Archives

C

cheryl

This article was posted yesterday by Zippo in the News thread. Anyone interested in this thread's topic will find it interesting so I've added a copy here for your convenience.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Love With Hoffa

by John D. Schulz, Traffic World (May 1, 2000)

UPS enjoys Teamsters change of tune, leadership in forging strong ties with Hoffa in new partnership

United Parcel Service, the nation's largest transportation company, feels it has taken part in one of the great trades of all time in labor: James P. "Jimmy" Hoffa for Ron Carey as president of the Teamster union. "Jim Hoffa understands business," said Thomas Weidermeyer, president of UPS Airlines and a senior member of its labor negotiations team. "He understands a very basic tenet of labor. If you want more members, you've got to want to help make companies grow."

UPS, which just last year admitted it got back to normal after Carey engineered the first work stoppage in UPS's 93-year history by taking out more than 200,000 workers in a 15-day strike in August 1997, is enjoying a love fest with Hoffa. The pair is intrinsically linked, Hoffa is up for re-election at the end of 2001, just as labor talks start at UPS, the union's largest employer. "We are in a period of understanding and mutual cooperation," Weidermeyer said at last week's meeting of the National Small Shipments Traffic Conference here. That is just about as close as any labor negotiator says to "I love you."

Weidermeyer, in response to a question, went out of his way to paint UPS's strike as a rogue move by a desperate labor leader trying to hold onto his eroding base of power. He said he doubted whether similar circumstances could happen again. "I was part of the negotiations in 1997," Weidermeyer said. "That was one person (Carey) who had a political problem. He had no interest in anything except a strike. Some of Ron Carey's associates are either in jail, on appeal or on their way to being convicted. This (strike) was an issue with Mr. Carey. This gave him a platform."

Hoffa, on the other hand, has been shrewd in his early dealings with UPS, Weidermeyer said. He was able to take credit for creating 2,000 new full-time jobs at UPS, even though it was the Carey-engineered strike that caused UPS to sign onto such a pledge. It took UPS more than two years after the strike to sufficiently rebuild volume levels to the point where they supported 2,000 new full-time jobs. But Weidermeyer said Hoffa's business acumen goes beyond the simple public relations expertise of taking credit for somebody else's work. "The internal things, grievances, settlements of disputes, have all gone well," Weidermeyer said.

Hoffa has gone out of his way to scratch UPS's back as well. UPS, simply put, is dying to fly its planes into China. Currently FedEx has the world's largest country all to itself, among American-based cargo companies. UPS has been lobbying the Clinton administration to open up China to some brown planes as well as the blue-and-orange ones. "Hoffa can say he's against the World Trade Organization but also say, by the way, let UPS deliver to China," Weidermeyer said. "It might seem a little bit of a dichotomy. But if the marketplace is there, UPS should be able to be there."

Hoffa, who is still withholding formal endorsment of the 1.4 million-member Teamsters union from any presidential candidate to wring as much leverage possible from either Al Gore or George W. Bush, is doing this because of simple mathematics. Without growth from UPS, the Teamsters are a shrinking union. In an era when less than 9 percent of all private-sector employees are unionized (down from 33 percent just 25 years ago), the Teamsters need a vibrant UPS to stay viable. "They can't affort to lose 10,000 members," Weidermeyer said. "In the last decade all the growthin the Teamsters has been with UPS. Take UPS out and the Teamsters are a shrinking organization. We have a cooperative effort going on there. The needs of our customers will be well served by UPS and the Teamsters working cooperatively."

On a related note, Weidermeyer renewed UPS's attack on goverment-sponsored rivals such as Deutsche Post and the U.S. Postal Service. UPS has long stated it believes the USPS subsideizes profits from its first-class mail monopoly to help fund its priority mail and international business to the detriment of UPS. It's a charge the USPS has denied but UPS official hardly buy it. "Our biggest competition is a government agency," Weidermeyer said. "When they make a profit, they don't have to pay taxes. It costs less (on USPS) to send a 10-pound package from San Francisco to Europe than it does for them to send that package on the ground from Baltimore to Washington. Tell me there isn't some cross-subsidization going on? I don't call that a level playing field."

On a darker note, Weidermeyer brought up the federal government's seizure of Elian Gonzales last weekend as an example of how the government can act arbitrarily to effect any end it may want. "On a similiar vein, like what happended in Miami the other day, our president could decide that all domestic packages should go by USPS," Weidermeyer said. "If they (USPS) are not going to play by the rules, they ought to stick to their government monopoly. They do that pretty well. It's been a long time since one of my bills didn't arrive at my house on time. Can't say the same thing about Priority Mail."

T

tieguy

Your still dodging the original question Jbul . You have held up the contract and bemoaned the fact that the evil empire does not follow it. I have asked you specifically whether you are following the contract and whether you are doing anything to make sure the contract is followed to the T by your teamster brothers and once again you attempt to squirm in another direction. My point is this both sides of the fence are guilty of not following the contract. So kill the holier than thou act.

J

jbul_ups

Tieguy,
If i violate the contract, my boss lets me know about it.Again, sure, you have 10 percenters in every organization. My point is, it is not my job to point these people out to management. I do my job, they can do theirs.
The violations I am talking about aren't the day to day minor violations that can be handled by the grievence procedure. This is about major company wide violations of the contract. Not one part time supe, but intentional contract violations by "the company".
I'm not holier than anybody. UPS just seems to think they can disregard the contract, then it takes an arbitrator to show them the way.Why not just do the right thing to start? 2002 isn't far off.

E

ewavegiveitup

Jbul,
You keep skating the issue and/or question tieguy is posing to you.
"Why don't the teamsters put "Peer Pressure" on the worthless ones?

