What will happen to the express Drivers....

bacha29

Well where I live, you can go anywhere and get a job for $20-$25 an hour tomorrow. And while the degree is nice, and I have one, I don’t know people making all that much more money with a degree unless they’re a doctor or a lawyer.
That's a very presumptuous broadly painted claim. If they are long standing open positions it's because even at the wages you stated because of the cost of living it's still a hand to mouth existence.

zeev

Look for Ground linehaul to take over a large share of the Express linehaul and shuttle truck operations. The only benefit they'll serve would be for driver resume building.
Ground linehaul is always short handed in my area, doubt they will takeover anything. Freight runs Ground trailers every night and even delivers packages. Adding line haul not like throwing Express packages on a Ground Route . You need to by another tractor and find a driver.

Thebrownblob

That's a very presumptuous broadly painted claim. If they are long standing open positions it's because even at the wages you stated because of the cost of living it's still a hand to mouth existence.
What are you talking about? How was my claim Broadly painted? It was pretty narrow I said where live. And I’m talking about leaving a company that’s going to take your job from you anyway, and what is very presumptuous of me? Many of these people won’t have a job anyway, There’s tons of jobs out there. They may not pay quite as much but they’re guaranteed jobs and if someone has an education and I think they can get more money go for it why would you stay for a company that you know is getting rid of you or your coworkers and creating such a hostile work environment? I would not stay and help a company complete their plan. It’s been the problem for most FedEx employees. As long as I can remember trying to organize them, they always assume FedEx is going to take care of them. And FedEx continues to punch down and yet they still take it and now they’re on their knees, begging to be not thrown overboard.

Last edited:

MassWineGuy

Confused here. When I leave I can choose to put my 401k money into an IRA or similar, right?

When you retire and start withdrawing from your plan, do you just leave it at Vanguard?

bacha29

What are you talking about? How was my claim Broadly painted? It was pretty narrow I said where live. And I’m talking about leaving a company that’s going to take your job from you anyway, and what is very presumptuous of me? Many of these people won’t have a job anyway, There’s tons of jobs out there. They may not pay quite as much but they’re guaranteed jobs and if someone has an education and I think they can get more money go for it why would you stay for a company that you know is getting rid of you or your coworkers and creating such a hostile work environment? I would not stay and help a company complete their plan. It’s been the problem for most FedEx employees. As long as I can remember trying to organize them, they always assume FedEx is going to take care of them. And FedEx continues to punch down and yet they still take it and now they’re on their knees, begging to be not thrown overboard.
"Guaranteed jobs"....."Tell me more".....Like the song from "Grease" Man I've got to hear about these so called "guaranteed jobs".

bacha29

Confused here. When I leave I can choose to put my 401k money into an IRA or similar, right?

When you retire and start withdrawing from your plan, do you just leave it at Vanguard?
If you find what appears to be offering better returns and lower management fees you can request a lump sum but it requires rolling into a qualified IRA plan within 60 days. Not telling you what to do but given that it appears that you're going to have a lot of time on your hands in the days to come it might do you some good to check out what your options are and how to make your savings go farther in the days ahead.

Thebrownblob

"Guaranteed jobs"....."Tell me more".....Like the song from "Grease" Man I've got to hear about these so called "guaranteed jobs".
Yes, guaranteed that you put your application in and you’ll get hired that week. This is not complicated. I deliver to a vast number of warehouses that will hire you same day $25-$29 an hour if you can drive a forklift and if you can’t will train you and pay you $20 an hour until you learn.

bacha29

Ground linehaul is always short handed in my area, doubt they will takeover anything. Freight runs Ground trailers every night and even delivers packages. Adding line haul not like throwing Express packages on a Ground Route . You need to by another tractor and find a driver.
In an industry that is experiencing freight volume declines and more expected to come there will be excess capacity with trucking companies looking for loads. And that excess capacity is one of the drivers behind the reorganization.
It's a nonunion company which means that they can and will go on their merry old way doing whatever they damn well please.

