A Few Questions

Indecisi0n

I'm talking about back when you could request an 8 hour day and all you would get would be laughed at. An early off request would be suicide. All that would get you would be extra work because they knew you wanted off early. You all have it made now days with guaranteed 8 hour requests and 9.5 lists.
So then file, get paid and repeat.

542thruNthru

Hello, I am a loader and I have a few questions:
  1. When UPS says I receive health benefits after a year, do they mean a year from my hire date (1 full calendar year including weekends), or 365 working days (assuming no leap year)?
  2. How do I obtain a copy of my contract? I would like to understand the full extent of my rights on the job and from the research I have done, I get conflicting information. For example, I see some people saying "RTS" is meaningless and others insisting "RTS" on every document given by management.
  3. I know that I should be keeping records of my hours worked, but what other things should I be documenting and how?
  4. Are missed salts weighted more severely than normal misloads?
Thank you for your time.

This day and age everyone always has their phone on them. My steward always hands every new guy a contract and gives this website for them to also download it to their phone.

UPS Agreements, 2013 – 2018

Find out what local you are and region and download the contract you need. That way it is always at your finger tips.

Good luck and do your best to stay informed. If possible go to some local meeting so you can introduce yourself to your BA (business agent).

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
This day and age everyone always has their phone on them. My steward always hands every new guy a contract and gives this website for them to also download it to their phone.

UPS Agreements, 2013 – 2018

Find out what local you are and region and download the contract you need. That way it is always at your finger tips.

Good luck and do your best to stay informed. If possible go to some local meeting so you can introduce yourself to your BA (business agent).

Solid advice.

-Bug-

rod

Retired 23 years
The Central Region has always had that language.

Aren't you from * ?

-Bug-

Disagree----You could request an easy day but 9 times out of 10 it wasn't going to happen. There was no language in the contracts that held the company responsible for giving light days. You're best bet was to take your normal load and hope you had a friend or two who would take stuff off you.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Disagree----You could request an easy day but 9 times out of 10 it wasn't going to happen. There was no language in the contracts that held the company responsible for giving light days. You're best bet was to take your normal load and hope you had a friend or two who would take stuff off you.
In the Central Region Supplement, there is separate language from that in the Master regarding 8 hr requests, with 30-40 years worth of decisions supporting the notion that if we give a parallel effort to a normal day and give management the opportunity to make the necessary adjustments, we can bring back the stops not delivered.

I have done it at least five times in the last twenty years, never to the same center manager twice.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Bug stop breaking the rules.
We are not to expose members or their locations.
FACT
Yeah, really zeroing in on him with the * location huh. By now I'm sure the FBI has him in custody. Maybe you should focus your attention on not violating the TOS instead of ratting on others for not even coming close. But then again, I don't expect you to see your own faults. But every person on these boards can.

Last edited by a moderator:

anHOURover

Yeah, really zeroing in on him with the * location huh. By now I'm sure the FBI has him in custody. Maybe you should focus your attention on not violating the TOS instead of ratting on others for not even coming close. But then again, I don't expect you to see your own faults. But every person on these boards can.
Hey brother
Did you relay the message yet ?
Save the $$
Don't even print the ballots for 623!
ITS A NO VOTE!
Don't send and dvds.
NOBODY in this age has a DVD player !
DONT send the fancy postcards.
DONT send ugly sweater murph, angry tim or the Boston bully to 623.
Save the hotel charges.
Save the car rental bill.
ITS A NO VOTE IN 623
I got the members support
FACT
NO MATTER THE OFFER
ITS A NO
NO
NO
NO

Last edited by a moderator:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

With all due respect....

You weren't aware of that language.

In the Central Region Supplement, there is separate language from that in the Master regarding 8 hr requests, with 30-40 years worth of decisions supporting the notion that if we give a parallel effort to a normal day and give management the opportunity to make the necessary adjustments, we can bring back the stops not delivered.

I have done it at least five times in the last twenty years, never to the same center manager twice.

It's funny that you mention this.

And, I've posted it before;

It's not a "decision".

But, an interpretation of the "agreed to language".

Every Local in the Central Region has a copy.

-Bug-

rod

Retired 23 years

That is news to me. Do you have a Article # in the Supplement? I've still got some old contracts and would be interested in reading that language myself. So the warning letter I got after asking for a light day and them refusing to take anything off-- so a friend took some on his own --was junk too? Aren't they all? :rolleyes: They called it "dispatching myself".

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That is news to me. Do you have a Article # in the Supplement? I've still got some old contracts and would be interested in reading that language myself. So the warning letter I got after asking for a light day and them refusing to take anything off-- so a friend took some on his own --was junk too? Aren't they all? :rolleyes: They called it "dispatching myself".

Art 19, sec 3 CRSA.

It's not a "decision".
But, an interpretation of the "agreed to language".
Every Local in the Central Region has a copy.

Here are the "decisions", from some of the requests for "interpretation".

Last edited:

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Hey brother
Did you relay the message yet ?
Save the $$
Don't even print the ballots for 623!
ITS A NO VOTE!
Don't send and dvds.
NOBODY in this age has a DVD player !
DONT send the fancy postcards.
DONT send ugly sweater murph, angry tim or the Boston bully to 623.
Save the hotel charges.
Save the car rental bill.
ITS A NO VOTE IN 623
I got the members support
FACT
NO MATTER THE OFFER
ITS A NO
NO
NO
NO
I think you will be shocked by how 623 sees you. You are a leech. I see your coworkers turning against you.

rod

Retired 23 years
Art 19, sec 3 CRSA.

Here are the "decisions", from some of the requests for "interpretation".

I hate to admit it but I've never seen that. In the long run though it has no "teeth" to it. There is no penalty (monetary or otherwise) that I can see for the company if they don't abide by it. Maybe that is why it was never brought up when I worked.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I hate to admit it but I've never seen that. In the long run though it has no "teeth" to it. There is no penalty (monetary or otherwise) that I can see for the company if they don't abide by it. Maybe that is why it was never brought up when I worked.
Read the "decisions" again Rod.

It gives the driver the right to bring the stops back....and that is certainly a penalty for the Company at 5:30pm.

I have brought back 20+ stops on several occasions.
Needless to say, those managers "managed" better on future 8 hr requests.

rod

Retired 23 years
Read the "decisions" again Rod.

It gives the driver the right to bring the stops back....and that is certainly a penalty for the Company at 5:30pm.

I have brought back 20+ stops on several occasions.
Needless to say, those managers "managed" better on future 8 hr requests.

I see what you mean BUT we all know that UPS's idea of what 8 hours work is and what is actually doable differs greatly depending on what a "D" the manager is/was. The "less than normal performance" clause is a large grey area that you know the management team would win. I imagine anyone back in my day bringing stops back without an attempted delivery would pay for it one way or the other. Anyway I'm glad at least now days the troops have some control over their loads.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I see what you mean BUT we all know that UPS's idea of what 8 hours work is and what is actually doable differs greatly depending on what a "D" the manager is/was. The "less than normal performance" clause is a large grey area that you know the management team would win. I imagine anyone back in my day bringing stops back without an attempted delivery would pay for it one way or the other. Anyway I'm glad at least now days the troops have some control over their loads.

I brought stops back a few times on 8 hour days
Got the infamous cold shoulder for a few days nothing was said

I told them before I left it was to much work called in around noon told them the same thing called in again before I came back to bldg

Gave them every chance to take care of it they declined

Funny thing is it never happened twice with the same center mgr