) employees. So after my 5 1/2 years of breaking my back for this company (and getting up to about 15 people in front of me to go driving), I come back to my original center to find out that I will potentially NEVER get to drive. You can't live off of $180 a week. I agree with all those that say we need more FT jobs. I really don't mind working a combo - they just don't offer it. Or if UPS really cares about us "career" PTs, give us package driver pay - especially if we do end up having to pay for benefits in a tiered system on this next contract.

Is it really that expensive to live in Idaho?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Package driver pay??

Let me get this straight. You worked for 4 years and then transferred. Your roommates bailed on you, you couldn't pay the rent and transferred back only to find they hired 4 new employees while you were gone. You are now further away from driving than you were before the transfer. And now you want package driver pay.

UPS held up their end of the bargain by allowing you to transfer. They also followed the contract when they hired the 4 new employees and are following the contract when filling open driver positions. It is not their fault that things did not work out for you at the center that you transferred to or that you are further down on the seniority list. That's all on you.

If you can't live on $180/week I suggest you get another job.