what do part timers want in 2013

Inthegame

I make every meeting I can. The fact is I miss more meetings than I make because of a second job, which most part timers have. I remember at one of the meetings we were discussing part time problems. A driver then interrupted saying "**** the part timers". The fact is if u haven't worked part time in the past three years, then u don't understand how bad it's got. I didn't load near as many pieces as I do now compared to when I started 5 years ago. When drivers are out delivering their over dispatched trucks they need to remember the guy who loaded it loaded 4 others just like it in 4 hours so cut him some slack. As for the new contract I would like to see a decent pay raise for us.
You should tell your agent to schedule a craft meeting when a decent number of pt's can show up. If a driver said what you claim, he'd have the worst load of his life the next day or meet the business end of a baseball bat around here. Believe me friend, I always remembered and thanked my loaders, never filling out a misload card (back in the stone age when I delivered). The full timers proposed increased wages for part time here. We remember.

U

uber

Another PT job is going to be easier to come by in September when the kids go back to college. Then peak season's right around the corner and you'll miss opportunities to double-shift because your tied up with your new PT job.

Justaname

You should tell your agent to schedule a craft meeting when a decent number of pt's can show up. If a driver said what you claim, he'd have the worst load of his life the next day or meet the business end of a baseball bat around here. Believe me friend, I always remembered and thanked my loaders, never filling out a misload card (back in the stone age when I delivered). The full timers proposed increased wages for part time here. We remember.
He did I load his car, but I can forgive and forget. The craft meetings not a bad idea. I'll talk to the part timers tomorrow on break and see what we can't come up with. Thanks for the idea

Island

I wouldn't mind a 30 hr/wk job. 40 hours with a 3-hour lunch, as a lot of my combo coworkers have, really sucks. You have no time for yourself, your entire day is brown.

Scuderia

I've been a part timer for almost 10 years. Not by choice though, it really does take at least 13 years to get a FT driving position, and 16 years to get a combo. Luckily most of that time it's been in small sort. Most part timers want two basic things: more hours and bigger raises.

A guaranteed 25 hour work week for the more senior PTs wouldn't be bad. That's what most of us get anyways, it's just adding an extra bit of job security.

Also an outlined way to double shift. Make it sort of a bidding list that the sups would have a abide by. I know there are a lot of people who have other full times jobs or own a business that also work at UPS. Those people always want to get cut early, so why not give the hours to the people who want/need the hours? I wouldn't mind staying/waiting for the next shift, if there's a good chance someone will want to get cut and I can take their spot.

brown_trousers

Im not sure if its an issue in other places, but at the small center I used to work at, there were no $1 raises for the skilled positions. they made the claim that sorting and picking off was not skilled enough at this center and the union contract gave UPS the authority to deny the $1 bump in pay because of that. It might be good for PTers to strengthen the contract language defining what skilled position is.

JonFrum

Im not sure if its an issue in other places, but at the small center I used to work at, there were no $1 raises for the skilled positions. they made the claim that sorting and picking off was not skilled enough at this center and the union contract gave UPS the authority to deny the $1 bump in pay because of that. It might be good for PTers to strengthen the contract language defining what skilled position is.
The Contract makes no mention of "skilled" or "unskilled" jobs. I doubt the Teamsters would ever formally call one job "skilled," as that would be insulting to the other guy with the so-called "unskilled" job. That doesn't stop lots of employees and supervisors using the terms though. Besides, no job is really unskilled. Originally they paid the same, and later, almost the same, as driver pay.

In any event, you're entitled to the extra dollar if your job title is Sorter or Preloader or something similar.

brown_trousers

In any event, you're entitled to the extra dollar if your job title is Sorter or Preloader or something similar.

I remember us PTers trying to fight that one back in my part-time days. Despite being a sorter, pay remained on par with loaders/unloaders. There was no $1 bump in pay for sorting. Management said that we didn't get the extra $1 because we didn't have to read all 5 zip-code digits to sort, we only had to read the first 3.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I remember us PTers trying to fight that one back in my part-time days. Despite being a sorter, pay remained on par with loaders/unloaders. There was no $1 bump in pay for sorting. Management said that we didn't get the extra $1 because we didn't have to read all 5 zip-code digits to sort, we only had to read the first 3.
Thats an easy grievance.

Notcool

I don't see why sorts should get a dollar more. Sorting is alot easier than loading. I have done both but am a loader. I got the extra dollar add and never get to sort due to seniority. Tired of loading Id love to sort. Since the wait for full time is so long part timers need higher wages for those that have five plus years in. Thats proven reliability if you can last that long loading.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The contract reads + $1.00 for sorter/preloader. I doesn't say how small or big a location is. Once again management is making up things to suit there agenda. It's all bull sh-t and it's bad for you. Like the no five digit read so no sort pay add. Boy do they make stuff up!!! The other day I heard tell of a sup saying that another sup loading packages was ok because they were "assisting" . Now I know I have not seen that word in the agreement. Hmmm assisting ? "You go home and I will assist you by loading your truck".
What all part timers need to do is make sure they get their 3 1/2 guarantee every day.

flipstyle9

I want better pay or benefits i can see less than a year. UPS is shifting to pt because union don't care and it's way cheaper and they still get their union dues

menotyou

bella amicizia
I want better pay or benefits i can see less than a year. UPS is shifting to pt because union don't care and it's way cheaper and they still get their union dues
Who cuts your check?
Who is your boss?
Who hired you?

Here's a clue. It wasn't the union.

Who dictates that you must work here?

brown_trousers

No way... If anyone has to take the short end of the stick, it will be the brand new hires. Many of us FTers support PTers, but we support the ones who have been around for a while. I would much rather see PTers get better raises every year, than to just jack up the starting pay and starting benefits a little.