Another question for old timers

PT Car Washer

That bonus money was actually Jim Casey’s going away gift to every employee at UPS, Part time, Full time, Union and non union. The company negotiators used it to get the dreaded two tier pay scale in place, at one point prior to that “82” contract every part timer was making close to a full time driver’s hourly rate.
I worked the preload and made about $.50/hr less than delivery drivers after 90 days. Unskilled was $1.50 less. Very little OT except at Peak and PT sups wore a suit and tie and never touched a box. No right to work garbage either. If you wanted to work you joined the Union.

takesteady

what is with all the pt hate around here
Vanity, mostly. They are the under the delusion that being a UPS driver makes them super special and indispensable. Keep in mind, these are folks who spend most of every day shuttling around cardboard boxes for a corporation and then spend the last few hours before they go to sleep talking about it online. It's a crucial part of their identity, they have nothing else. Just sit back and laugh.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Vanity, mostly. They are the under the delusion that being a UPS driver makes them super special and indispensable. Keep in mind, these are folks who spend most of every day shuttling around cardboard boxes for a corporation and then spend the last few hours before they go to sleep talking about it online. It's a crucial part of their identity, they have nothing else. Just sit back and laugh.
And the part where they make at LEAST 5X more than you and support their families not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears it took to get there. That also factors in...

Yeet

Spend one day out on that road and come talk to me. You are in the presence of men, little boy. And you are out of your league.

Last edited:

Poppop80

For any long term UPS employees w/ families. Outside of good pay and benefits for being a driver. I’m 3 years in and am still questioning if this is worth considering how much time I give up and miss out on my families life? My question is? Is it worth it ?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
If I'm not mistaken, it was $500.00 for part time, and $1000.00 for full timers. Some folks are all about the instant gratifications. They don't think about long term. They would have made a LOT more money over the length of the contract if they would have voted no and more than likely have gotten a higher wage and/or benefits over the the 4 years as opposed to a 1 time lump sum. I never voted yes on the first round of negotiations of any contract in my 38 years. UPS ALWAYS low balled.

Karma...

I started in 1970......part time....just out of the Marines and going to school......also at a small center.......I was red circle guaranteed 4 hours of work..........It was a truly different company and was great.....All the people I worked with were vets as well as the management...the management came up thru the ranks..There was no bs or chicken crap....At the time pt people had to be active students and once you were not you had to leave....That was the agreement and condition of your employment agree upon by the union, ups and the employee......Dont confuse the old united parcel service with the new ups......It was a badge of honor to be part of united parcel service......very difficult to get in.......Too bad the company was sold out by the upper management going public and screwing the culture....Carols mantra of better not bigger resonates and has much credence......fyi.....the unifying contract was in 1976 after the 3 month strike with one of the agreements being that pt people were offered ft on a ratio of I remember as 1 to 5 or there abouts...over the years and contracts it increased........when the hubs and centers got bigger the pettiness also increased.

takesteady

And the part where they make at LEAST 5X more than you and support their families not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears it took to get there. That also factors in...
Lmao this is exactly the kind of the attitude I’m talking about. You talk like you just stormed the beaches of Normandy, not delivered some yuppies dog food like a glorified pizza guy. All while being oblivious to the fact that many part timers have fulfilling careers outside of UPS and probably make more than you. But hey, if it makes you feel less insecure to take out your impotent rage on us, go for it.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Squeeky wheel gets the grease. If the PT didn't want to stand up together and make their demands thats tuff. Thats how come Feeders always got better than the delivery drivers. They were more organized than delivery. Is that all you do is cry?
Geez add unions to list of the things boomers ruined.

Yeet

All while being oblivious to the fact that many part timers have fulfilling careers outside of UPS and probably make more than you.
No, you don’t. Nobody works here unless they absolutely have to. I’ve been part time for 10 years and know the guys that still are and while most of them have full time jobs outside UPS, they aren’t paying the bills and they need UPS to supplement. But hey, keep living your fantasy that you are killing it in life and not still living at your parents house.

takesteady

No, you don’t. Nobody works here unless they absolutely have to. I’ve been part time for 10 years and know the guys that still are and while most of them have full time jobs outside UPS, they aren’t paying the bills and they need UPS to supplement. But hey, keep living your fantasy that you are killing it in life and not still living at your parents house.
Is this what you tell yourself when you start regretting your life decisions? ‘ I make friend-five times ALL those stinky lazy part timers. Why don’t they want the h-honor and privilege of being a UPS driver like me?!?’

Come on man, it’s pathetic. Also, it’s time get going hot rod , Karen needs her Hello Fresh for tonight’s dindin.

Last edited:
You should go full time...🤔