What will happen to the express Drivers....

Empty Pockets

The new name has been said to become "One FedEx." It appears that some stations are going to be closed and absorbed before the end of the fiscal year. So far, they seem to be the smaller and easier to deal with locations. I feel for everyone that will be affected, but FedEx has been screwing the employ for years and I do not expect them to handle this situation in any other way. We are totally screwed and have no real course of action at this point, so there is no need to argue whether or not we are truly under the RLA or not. I hate to be negative, but this craphole company is a negative company.

What will happen to the ones who do not go to ground? I bet my last dollar that they will be offered a position at the large station 1-2 hours away. That will be for them because folks will start leaving and they will need replacements for them. If you do not take it, you will be displaced for ninety days. On the next day, you have resigned. Because you resigned, you will not even qualify for unemployment so you may be better off to get fired before the move.

The folks that do go to One FedEx will be used for time consuming stuff. Ground is getting paid per box and therefore not going to like driving forty miles for one stop. I am guessing that the Ground route areas will remain that way since they are under contract for an area. Also, FedEx announced that they were also closing 4,000 drop boxes. The few Express drivers that do make the move will probably be screwed with more than ever because of management. Ground managers are really only over the contractors and maybe some handlers. The contractors are over the drivers they hired. So, this Ground manager will probably be over the Express folks and ride the crap out of them. The station managers from Express will not really be needed at the new location. However, FedEx is so inconsistent and wasteful that they could go and be over the ten folks left but will probably be required to fill in as they leave and run routes all the time.

I am a truck driver at a station that does not have a Ground to go to. I think they will split the freight three ways to the Ground that does cover our area and then close the station. The truck drivers that pull station pulls may be absorbed to pull to the new One FedEx, but that is not consistent. Why contract all the delivery drivers and keep the one big truck driver.

The larger stations seem to more complicated. For instance, HSVA was told a year ago that they were merging with Ground. Then, six months ago, they were told it was not gonna happen. Well, if all the other stations are going, they will too, eventually. Maybe, for some strategic reason, they are doing it this way.

Attachments

• Screensho.jpg
    Screensho.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 1680881626667_174463516780628002.jpg
    1680881626667_174463516780628002.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Empty Pockets

What should we do?
Well, in my humble opinion...
1. If you need some surgery, get it done now. The only drawback will be that if they move while you are on leave, you will not go to the new place. You will still get paid if you are on disability.
2. Folks are going sooner, like Clarksville and Cookeville, spend your personals, floaters, and call in sick...you wont get paid for those if you leave. They will pay you your vacation days after you are no longer with the company. Sell back as many as you can now to get the money sooner.
3. Get yourself fired before the merger. You will get unemployment for being fired unless you steal, sabotage, or fight and threaten. Get a friend to report an unreported accident, or one no call no show, one dropped trailer, and then a fender bender. You may only need one Warning Letter to get fired.
4. It sucks but stay positive. I called years ago and benefits told me that I got the same money whether I quit or got fired. Have some fun and screw off. We are officially short timers anyway. Play hooky and take the wife out to a movie and dinner.
5. I am 54 and had hoped to stay to 58ish. We may be in different situations, but we MUST go look at the numbers if we are close to retiring . In case

SSA - https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/
Vanguard - https://investor.vanguard.com/corporate-portal/
Pension - https://leplb0380.upoint.alight.com/web/fedex/login?

Also, the retiree escrow account that will pay some of our insurance is still available. It is hard to find at work but will see if I have a copy

Attachments

• Pre 65 Retirement.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:

HedleyLamarr

Thanks for your informative posts, Empty Pockets. I think you are spot on.

The ones I feel sorry for the most are the Express folks that are in the 15-20 year range. Too young to retire and too old to start fresh somewhere else. So many good people at my station that are going to be totally screwed. We are a big family, but we will be forced to turn against each other and fight for the few positions that will be left.

I am in the Birmingham metro and as of yet we have heard no news about any of this, although I was on vacation this past week, so maybe it was addressed while I was gone. A few months back, when the streamlined services paper was being circulated all over, my senior manager had the nerve to look us right in the face and deny it was coming here. "That is only in Minnesota, thousands of miles away! That won't effect us at all!" What a bunch of BS; I was wondering if he honestly believed what he was telling us.