J

jbul_ups

"Why don't the teamsters put "Peer Pressure" on the worthless ones?

Because it isn't my job!!!
No skirting the issue
It Is Not My Job.
I do not wear a tie.
Can I make it any plainer?

I work as directed!

T

tieguy

K,
Since we agree we're not going to follow the contract we can move on?

E

ewavegiveitup

Jbul,
Your response to my question "Why don't you put "peer pressure" on the worthless ones" was:

"Because it isn't my job"

How sad! Since, you don't feel it is your responsiblity and you are the most out spoken one on the board. I guess that shows exactly where your coming from. In your action, your are therefore condoning their behavior and don't care that the Teamster imagine is tarnished by a few "worthless workers". To that, I say "Thank you God" for the real Teamsters that do care about their image.

M

my2cents

Here is a new keyword necessary for this thread: non sequitur. The "Merriam-Webster Dictionary" defines this word as follows: First, it is a Latin derived word which means, "it does not follow" and the rest of the definition is "an inference that does not follow from the premises." Unfortunately, one of the participants in this thread is using this illogical form of reason.

J

jbul_ups

"In your action, your are therefore condoning their behavior and don't care that the Teamster imagine is tarnished by a few "worthless workers".

My inaction against a fellow brother,condones nothing,rather, it stems from the fact that in the IBT by-laws of most locals,(article 32 in mine I believe),it is a removeable offense to make derogatory statements against a fellow IBT member.I suppose the reasoning behind this by-law, is to place the burden of collecting information about a lazy worker on management, where it belongs.Removal from local membership, would also mean the inability to work in a closed shop.Ergo, no UPS job.Anyway, we have more than enough wannabe management types who will do the company's bidding for "points", and I don't intend on being lumped in that catagory.

"Labour in this country is independent and proud. It has not to ask the patronage of capital, but capital solicits the aid of labor."
Daniel Webster,Speech, April, 1824.from "Webster's works,Boston 1857, Vol. iii. p. 141.

M

my2cents

Closed shop? How quaint. This is about as totalitarian as you can get. A closed shop is based on coercion and is a cesspool for criminal activity. Have you ever seen the movie "On the Waterfront"? It's based on a true story. A return to the closed shop would be an absolute diaster for this country.

J

jbul_ups

Apparently you don't realize that UPS is a closed shop as far as Teamster covered jobs are concerned in most states.
" National Master Agreement:Article 3,Section 2.

(a) All present employess who are members of the local union on the effective date of this subsection...shall remain members of the Local Union in good standing as a condition of employment.....All present employees who are not members of the Local Union and all employees who are hired hereafter, shall become and remain members in good standing of the Local Union as a condition of employement....An employee who has failed to aquire, or thereafter maintain membership in the union...shall be terminated...

UPS has always been a closed shop for covered positions....where have you been?

And the closed shop clause hasn't subverted the company's ability to attain record profits.Where's the beef?

J

jbul_ups

"A return to the closed shop would be an absolute diaster for this country."

let's see IBT...closed shops
UAW...closed shops
USW...closed shops
IBEW..closed shops
CWA...closed shops
Your local teachers, firemen, police,all closed shops.Most Union contracts have closed shop clause.
They have never disappeared 2cents.So where is the absolute disaster?

M

my2cents

Jbul,

The closed shop was made illegal in 1947. Even this language in the CBA is misleading. Union membership is NOT a condition of employment.

T

tieguy

it stems from the fact that in the IBT by-laws of most locals,(article 32 in mine I believe),it is a removeable offense to make derogatory statements against a fellow IBT member.

Soladarity by threats and intimidation. Lovely! So you wont condone weeding out the slugs and you maintain soladarity by whatever means necessary including threats and intimidation, Yet UPS is the bad guys. Interesting.

"Labour in this country is independent and proud. It has not to ask the patronage of capital, but capital solicits the aid of labor."
Daniel Webster,Speech, April, 1824.from "Webster's works,Boston 1857

Daniel Webster never envisioned todays labour when he made this quote. At that time labour was independent and proud(and very weak) now its rife with corruption and organized crime influences. Will we ever have an IBT president that serves his entire term with honor?

J

jbul_ups

"Daniel Webster never envisioned todays labour when he made this quote. At that time labour was independent and proud(and very weak)"

Unions and guilds,the forerunners of todays organized labor,have been around long befrore D. Webster wrote this. The first craft guilds were formed in Europe in the 12th century,with the first craft guild being formed in the US in Philidelphia in 1724.I'm sure business would like the (and very weak) part to return.

The point Mr. Webster was making is, labor asks for no sufferance from business, but business needs the aid of labor.

Ergo,without labor, capital produces nothing.

J

jbul_ups

2 cents:

"but in 1951 the union shop, which requires an employee to join the union after a specific period of time, was legalized."

Taft-Hartley was vetoed by Truman, but his veto was overridden by the Republican controlled congress.

Unions then went to the Union Shop...same thing.

M

my2cents

With a closed shop, you don't work period. You have to join the union before you are hired. What you are referring to is union security. With union security a worker has a right to be a nonmember in a non right to work state. Union security is moot in right to work states. To an extent, you are right. The only real difference is the degree of coercion.

J

jbul_ups

I guess your right 2 cents, if you work in a right to work state, you can benefit from a unions gains, and not have to help bear the burden.You get the same benies as the union workers, and don't have to pay your fair share for the union's representation and negotiating. Thank goodness only 21 states have right to work laws, and I don't live in one.

M

my2cents

Your argument would make some sense if unions were true free associations. Under current labor law, they are not. Under this system, the so-called "free rider" is actually a forced rider. The real problem is exclusive representation.