10 step pay raises

MAKAVELI

Banned
There are stations that don't get map pay. Some get sick time through city ordinances accrued by how much you work. Example every 30 hours worked you get 1 hour sick time. So some stations get like 12 13 sick days a year but no map payout. So they have to use them. Also the call in before or after holiday thing doesn't apply at some of those stations.
Most of those cities do allow for an employer to have a cap, so it's not unlimited. And some allow for carry over with a cap.

overflowed

I actually asked a cool manager about why we don't get map pay at my old station. He said when they were figuring all this out with the city, they said the map pay idea was bribery. Yes there was a cap.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I thought the term "sick day" was intended to be used when you are sick and can't work. Maybe I have gotten it wrong all these years. I guess the next time I want to go fishing, I should do like you and just call in sick.
Just because one isn't physically sick doesn't mean they shouldn't use a sick day. Sometimes you feel better physically after a mental sick day than a physical sick day.

dezguy

I've never been told that. I like it!
I was honestly shocked, the first time we were told that.

Of course, when we do actually call in, whether its because we're sick or not, management still acts all butt hurt and gives you grief for a few days, afterwards. Almost like they want you to take another sick day because of the added mental stress they're giving you. ;)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I was honestly shocked, the first time we were told that.

Of course, when we do actually call in, whether its because we're sick or not, management still acts all butt hurt and gives you grief for a few days, afterwards. Almost like they want you to take another sick day because of the added mental stress they're giving you. ;)
My station management is very difficult about letting us use our personals. I'm not fighting that fight....sick day it is.

SmithBarney

And apparently(correct me if I'm wrong, I know you will since you love me so much)

Sick day pay is taxed as regular hours, the MAP bonus pay is taxed as a bonus
Granted I don't think it makes a substantial difference, but some people feel it does.

Why is that? Doesn't everyone enjoy getting a 40 hr check every late June or early July?

SmithBarney

I thought the term "sick day" was intended to be used when you are sick and can't work. Maybe I have gotten it wrong all these years. I guess the next time I want to go fishing, I should do like you and just call in sick.

Sick can mean a variety of things, if you need a mental health day, that qualifies... if part of your mental health treatment involves fishing, go for it...
-Dr. SmithBarney M.D.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
And apparently(correct me if I'm wrong, I know you will since you love me so much)

Sick day pay is taxed as regular hours, the MAP bonus pay is taxed as a bonus
Granted I don't think it makes a substantial difference, but some people feel it does.
Hmm. I never even thought of that before. Yet another good reason for me to use my sick days. Lol.

dezguy

My station management is very difficult about letting us use our personals. I'm not fighting that fight....sick day it is.
Same here. Need to use a PB or floater? Sorry, too many people off that day or we're expecting too many call in's. Learned real quick that if you absolutely need a day off for an appointment, etc, just take a sick day.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Same here. Need to use a PB or floater? Sorry, too many people off that day or we're expecting too many call in's. Learned real quick that if you absolutely need a day off for an appointment, etc, just take a sick day.
We've had people who were having an out patient procedure ask for a personal. Sorry, can't let you off. WTH??

vantexan

Yep. Try it. You'll like it. :)
When you work in a small station and take a sick day expect a lot of hassle. Last summer when I slipped and fell it took almost a month for pain to go away yet I was back after 8 workdays. The tone in my mgr's voice was getting angry. I came back at the point I could tolerate the pain. And of course several of my coworkers acted like they wanted to spit in my face. About 15 employees, so yeah if one goes out it affects others. Funny how when they call in sick they don't want any questioning of legitimacy. It was at that point I decided to retire, tired of the B.S..

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
When you work in a small station and take a sick day expect a lot of hassle. Last summer when I slipped and fell it took almost a month for pain to go away yet I was back after 8 workdays. The tone in my mgr's voice was getting angry. I came back at the point I could tolerate the pain. And of course several of my coworkers acted like they wanted to spit in my face. About 15 employees, so yeah if one goes out it affects others. Funny how when they call in sick they don't want any questioning of legitimacy. It was at that point I decided to retire, tired of the B.S..
One year after "manning up" and forcing myself through the last few days of Peak, despite being sick as a dog, I ended up flat on my back all day Christmas Day. I swore never to do that again. If I'm sick, I'm calling out, period. I don't care who gets PO. I dont try to screw anyone, but I'm using my days.

Express Courier

When I first started working at FedEx I never took sick days for the first several years. I don't really ever get sick, maybe hungover counts but I'd still come in. Then I started figuring it out, people would use sick days. First time I used a sick day I went to a day baseball game. It was awesome.