I have been applying for RT positions for the past year, but have not gotten one; I started too late, the writing was already on the wall and I do regret not trying to get a CDL earlier now.

This whole RLA thing is a waste of time, and as such I don't even bother reading any of those posts. Rearranging the seats on the Titanic while the ship is sinking; who cares anymore. It is too late for that!

Right now, I will stay for the insurance mainly and will probably go back to school while working PT at FedEx. As crazy as it may seem, I am thinking about going for an electrical engineering degree. Have been at Express for 8 years now, and am 44 years old. Fortunately, I am still in excellent health (being a avid cyclist has helped with that) and have another income to fall back on, so I am better of than so many of my fellow coworkers.

2394tofeedah

Bna-Mt juliet ground hub
Mqy-staying for now
Syi-Murfreesboro ground hub
Ckv-Clarksville ground hub
Fym-Lawrenceburg ground hub
Thaa-staying for now
Bwg-staying for now
That’s from management Friday morning.
I left at the right time😬

I started FedEx in 2015 went to BNAR in 2019 and left before peak 2020. I've done ramp shuttles to all those stations. Once again FedEx proves it's not a
"people company"

MassWineGuy

The ones I feel sorry for the most are the Express folks that are in the 15-20 year range. Too young to retire and too old to start fresh somewhere else. So many good people at my station that are going to be totally screwed. We are a big family, but we will be forced to turn against each other and fight for the few positions that will be left.

I am in the Birmingham metro and as of yet we have heard no news about any of this, although I was on vacation this past week, so maybe it was addressed while I was gone. A few months back, when the streamlined services paper was being circulated all over, my senior manager had the nerve to look us right in the face and deny it was coming here. "That is only in Minnesota, thousands of miles away! That won't effect us at all!" What a bunch of BS; I was wondering if he honestly believed what he was telling us.

I have been applying for RT positions for the past year, but have not gotten one; I started too late, the writing was already on the wall and I do regret not trying to get a CDL earlier now.

This whole RLA thing is a waste of time, and as such I don't even bother reading any of those posts. Rearranging the seats on the Titanic while the ship is sinking; who cares anymore. It is too late for that!

Right now, I will stay for the insurance mainly and will probably go back to school while working PT at FedEx. As crazy as it may seem, I am thinking about going for an electrical engineering degree. Have been at Express for 8 years now, and am 44 years old. Fortunately, I am still in excellent health (being a avid cyclist has helped with that) and have another income to fall back on, so I am better of than so many of my fellow coworkers.

I’m in a fairly similar position, although I’m older. I’m was thinking of staying a couple of more years, but now might not. Will wait to see what happens at our station.

If I left now my wife and I would be fine, given retirement funds, Social Security and what little pension I may have ( or not have). Uncertainty over what to do after FedEx is better than living with the stress and anxiety of going to work each day, should some of the dire predictions pan out.

bacha29

What should we do?
1. If you need some surgery, get it done now. The only drawback will be that if they move while you are on leave, you will not go to the new place. You will still get paid if you are on disability.
2. Folks are going sooner, like Clarksville and Cookeville, spend your personals, floaters, and call in sick...you wont get paid for those if you leave. They will pay you your vacation days after you are no longer with the company. Sell back as many as you can now to get the money sooner.
3. Get yourself fired before the merger. You will get unemployment for being fired unless you steal, sabotage, or fight and threaten. Get a friend to report an unreported accident, or one no call no show, one dropped trailer, and then a fender bender. You may only need one Warning Letter to get fired.
4. It sucks but stay positive. I called years ago and benefits told me that I got the same money whether I quit or got fired. Have some fun and screw off. We are officially short timers anyway. Play hooky and take the wife out to a movie and dinner.
5. I am 54 and had hoped to stay to 58ish. We may be in different situations, but we MUST go look at the numbers if we are close to retiring . In case

