Archives

M

my2cents

Big deal, what's so new about defamation lawsuits? The only intention of this thread is to intimidate people.

J

jbul_ups

Cheryl,
I didn't post this to "threaten anyone", merely to inform..This is about a corporation, going after people posting derogatory information on the internet about the corporation. It is merely FYI as far as I am concerned, something to ponder when you think about freedom of speech issues pretaining to the internet....

Seahorse, I'm no @#$% house lawyer, or any other kind of lawyer...my brother is the lawyer...and a good one at that....

and to 2cents...again , no intimidation intended, only information to ponder, if you care to.

and to all of you, the FACTS are stated at findlaw.com

here is the link,
http://www.geocities.com/mobeta_inc/slapp/2000complaint.html
but I can't guaratee it will work. If it doesn't, and your still interested in it, go to findlaws.com, look for Defamation suit...if anything, it is interesting reading.

F

famups

Forget the ERO, go for a change in the retirement. I don't need additional money to leave. Just give me 80 and out with full benefits. I think there are many others out ther just like me. I figure a neat savings to UPS of around $50,000 a year between my salary, MIP, and what retirement with benefits would pay. Sounds like a good business decision to me. Anyone at the company with years and age to have 80 has put in their share of 15 hour days and six day weeks. We are tired! Let that 24 year old with the burn in his stomach for advancement move on up with my departure. The company is going to get a lot more productivity from him or her than me. Wake up UPS! You are passing up a great opportunity to get new blood in before the next contract.

C

cheryl

Thanks for posting the link Jbul. Here's a link to the main page of the web site about the lawsuit
http://www.geocities.com/mobeta_inc/slapp/slapp.html
"... in October 1998, defendant began a ruthless campaign of terror against plaintiffs by posting defamatory, degrading, demeaning, harassing and untrue messages on several electronic bulletin boards on the Internet."

The highlight for me was the part about hidden camera in the bathroom...

G

grupsdude

Well we are up to 19 of 21 incorrect paychecks. This last check I was paid the same rate as a new airdriver for all my drive time. Not to big of an error only $40 short. Boy, this is so much better than $200 or $250. But still 19 incorrect paychecks out of 21. Something MOM would be proud of!

M

my2cents

Below is an excellent definition of defamation, which is on pages 104-05 in the ACLU's handbook on "The Right to Protest":

Defamation is any false factual statement about a person which tends to harm the reputation of that person by lowering the community's estimation of him or her or deterring third persons from wanting to associate or deal with that person. The most common examples of defamatory statements are assertions of criminal, illegal, or corrupt acts, charges of fundamental incompetence or unfitness for one's profession, and charges of mental illness or immoral behavior. Libel is defamation by written word or other relatively permanent communication; slander is defamation by spoken word.

There is no federal law of defamation, but each state is free to define defamation and provide the target of a defamatory statement the right to sue and recover damages. The First Amendment comes into play because the courts have used it to impose substantial limitations on the states' power to permit defamation lawsuits. The theory is that the more difficult it is to bring and win a defamation suit, the more protection there will be for robust free speech and press, especially discussion and criticism of public officials, because speakers, writers, and protestors won't have to fear that any misstatement that harms reputation will lead to the possibility of a damage suit.

But the Court has refused to say that defamation suits are always barred by the First Amendment. Instead, the Court has struck a balance -- permitting some defamation suits in order to protect the individual's important interest in reputation and personal integrity, while imposing restrictions on such lawsuits to protect free speech rights.

The essence of a defamation suit is that false and derogatory statements of a factual nature were made, either knowingly, deliberately, or recklessly (which is extremely hard for the plaintiff to prove), or carelessly (which is somewhat easier to substantiate). The plaintiff complaining of a defamatory statement must prove one of these different levels of fault, depending on whether the statement was about a public official, a public figure, or a public issue, on one hand, or an ordinary person and a private matter, on the other.

Additionally, on page 108 on the subject of a private person suing for defamation, the book states: "Moreover, if a private person is defamed over a matter that is not of general or public concern, it is even easier for the plaintiff to recover damages. (footnote omitted) But since most statements by protestors criticizing private people probably relate to matters of public interest, protestors probably need not worry about this possibility."

