Another question for old timers

PT Car Washer

Boy, truer words have never been said. But before they go online to talk about it, they spend an hour in the office after work recapping the days cardboard boxes to the girls in the office. Iā€™m sure those witty conversations about cardboard boxes are just what every lady wants to hear. ( Along with the funk they bring in the office especially is summer) Yep, sit back and laugh šŸ˜‚
They (we) than tell the same delivery stories from the last 20 years.

Back From Break
Not back in 1982. The old timers sold them down the river.

The start of the two-tier pay scale for part timers. Starting pay went from $12/hr down to $8/hr.

The company bought off the PT votes then with one time bonuses.

Yep. But they also bought off the full timers with a $1000 bonus.

$500 bonus looked good to a PT'er who expected to be gone in a couple of years.

Sure did. But the $1000 for full timers got yes votes also.

I don't remember but wouldn't be surprised if the majority voted against it. UPS as usual said it was their last best offer so it took 2/3 no to reject it.

I don't remember the percentage, but it did pass, and was not forced.

The company negotiators used it to get the dreaded two tier pay scale in place, at one point prior to that ā€œ82ā€ contract every part timer was making close to a full time driverā€™s hourly rate.

Yep. In 1985, you could have a part timer making $10.68/hr right next to another part timer doing the exact same job making $14.52/hr just because you were hired under a different contract.

If I'm not mistaken, it was $500.00 for part time, and $1000.00 for full timers

You are correct. They offered these bonuses all the way through the 1990 contract to bribe employees to vote yes.

PT Car Washer

The start of the two-tier pay scale for part timers. Starting pay went from $12/hr down to $8/hr.

Yep. In 1985, you could have a part timer making $10.68/hr right next to another part timer doing the exact same job making $14.52/hr just because you were hired under a different contract.

You are correct. They offered these bonuses all the way through the 1990 contract to bribe employees to vote yes.
In 2020 you could have a PT making $38/hr working right next to a PT making $14/hr doing the exact same job.

KOG72

Iā€™m full of it

Always vote NO

Back From Break
In 2020 you could have a PT making $38/hr working right next to a PT making $14/hr doing the exact same job.

It's called putting your time in.
So should somebody that work here 6 months make the same way as somebody's work here 35 years?

You beat me to it. He was hired pre 1982. So he has at least 38 years seniority. But yes, the part time starting rate of $8 did not move for 15 years. I think it did go up to $8.50 in 1997.