Also, the retiree escrow account that will pay some of our insurance is still available. It is hard to find at work but will see if I have a copy
Absolutely!
1. Raise Cash
2. Postpone debt financed purchases if you can and restructure debt
Will be hard to do if an era of rising rates but see what you can do.
3. Heath insurance. Buying through COBRA will likely be very costly. Therefore
if you are lucky enough to live in a progressive forward thinking state that joined the
ACA and expanded Medicaid learn how it works and it's programs
4. If a good offer falls into your lap take it and don't worry about a 2 week notice.
What are they going to do....Fire you?
5. Your monthly Social Security benefit is based on your highest 35 earning years.
Current talk in Congress is raising it to your highest 40 years. Don't stay unemployed
for too long.
6. Fedex is now....Jungleland. Your fellow Express box hog and best friend could be
going after the same new job you're trying to get. Because in the end you take
what the economy will give you
7. For many the hardest part will the psychological impact of coming to terms with the fact
that Fat Freddy doesn't give a flying face fornication about what happens to you....Never did.
8 Don't go to work for a Ground contractor.....No matter what. All you're doing is making it
easy for him. After all....they have all the answers....or so they think.

Spam

Absolutely!
1. Raise Cash
2. Postpone debt financed purchases if you can and restructure debt
Will be hard to do if an era of rising rates but see what you can do.
3. Heath insurance. Buying through COBRA will likely be very costly. Therefore
if you are lucky enough to live in a progressive forward thinking state that joined the
ACA and expanded Medicaid learn how it works and it's programs
4. If a good offer falls into your lap take it and don't worry about a 2 week notice.
5. Your monthly Social Security benefit is based on your highest 35 earning years.
Current talk in Congress is raising it to your highest 40 years. Don't stay unemployed
for too long.
6. Fedex is now....Jungleland. Your fellow Express box hog and best friend could be
going after the same new job you're trying to get. Because in the end you take
what the economy will give you
7. For many the hardest part will the psychological impact of coming to terms with the fact
that Fat Freddy doesn't give a flying face fornication about what happens to you....Never did.
8 Don't go to work for a Ground contractor.....No matter what. All you're doing is making it
easy for him. After all....they have all the answers....or so they think.
What a life you live🤦🏻‍♂️

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I thought I read ground was being merged into express, not the other way around, implying most couriers would be company employees.
No you read the written nonsense of people who are riddled with delusional thinking and no common sense. I give them credit for being able to type out somewhat comprehensible paragraphs though.

Serf

I’m in a fairly large station that serves the northeast. Pure speculation, I could prob easily land a pure P1 route. But than again, who knows?

zeev

Great post ,yes he knows he’s lying. CDL training is the only growth business at Express, thanks on the stupid RLA discussion, Ground drivers work for independent contractors not FedEx that was their only purpose.

bacha29

Great post ,yes he knows he’s lying. CDL training is the only growth business at Express, thanks on the stupid RLA discussion, Ground drivers work for independent contractors not FedEx that was their only purpose.
Look for Ground linehaul to take over a large share of the Express linehaul and shuttle truck operations. The only benefit they'll serve would be for driver resume building.

Lates

Look for Ground linehaul to take over a large share of the Express linehaul and shuttle truck operations. The only benefit they'll serve would be for driver resume building.
Haven’t seen that anywhere they are still hiring cdl drivers in most areas.

MassWineGuy

The new name has been said to become "One FedEx." It appears that some stations are going to be closed and absorbed before the end of the fiscal year. So far, they seem to be the smaller and easier to deal with locations. I feel for everyone that will be affected, but FedEx has been screwing the employ for years and I do not expect them to handle this situation in any other way. We are totally screwed and have no real course of action at this point, so there is no need to argue whether or not we are truly under the RLA or not. I hate to be negative, but this craphole company is a negative company.

What will happen to the ones who do not go to ground? I bet my last dollar that they will be offered a position at the large station 1-2 hours away. That will be for them because folks will start leaving and they will need replacements for them. If you do not take it, you will be displaced for ninety days. On the next day, you have resigned. Because you resigned, you will not even qualify for unemployment so you may be better off to get fired before the move.

The folks that do go to One FedEx will be used for time consuming stuff. Ground is getting paid per box and therefore not going to like driving forty miles for one stop. I am guessing that the Ground route areas will remain that way since they are under contract for an area. Also, FedEx announced that they were also closing 4,000 drop boxes. The few Express drivers that do make the move will probably be screwed with more than ever because of management. Ground managers are really only over the contractors and maybe some handlers. The contractors are over the drivers they hired. So, this Ground manager will probably be over the Express folks and ride the crap out of them. The station managers from Express will not really be needed at the new location. However, FedEx is so inconsistent and wasteful that they could go and be over the ten folks left but will probably be required to fill in as they leave and run routes all the time.

