What will happen to the express Drivers....

Gone fishin

I do not know exactly who or where the severance chart came from. I got it from an RTD that I work with and he got it from another person, but the numbers coincide with JBRA was told a few weeks ago and also what Cookeville was told last week. That is why I even posted it.

Don't forget, Dollar General is now a drop off location which FeDup will promote as a benefit to the customer to avoid porch pirates. Therefore, one ground driver could go out with 150 packages, drop off at six Dollar Generals, and be back to the station before lunch time.

Bwahahaha, for real
honestly, if I knew my job was going to end in six weeks, I would probably just not show up to work tomorrow. Verification of Employment was contracted out to a third party over twenty years ago so there will not be any kind of reference from them. Being off would allow more time for a job search. What the hell, missing a few pay checks will not make or break me anyway so, as Gny. Sgt. Hartman pointed out, "Why give them the common courtesy of a reach-around."

I have a friend that just left Express and took over two Ground routes. He was recently told that he would have to get the TSA background check and the Haz endorsement because they would be hauling PO1. Haz is mostly on PO1 routes and station or ramp pulls.
From what I’ve heard it depends on your area ground hub. Is it staffed , is it reliable , are there many job opportunities in the area.
Our ground hub is horrible so express will be fine

Empty Pockets

You won't get unemployment for misconduct. Not reporting an accident would be misconduct. Not reporting a dropped trailer would fall under misconduct, I would imagine. Also, you should be able to get unemployment if you are offered a job 1-2 hours away and you don't accept it. That should fall under a "reasonableness" test. It's not reasonable to force you to drive that far to an entirely different city to work. That would be an undue burden. I would argue that you should demand mileage pay ($1.50/mile) if they want you to drive that far everyday. I mean they pay you mileage if you go help out another station hours away. If you are displaced because they closed your station, then that's on them, not you. If you are displaced and then lose your job as a result, you should be able to get unemployment. Some, if not most, states offer longer unemployment benefits if you're laid off. Whereas you might get 6 months unemployment if you're fired, you can get 12 months if you're laid off. Check with your local unemployment office to get the facts.
Maybe going out on a stress related long term leave for 2 years would be better

Not going to take an act of Congress or an act of God to get those indorsements. Simply reaffirms an emerging new reality. Express shuttles and linehaul gear punchers are not going to be spared from the steady transition over to a contractor operated company. The Turk will spare few Hope your Bud enjoys getting paid by the mile rather than the hour.
He is the route owner so he is getting paid for the full route. They have no insurance so he is using the 65 pre retirement money to pay for his insurance long term. Each of the routes can be pulled in less than 8 hours. If he pays for both route drivers, he will still make more than he did here topped out full time. If he drives one of them, he will make over double what he did here per year. It actually sounds like a great gig for retirement.

bacha29

Maybe going out on a stress related long term leave for 2 years would be better

He is the route owner so he is getting paid for the full route. They have no insurance so he is using the 65 pre retirement money to pay for his insurance long term. Each of the routes can be pulled in less than 8 hours. If he pays for both route drivers, he will still make more than he did here topped out full time. If he drives one of them, he will make over double what he did here per year. It actually sounds like a great gig for retirement.
Let's get this straight.....He's now a Fedex Ground linehaul contractor? Yes or no? If yes then he has to be a Sub chapter S corporation. Sounds like he's running round trip from terminal to hub and back himself? Is that correct? Believe me, he'll have to pay those 2 drivers awfully damn low money to come away more than a topped out Express driver because it sounds like a route/routes that are not getting a great deal of miles.

Then again, that's the basis of the conversion to contractors by Fedex Corporate. Not only the belief but the EXPECTATION that they will be able to procure qualified labor at wages far lower that what Fedex pays it's own employees.

And if he can't do it.....They'll just go find the next person who thinks he knows how to do it.

It will be fine

Let's get this straight.....He's now a Fedex Ground linehaul contractor? Yes or no? If yes then he has to be a Sub chapter S corporation. Sounds like he's running round trip from terminal to hub and back himself? Is that correct? Believe me, he'll have to pay those 2 drivers awfully damn low money to come away more than a topped out Express driver because it sounds like a route/routes that are not getting a great deal of miles.

Then again, that's the basis of the conversion to contractors by Fedex Corporate. Not only the belief but the EXPECTATION that they will be able to procure qualified labor at wages far lower that what Fedex pays it's own employees.

And if he can't do it.....They'll just go find the next person who thinks he knows how to do it.
Ground Linehaul is actually very competitive in the market for wages. It’s an area that the engineers are more generous because it’s vital to the network. The safety mandates all but ensure new equipment and the money is pretty good. The downside is it’s either night work or teams but the money is there in Linehaul especially if he’s driving himself.

fatboy33

Work from home. You’re gonna get a joystick and control the truck from your home. It’s FedEx bro, the leader of the delivery business
The technology is there for planes. After cut the fat on the ground, be sure they'll be looking to cut pilot employment as well. Make sense for them to try it out on cargo planes first then eventually passenger aircraft. Pretty soon, there won't be enough people to participate in the economy.....