5:00am- 3pm DOT courier

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I appreciated it when I was new (so should everyone new), but now I hate how awful some coworkers are at doing their job. I’m not sure if I’d rather be short-handed or have lazy coworkers who weasel out of stops but still get the same hours.
E8DC10A1-2B83-4154-97C6-FD6F866BEF58.jpeg

This is me at work. I only see what’s in my truck and nothing else. I learned many years ago that worrying what someone else is or isn’t doing just pisses me off so I live in my own world and ignore everything else unless it directly effects me. :)

McFeely

Huge Member
Shorthanded. When you've got what should be enough people to get it done, and they don't, that's hard to explain.

Yet we deal with it on a daily basis. Doesn’t affect my route usually, but I do hate knowing some people are quite literally the laziest sacks on earth, and they happen to be my loop neighbor.

Side note, one of our recent resignations at my station was THE laziest employee I’ve ever worked with in 20+ years. We’re actually better off with one less person than when he was actually on a route.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yet we deal with it on a daily basis. Doesn’t affect my route usually, but I do hate knowing some people are quite literally the laziest sacks on earth, and they happen to be my loop neighbor.

Side note, one of our recent resignations at my station was THE laziest employee I’ve ever worked with in 20+ years. We’re actually better off with one less person than when he was actually on a route.
My dad would always say it's better to have 3 men on a 4 man job than to have 5 men on a 4 man job. My experience says that he's right. You get more inefficiency as you increase the head count. We'd be short and everyone would do a decent job of splitting up the work. Then we'd get a few people too many and no one wants to do anything because they see what they perceive as extra bodies who didn't have enough to do -- let's give them something to do.

Stat41

Honestly, I have no problem working OT. My manager seems like a cool dude but he already pointed out a few "gaps" in my deliveries yesterday. Day 2! I'm curious what he will say tomorrow because I thought I was nailing it today. But yeah, that's why I ask. How do I respond to my manger? Just shake my head and say "I'll work on it" or something? LOL
Chances are the offer letter for the route you took states you have at least two weeks to make productivity. To be bringing up your numbers after only two days is just inexcusable. And I have never seen or heard of anyone getting terminated for non-productivity. Just do the best you safely can and realize the numbers are usually wrong. If he continues, ask for the 3 number setting check rides, and do everything by the book.

amazondriverdude

How was he lazy? LOL

falcon back

Chances are the offer letter for the route you took states you have at least two weeks to make productivity. To be bringing up your numbers after only two days is just inexcusable. And I have never seen or heard of anyone getting terminated for non-productivity. Just do the best you safely can and realize the numbers are usually wrong. If he continues, ask for the 3 number setting check rides, and do everything by the book.
The least productive courier in the station won't get terminated as long as he has a good driving record, doesn't falsify and has no acceptable behavior violations. The most productive courier will get terminated in a heartbeat for any of those 3 issues. I used to see offer letters with 30 day notices to begin making productivity. 2 days is nuts.

Star B

White Lightening
My dad would always say it's better to have 3 men on a 4 man job than to have 5 men on a 4 man job. My experience says that he's right. You get more inefficiency as you increase the head count. We'd be short and everyone would do a decent job of splitting up the work. Then we'd get a few people too many and no one wants to do anything because they see what they perceive as extra bodies who didn't have enough to do -- let's give them something to do.
working short staffed works when there is a drive by management and the C-suite to keep the equilibrium of "4 person job, 4 people" as high as possible. The MBA types have been taught "Well, they got thru it with only 3 people, now its only a 3 person job." So every job becomes a 3 person job.

Then you get the 3 people who want additional compensation for the additional workload that a direct consequence of them just getting it done. Then the MBA types hum, haw, delay while workers are burning out.

Then you lose one or two of those 3, the replacements are hired, and now you're only at 50% efficiency with the same 3 people. Orders start backing up, 1 worker is super-stressed because he's doing 70% of the lifting now for the other 15% of newbies. Weeks go by, the first employee is now back to his normal, short staffed workload without any recovery time from the burn, causing the next one to go that guy.

I also see the other half of the equation. No sense in paying bodies to sit there and do little to nothing, or to get the other workers upset at the one person doing less work. Then everyone gets lazy and productivity per employee suffers and costs get higher.