To those who are interested, the subject of defamation in the handbook covers ten pages and the book itself can be purchased on the ACLU's website. Personally, I have a mixed opinion of the ACLU, but the materials they publish are worth the purchase price.

R

retired1

I've read messages on a couple of boards from individuals that make veiled threats of legal liability if anyone posts negative information about UPS on the Internet. The motivation for this seems to be to preserve the image of the union as the sole representative of individuals when issues of concern arise in the workplace. In my humble opinion this is an attempt to isolate these people and keep them from fraternizing with the "enemy". It seems that some of these union extremists fear that if their members communicate too much with others outside of their group that the group will lose a portion of their power over them.

These tactics remind me of a religious cult that disparages outsiders and promotes their way as the only way to salvation.

J

jon

If you're not making false statements you have nothing to worry about. By the way - why did jbul disappear all of the sudden?

S

seahorse1

jon: Yeah, go figure why he vanished! If the foo :censored2:s, wear it, huh?

J

jon

I agree famups, no cash would be required to get me out to pasture, just the benefits. If they are serious about it this would be the way to handle it.

H

hr

The new rumor is that they are raising the retirement age to 57 with no buy out. Looks like the rumor mill can't make up their mind on this one.

B

brownshirt

The Teamsters for a Democratic Union offers a book about the FMLA.

They also offer lots of other books to.

Z

zippo

As Election Looms, Postal Service and Union Wrangle Over Hatch Act

Just days before the presidential election, the U.S. Postal Service has ordered its managers across the country to take a poster off union bulletin boards that describes where Al Gore and George W. Bush stand on labor-related issues.

The Postal Service gave the order after federal lawyers concluded that the poster prepared by the American Postal Workers Union violates the Hatch Act, which limits political activities by government employees.

The APWU said it would be in a New York federal court today to ask a judge to stop the Postal Service from taking down the union poster. The union said that the poster does not violate the Hatch Act, that it was intended to encourage union members to vote, and that it treats Gore and Bush in a bipartisan way.

The dispute marks the first time a union and an agency have clashed over how to interpret the Hatch Act since 1993 revisions in the law sought to make it easier for government employees to participate in politics.

During the congressional debate on amending the Hatch Act, most of the questions raised by lawmakers focused on whether a government worker could wear a campaign button on the job (not allowed) or put a bumper sticker on a private car (okay). Almost all of the debate centered on do's and don'ts for government workers interested in campaign activities and not on the kinds of materials that unions could post in workplaces.

The APWU endorsed Gore for president during its July convention and has sent mail to the homes of union members urging them to vote Tuesday. It also published a poster showing its endorsements of House and Senate candidates. The union represents approximately 350,000 postal employees across the nation.

The union poster in dispute carries the headline "Before You Vote . . . Know the Facts" and includes photographs of the Democratic and Republican presidential and vice presidential candidates. The union portrays Gore as supporting key union positions and Bush as an opponent of union positions. It also lists candidate stances on Social Security and raising the retirement age.

The poster was placed on union bulletin boards in work areas, out of sight of the public. Some postal employees complained about the poster in telephone calls to the Office of Special Counsel, the independent agency that enforces the Hatch Act, and prompted a review.

In an Oct. 26 letter, the OSC told the Postal Service: "We have concluded that this poster is partisan in nature, in that it clearly encourages readers to support one political party and oppose the other. Therefore, employees posting or displaying these posters in federal buildings would be in violation of the Hatch Act."

The next day, Postal Service Vice President Anthony J. Vegliante sent a memo to managers saying they "should remove the poster without damaging it and return it to a union official."

At least 15,000 posters were sent out by the union for use on bulletin boards.

"It is an outrageous interpretation of the Hatch Act," said Moe Biller, the APWU's president. "I have fought political repression of postal workers all my life, and I recognized this for what it is."

Feds and the Internet

Here's a tidbit from a recent survey conducted by the Merit Systems Protection Board:

More than 85 percent of federal employees say they have ready access to the Internet at work, and 62 percent of those use it on a daily basis to assist them in their work.