Throwing out these scraps of hope that Fedex Express employees are going to come out of this unharmed is a complete waste of time and could result in even greater disappointment .

bacha29

Yes, guaranteed that you put your application in and you’ll get hired that week. This is not complicated. I deliver to a vast number of warehouses that will hire you same day $25-$29 an hour if you can drive a forklift and if you can’t will train you and pay you $20 an hour until you learn.
Sure if you're under the age of 40 and you clear background checks. And one thing is absolutely not guaranteed....The duration of the employment.

MassWineGuy

If you find what appears to be offering better returns and lower management fees you can request a lump sum but it requires rolling into a qualified IRA plan within 60 days. Not telling you what to do but given that it appears that you're going to have a lot of time on your hands in the days to come it might do you some good to check out what your options are and how to make your savings go farther in the days ahead.

I’m grateful for your help.

bacha29

Now who’s being presumptuous? Any job you don’t have a union is an At will employment opportunity what’s your point?
Indeed. Entirely at the will and convenience of the employer. The hiring, firing and workplace rules and policies are entirely at the discretion of the employer. No interference or worker rights and protection from a union or other forces will be in play.
Sure you might have few labor laws to contend with but does the US Department of Labor have the manpower to keep up with all the complaints being filed?

What's happening at FDX is a classic example . It would appear that many there believed that they had guaranteed life long employment and retiree benefits only to discover that nothing of the sort does exist or ever did exist.

Thebrownblob

Indeed. Entirely at the will and convenience of the employer. The hiring, firing and workplace rules and policies are entirely at the discretion of the employer. No interference or worker rights and protection from a union or other forces will be in play.
Sure you might have few labor laws to contend with but does the US Department of Labor have the manpower to keep up with all the complaints being filed?

What's happening at FDX is a classic example . It would appear that many there believed that they had guaranteed life long employment and retiree benefits only to discover that nothing of the sort does exist or ever did exist.
Which is exactly why I’m advocating they should just leave instead of helping FedEx finish their plan. My whole point was they would be no better or no worse off. But with the satisfaction of knowing they did not help a corporation that had no allegiance to them, screw them over after many years of service for some of them.

lilwizbiz

Did FedEx lay anyone off during the 2007-08 depression ?

FedexCares

Fedex is not taking taking the lump sum. You're taking the lump sum and rolling it over within the required timeline. In fact to reduce costs even further Fat Freddy might just give you guys a lump sum whether you ask for it or not.
I was told by multiple people I that you can’t touch the PP while still currently employed at Fedex. So I’m not sure taking the lump sum while still working at fedex and rolling into something else is even an option. This may be wrong though but this was always my assumption from the information I received.

lilwizbiz

I was told by multiple people I that you can’t touch the PP while still currently employed at Fedex. So I’m not sure taking the lump sum while still working at fedex and rolling into something else is even an option. This may be wrong though but this was always my assumption from the information I received.
Nah you can’t. Gotta be with the company for a minimum of 25 years I believe til you can withdraw.

bacha29

Which is exactly why I’m advocating they should just leave instead of helping FedEx finish their plan. My whole point was they would be no better or no worse off. But with the satisfaction of knowing they did not help a corporation that had no allegiance to them, screw them over after many years of service for some of them.
That's going to be up to the individual to decide, not you or me. If that OMG opportunity comes along you bet I would be out of there so fast if would leave the door flapping in the breeze. But overall, that's not likely to happen to everyone due to the wildly fluctuating nationwide labor market with widely varied strengths locally.

New job opportunities will be slower to develop for some Express employees than it will for others along with the possibility of a severance package being offered along with an uncontested UC claim.

The best skilled, best educated and let's face it younger Express people will be picked off quickly but that's not going to be the case will all of them.

lilwizbiz

And what's the minimum age for penalty free withdrawals and what does the language say regarding disability?
I believe you can only take it out if you resign or get fired from the company. Don’t quote me on that though but that’s what I read in the brochure they handed out a long time ago when I got hired

Guitarman01

How about this headline from Bloomberg? Full article is behind a pay wall unfortunately. Update, actually I was able to read it.
Business

FedEx Overhaul Contemplates a Future With No Drivers on Payroll​

Last edited: