What will happen to the express Drivers....

bacha29

I believe you can only take it out if you resign or get fired from the company. Don’t quote me on that though but that’s what I read in the brochure they handed out a long time ago when I got hired
If it's a qualified plan then normally if you take a lump sum distribution prior to the minimum withdrawal age which is usually 59.5 years or you become disabled you can be charged a 10% penalty in addition to the taxes owed unless you roll it over to a qualified IRA plan within 60 days.

As bad as things look for Fedex Express employees figuring out what economic resources you'll have at your disposal and how best to use them will be time well spent.

bacha29

How about this headline from Bloomberg? Full article is behind a pay wall unfortunately.
Business

FedEx Overhaul Contemplates a Future With No Drivers on Payroll​

Spot on. Was there ever any doubt?....Terminal employment is like a terminal illness.....Time to get your affairs in order.

bacha29

I was told by multiple people I that you can’t touch the PP while still currently employed at Fedex. So I’m not sure taking the lump sum while still working at fedex and rolling into something else is even an option. This may be wrong though but this was always my assumption from the information I received.
The lump sum only becomes an option when your employment ends There are some rules regarding the person becoming disabled. Minimum penalty free withdrawals otherwise is normally age 59.5.

Being that you work for Logistics you might be spared but workforce reductions appear likely. I would strongly discourage any Express courier weather local P&D or shuttle or linehaul from going to work for a contractor It's a segment of the economy that will continue to become less attractive.

In the meantime determining what economic resources will be at your disposal and how best to use them will be time well spent.

lilwizbiz

The lump sum only becomes an option when your employment ends There are some rules regarding the person becoming disabled. Minimum penalty free withdrawals otherwise is normally age 59.5.

Being that you work for Logistics you might be spared but workforce reductions appear likely. I would strongly discourage any Express courier weather local P&D or shuttle or linehaul from going to work for a contractor It's a segment of the economy that will continue to become less attractive.

In the meantime determining what economic resources will be at your disposal and how best to use them will be time well spent.
If you’re disabled and can’t work anymore you’re considered “resigned”. Therefore you just take the lump sum.

FedexCares

Yeah I work for logistics and 100% remotely since 2020. Almost wondering if they ultimately plan on outsourcing a lot of our opco since a good portion of it is all computer work and is done remotely. Nothing would surprise me at this point in their quest to save a buck.

bacha29

Yeah I work for logistics and 100% remotely since 2020. Almost wondering if they ultimately plan on outsourcing a lot of our opco since a good portion of it is all computer work and is done remotely. Nothing would surprise me at this point in their quest to save a buck.
Having been through 3 of these things there was always one constant....Some will prosper....Some will persevere....And some will become impoverished.

bacha29

If you’re disabled and can’t work anymore you’re considered “resigned”. Therefore you just take the lump sum.
Under the rules surrounding the majority of these plans the minimum age to begin withdrawing funds is age 59.5 . If however you become disabled prior to age 59.5 and it is determined by a qualified medical professional that you are fully disabled and can no longer work you can begin drawing benefits penalty free.

A full understanding of the rules set forth in your plan is up to you to familiarize yourself. Same with health insurance needs. The time to start is now and with the understanding that in this brave new world Fedex is not your friend. Fedex is your adversary.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Found a picture of @bacha29 :madashell: riding his steed to warn everyone that the sky is falling.

Modern day Paul Revere.

maxresdefault.jpg

bacha29

Found a picture of @bacha29 :madashell: riding his steed to warn everyone that the sky is falling.

Modern day Paul Revere.

View attachment 424926
Coming from a long retired Fedex employee who stands there with his thumb firmly planted in his bodily orifice not trying to do a thing to help the people who through no fault of their own are about to get their entire lives molested by the executives they once completely trusted.

purpder

Attachments

• sc2-fb2-1280x720.jpg
    sc2-fb2-1280x720.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 32

Serf

My station had 1030, 1200 and 1600 P1. Big area long way from the ramp. Four zip codes (all one city) were 1030. My route was five miles from the station, I had 1200 commit on P1. Of course, my last three years or so, rarely on the road before 1000.
I’ve heard of stuff like that out west.

Guitarman01

With articles like this out there you would think FedEx would have to start moving pretty quickly on whatever plan there is. Express stations across the country are already horribly staffed in some locations, and with this news, it could get a whole lot worse.

lilwizbiz

You guys seem to think 4B in the next 4 years is a lot of savings. The company gonna make like 400B in revenue by that time. You ain’t saving 4B by getting rid of your highest revenue source which is express.