R

retired1

Bringing Up Baby
A Comparison of U.S. and European Family Leave Policies

Anita U. Hattiangadi
Introduction

Since the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) was passed in 1993, proponents have pushed for its expansion. The laws supporters claim that America lags behind the rest of the industrialized world in terms of family-friendly mandates and that European family leave mandates, in particular, offer examples for America to emulate. In fact, contrary to claims, the scope of the FMLA is broader than many European statutes and there is considerable variation among European countries in their family leave mandates.

http://www.epf.org/ff/2000/ff20000811.pdf

B

beaner

Currently, I am a newbie at UPS. I started with the company only 3 months ago. I came to UPS basically for the health benefits for my family (I've operated my own business for 12 years during the day but found the cost of healthcare to be skyrocketing out of reason). I hired in as a loader but found the work to be frustrating due to the lack of quality supervision, poor attitudes of fellow loaders, and the physical demands of climbing in and out of those darn trucks (my 37 yr old body is in decent shape but I knew this was not what I wanted to do everyday). When I reached my seniority I put in my letter of intent thinking I could make a difference. I received a transfer to the main sort aisle, a position that paid more and had significant less physical stress. Apparently, my sups are pleased with my work and attitude since they have encouraged me to consider a sup position. I was overqualified for the loader position, I found the sort aisle position to be a breeze. I have a good spirit and I believe that I can succeed as a sup, but I want to be able to make a difference and improve the quality of my surroundings. I am concerned that my ideas may not be "wanted". Can a sup make an impact and affect postive changes to improve morale, job quality, efficiency, and customer service? As a team player, I wonder if my pie in the sky disposition can become reality at UPS. My initial impression of the Company is positive and the opportunities seem boundless but is it worth it? No midlife crisis here but a change is in order for various reasons. Should I climb that ladder to management or stick with the timeclock union brothers?

Your thoughts would be welcomed!

G

gearstick

No one can make that descision for you...
To climb the ladder,you must be willing to relocate(although they don't demand it like they use to.)Unless you screw up real bad...
You must be willing to put your job ahead of your
family,unless it is a "dire" situation..
Be ready for looooooong hours and just like the
hourly,the more you do,the more they expect....
I also understand the benifits are not as they
used to be( medical,stock awards,etc.)
there is also the right way,wrong way and ups way.
Don't think you can change the ups way.
And remember,you are the man in the middle,you'll
catch it from your boss and your workers...
Good luck.

K

koalabear

I'm a new driver who wants to stay warm at my meet point at night. I exchange at a truck stop, but prefer to bring my lunch and sleep during my lunch and coffee breaks. Friday nights, I sometimes wait 3 or 4 hours for our regional sort to finish. Without being able to idle the truck in these cold northern winter nights, how do I stay warm? I have a good sleeping bag, but the inside of my tractor quickly reaches outside temps. Ordered a "Back seat heat plus" 12 volt heater, but will it kill my batteries, and more importantly, will it keep my tractor cab warm enough? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

B

bigbrown

I'm not a feeder driver so this idea wont help with the cold sleeping compartment but I got a little metal handwarmer for Christmas last year that my girlfriend got at Renovation Hardware. It runs on lighter fluid and stays warm for several hours. I keep it in my pocket on those frosty days.

M

moment

Well folks I'm wondering why my packages ride around on your trucks for 2,3 and even 4 days befor they get delivered?? I want to no why us business men in the Uniontown, PA. area have to go out to your location at 6:00a.m. to get our stuff if we want it on time??? Just so you don't think it's only me complaining, 19 other local area business do not get there packages and we all kinda want to no why?? I mean we are paying good cash to have you folks do your job,i.e. pickup a package from A and deliver it to B I realy don't think it takes a rocket scientist to do the job! So why is it in the Uniontown area of PA it's so tuff to get a package when it's sent UPS?? FedEx right on time Airborn again right on time, heck even the Post Office is doing a better job then UPS in this area, and I just want to no why that is??