I'm far from an expert on this topic. Hell, my example above also assumes that 100% of the workers have the same basic drive of completing the work as efficiently as possible and being a fair person to each other. We know that isn't' true in the real world.

Couple that all with the fact of what we do, even with everyone hard work, can be for moot if there is one hiccup. Plane breaks down, wx, hub, pup courier doesn't put the doc in a bin and it falls behind the supplies in the truck, courier misses something at a pickup, someone mistakenly forgets to load the one bag with 2 docs because "it looked empty". When everyone has to walk the tightrope of near-perfection, mistakes become irrecoverable problems that are mind-numbingly easy to do. And by irrecoverable, I'm discussing about making your originally promised service. Yes, they'll get their stuff, but we still failed.

That also doesn't count the fact that we are completely at the whim of having less than a days notice to plan for everything to make it all happen.

amazondriverdude

Oh god, today went from easily my best day to a train wreck the last 15 stops. I did 80 stops ( was in a great mood) and then realized I totally forgot about the 3 businesses right next to each other on the same road. They were all closed of course, then I had two packages that weren't even supposed to be on my route and I was so flustered I marked them as "wrong address. In total I brought back like 15 packages. I called my trainer and told him what was up, so I hope he mentions this to my manager so I don't have to hear what I did wrong tomorrow. Obviously I need to do businesses asap. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I feel like I was run over by a train!!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Oh god, today went from easily my best day to a train wreck the last 15 stops. I did 80 stops ( was in a great mood) and then realized I totally forgot about the 3 businesses right next to each other on the same road. They were all closed of course, then I had two packages that weren't even supposed to be on my route and I was so flustered I marked them as "wrong address. In total I brought back like 15 packages. I called my trainer and told him what was up, so I hope he mentions this to my manager so I don't have to hear what I did wrong tomorrow. Obviously I need to do businesses asap. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I feel like I was run over by a train!!
One thing I learned while being a cover driver was to look at every package and make sure it was mine before I did anything else, especially packages with zeros on the yellow label. Unfortunately, there are some people who think it’s funny to dump stops on a newbie or a cover driver because they know they don’t know better. Check those yellow labels first thing.

You are new. Don’t beat yourself up over mistakes unless you keep repeating the same ones. Next time you find something while on road that isn’t yours, do NOT mark it wrong address. That’s falsification. Send a manager a message and ask them what they want you to do with them.

Last edited:

McFeely

Huge Member
Also, get someone in the station to point out the different sounds the Leo makes when doing van scans. Stuff assigned to your route will have a different beep than zero pkgs and other routes’ packages.
If you’re doing the same route everyday, get in the habit of looking at every street address on the package while you’re loading the van, like Operational said. If you’re in that habit, you’re more likely to catch crap like that in the station and you’ll know every road on your route.

Empty Pockets

And in other stations some outer area routes were changed where stuff due by 10:30 is deliveried by PTers and the FTers after maybe working 30 years at FedEx, we’re forced to routes that start at 11:00 and they’re supposed to be out til 8:00pm. Morale is in the crapper.
That is what is coming to stations around me. Casuals are already coming in and doing the sort. Only one Full Timer comes in early. The manager at my main station told me that the plan is that all full timers, except one or two, will be starting at 11am and will only be delivering P2 business packages.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That is what is coming to stations around me. Casuals are already coming in and doing the sort. Only one Full Timer comes in early. The manager at my main station told me that the plan is that all full timers, except one or two, will be starting at 11am and will only be delivering P2 business packages.
Have y’all had a lot of FTers retire or quit?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If I was a FTer there and was moved to 11:00 start, I would lmao if they called me at 7:00 am asking if I would do the sort because they didn’t have enough casuals to man it. Or even if they asked the night before.

Empty Pockets

Have y’all had a lot of FTers retire or quit?
Not yet, but it seems that management is trying to piss everyone off so they will leave. For example, last year after Covid hit, some of the couriers were working over ten yours per day so they put them on four 10s, which is fairly rare for a courier. Now, those guys have a casual "Helper Route" that is cutting them back down to four 8s.