I am a truck driver at a station that does not have a Ground to go to. I think they will split the freight three ways to the Ground that does cover our area and then close the station. The truck drivers that pull station pulls may be absorbed to pull to the new One FedEx, but that is not consistent. Why contract all the delivery drivers and keep the one big truck driver.

The larger stations seem to more complicated. For instance, HSVA was told a year ago that they were merging with Ground. Then, six months ago, they were told it was not gonna happen. Well, if all the other stations are going, they will too, eventually. Maybe, for some strategic reason, they are doing it this way.

Empty, did this severance document come from your station? Where is that? Or just which region?

Empty Pockets

Empty, did this severance document come from your station? Where is that? Or just which region?
I do not know exactly who or where the severance chart came from. I got it from an RTD that I work with and he got it from another person, but the numbers coincide with JBRA was told a few weeks ago and also what Cookeville was told last week. That is why I even posted it.
Thanks for that. I’m in a much more densely populated region. Who knows what’ll happen here?

For Ground here to take over most deliveries, they’d probably need to about double the current number of drivers. What kind of starting pay do contractors pay? Nothing great, I’d think.
Don't forget, Dollar General is now a drop off location which FeDup will promote as a benefit to the customer to avoid porch pirates. Therefore, one ground driver could go out with 150 packages, drop off at six Dollar Generals, and be back to the station before lunch time.
Absolutely!

Bwahahaha, for real
honestly, if I knew my job was going to end in six weeks, I would probably just not show up to work tomorrow. Verification of Employment was contracted out to a third party over twenty years ago so there will not be any kind of reference from them. Being off would allow more time for a job search. What the hell, missing a few pay checks will not make or break me anyway so, as Gny. Sgt. Hartman pointed out, "Why give them the common courtesy of a reach-around."
I have a friend that just left Express and took over two Ground routes. He was recently told that he would have to get the TSA background check and the Haz endorsement because they would be hauling PO1. Haz is mostly on PO1 routes and station or ramp pulls.

fedx

Extra Large Package
What should we do?

You won't get unemployment for misconduct. Not reporting an accident would be misconduct. Not reporting a dropped trailer would fall under misconduct, I would imagine. Also, you should be able to get unemployment if you are offered a job 1-2 hours away and you don't accept it. That should fall under a "reasonableness" test. It's not reasonable to force you to drive that far to an entirely different city to work. That would be an undue burden. I would argue that you should demand mileage pay ($1.50/mile) if they want you to drive that far everyday. I mean they pay you mileage if you go help out another station hours away. If you are displaced because they closed your station, then that's on them, not you. If you are displaced and then lose your job as a result, you should be able to get unemployment. Some, if not most, states offer longer unemployment benefits if you're laid off. Whereas you might get 6 months unemployment if you're fired, you can get 12 months if you're laid off. Check with your local unemployment office to get the facts.

bacha29

I do not know exactly who or where the severance chart came from. I got it from an RTD that I work with and he got it from another person, but the numbers coincide with JBRA was told a few weeks ago and also what Cookeville was told last week. That is why I even posted it.

Don't forget, Dollar General is now a drop off location which FeDup will promote as a benefit to the customer to avoid porch pirates. Therefore, one ground driver could go out with 150 packages, drop off at six Dollar Generals, and be back to the station before lunch time.

Bwahahaha, for real
honestly, if I knew my job was going to end in six weeks, I would probably just not show up to work tomorrow. Verification of Employment was contracted out to a third party over twenty years ago so there will not be any kind of reference from them. Being off would allow more time for a job search. What the hell, missing a few pay checks will not make or break me anyway so, as Gny. Sgt. Hartman pointed out, "Why give them the common courtesy of a reach-around."

I have a friend that just left Express and took over two Ground routes. He was recently told that he would have to get the TSA background check and the Haz endorsement because they would be hauling PO1. Haz is mostly on PO1 routes and station or ramp pulls.
Not going to take an act of Congress or an act of God to get those indorsements. Simply reaffirms an emerging new reality. Express shuttles and linehaul gear punchers are not going to be spared from the steady transition over to a contractor operated company. The Turk will spare few Hope your Bud enjoys getting paid by the mile rather than the hour.