What will happen to the express Drivers....

FedexCares

I work for fedex logistics clearing international freight for customs and I wonder how this is going to affect us. Manager knows nothing which isn’t surprising, but I’m not a driver anymore so I’m really in the dark here when it comes to the future of this opco. Going to be an interesting next few years.

Thebrownblob

This is why they’re not telling Express hourlies ANY details of the plan. It will sloooowly come out in phases to try to prevent mass quitting. Keeping employees guessing keeps most of them here until the end.
It’s too bad most are willing to allow the corporation to dictate and terrorize their life instead of taking matters into their own hands, and just walking out. Really don’t have anything to lose. What are they gonna do fire you?

It will be fine

It’s too bad most are willing to allow the corporation to dictate and terrorize their life instead of taking matters into their own hands, and just walking out. Really don’t have anything to lose. What are they gonna do fire you?
They don’t really have anything to gain from walking out. They might as well stay employed while looking for their next job. It’s not like FedEx will change course if a bunch of drivers quit. They’d just speed up the transition.

FedexCares

Really. They still have to give you your pension, vacation money, etc. I hope.
They can’t touch the money already in our portables, at least I don’t see how they could. I could definitely see them stopping the PP 100% soon though. I was one of the people who elected to continue with the old PP instead of doing the increase 401k match.

bacha29

They can’t touch the money already in our portables, at least I don’t see how they could. I could definitely see them stopping the PP 100% soon though. I was one of the people who elected to continue with the old PP instead of doing the increase 401k match.
You might want to look into rolling your retirement savings into a self managed IRA It doesn't mean that you can't use the services of a CFP professional. It just means that Fat Freddy can't beat you out of it by taking the lump sum and rolling it over.

bacha29

You don't want to do something that would give Fat Freddy the opportunity to contest your unemployment claim. At the same time however if you're one of the fortunate few who are given the opportunity to immediately jump into something as good or even better than what you currently have grab it and go. If you know that they are going to get rid of you in the end what duty do you then have to give that female dog's descent (can't use the S.O.B. description here) the comfort and convenience of a two week notice?

Thebrownblob

You don't want to do something that would give Fat Freddy the opportunity to contest your unemployment claim. At the same time however if you're one of the fortunate few who are given the opportunity to immediately jump into something as good or even better than what you currently have grab it and go. If you know that they are going to get rid of you in the end what duty do you then have to give that female dog's descent (can't use the S.O.B. description here) the comfort and convenience of a two week notice?
Well, I wouldn’t care about the unemployment, because I certainly wouldn’t want to give the corporation the ability to have me cowering every day I came into work, wondering if I’m going to be the one that they kept. I’d rather lose the job, then play their corporate hunger games. And even if you are one of the ones that get kept, how long do you think it will be before you’re gone?

Gone fishin

Here is the answer to the original question of this thread.....

If fedex does go all contractors can you imagine the leverage that gives the contractors. We need more money , Raj says nope , well all your freight will be on the dock.
If contractors are smart enough they can run the show and I’ll be retired watching Fred’s legacy burn to the ground
Express revenue will be non existent because of constant late freight and companies will flee to UPS.
It’s wrong, but I kind of want to watch this slow death

bacha29

If fedex does go all contractors can you imagine the leverage that gives the contractors. We need more money , Raj says nope , well all your freight will be on the dock.
If contractors are smart enough they can run the show and I’ll be retired watching Fred’s legacy burn to the ground
Express revenue will be non existent because of constant late freight and companies will flee to UPS.
It’s wrong, but I kind of want to watch this slow death
As we saw with Spencer Patton the odds of an organized contractor bargaining group ever being created are zero.

bacha29

Well, I wouldn’t care about the unemployment, because I certainly wouldn’t want to give the corporation the ability to have me cowering every day I came into work, wondering if I’m going to be the one that they kept. I’d rather lose the job, then play their corporate hunger games. And even if you are one of the ones that get kept, how long do you think it will be before you’re gone?
For the soon to be unemployed one way or the other age and limited job skills were almost certainly make finding new job opportunities that will be fewer in number and slower to emerge making those few months of UC even more the lifeline it is intended to be.

Gone fishin

As we saw with Spencer Patton the odds of an organized contractor bargaining group ever being created are zero.
They’ve never been in this position if it happens. I stated if they are smart enough though. They’ll have all the power, they will be the last line. It’s a beautiful thing for them

MassWineGuy

You might want to look into rolling your retirement savings into a self managed IRA It doesn't mean that you can't use the services of a CFP professional. It just means that Fat Freddy can't beat you out of it by taking the lump sum and rolling it over.

I chose the same. What do you mean by FedEx taking a lump sum? Isn’t the 401k all mine?

whenIgetthere

Business packages that have a 10:30 commit time.
My station had 1030, 1200 and 1600 P1. Big area long way from the ramp. Four zip codes (all one city) were 1030. My route was five miles from the station, I had 1200 commit on P1. Of course, my last three years or so, rarely on the road before 1000.

Thebrownblob

For the soon to be unemployed one way or the other age and limited job skills were almost certainly make finding new job opportunities that will be fewer in number and slower to emerge making those few months of UC even more the lifeline it is intended to be.
Well where I live, you can go anywhere and get a job for $20-$25 an hour tomorrow. And while the degree is nice, and I have one, I don’t know people making all that much more money with a degree unless they’re a doctor or a lawyer.

Gone fishin

My station had 1030, 1200 and 1600 P1. Big area long way from the ramp. Four zip codes (all one city) were 1030. My route was five miles from the station, I had 1200 commit on P1. Of course, my last three years or so, rarely on the road before 1000.
UPS is going to use this uncertainty in this merge and take a lot of freight. Raj better make a statement soon with a plan

bacha29

I chose the same. What do you mean by FedEx taking a lump sum? Isn’t the 401k all mine?
Fedex is not taking taking the lump sum. You're taking the lump sum and rolling it over within the required timeline. In fact to reduce costs even further Fat Freddy might just give you guys a lump sum whether you ask for it or not.