Archives

K

koalabear

Yup, retired, that surely would. I'll add that to my list of "back-up" plans, like the hand warmer idea below. Thanx. How 'bout one of those small Coleman propane heaters, think it'd work folks? I know I'd haveta' keep a window open, but would it keep me cozy? And what about taking my chances with the high idle time, all you retired feeder drivers. Am I risking my career?

S

screwedups

Would like to tell my UPS story for comments and possible advice. Began career in '76 as partimer.
became top seniority part timer was allowed extra hours doing porter, carwasher and helper. Became full time driver in '84. Worked till '97 when liver cirrosis caused me to take a leave of absence for transplant. Cause of cirrosis was inhereted, was not alcoholic! Had transplant in '99 with miraculous recovery. Able to lift, run, jump
everything. Problem is I am now diabetic, very well controled. Took 4 months fighting to get chance to see company doctor. Had to have my doctor write letter stating I would not be diabetic in 6 months. Got to Co. doctor, was disqualified from driving and allowed to come back and work part time hours. Do very well loading 4 trucks in morning. Went from #9 on full time seniority list to always last on part time list. Less pay and hours. I'm 42 with a 25 year old liver, able to outwork people half my age. Still need insulin injection. 6 month evaluation coming up, been told by callous center manager I will be fired in January. Don't understand why UPS treats people like trash when they post on there webpage that people are their most important comodity. Your comments will be important.

S

seahorse1

You, my friend, have a Center Manager that needs to be recycled to the "People Workshop." I'd take my case to the next level, and then the next level above that if I did not get some satisfaction. The "Company" is not that calloused; unfortunately some of those who "represent us", are! Good luck to you.

U

upsyours

Yes, the trucks are supposed to be in 'stop for stop' order, but the drivers often find better ways to do their routes than those listed on the official paper for the preloaders, so you have to work with them a little. The charts that direct loaders where to put packages are often messed up. And unfortunately, the company shoves the packages down too fast everyday.
The company is now moving towards a system where 'area knowledge' will be unnecessary by putting a code on boxes to tell loaders like me where to put them in the truck. Since the turnover is so high now, it's difficult for a driver to keep a loader who knows his route. The drivers could have to double back for loader's mistakes, and often packages are on the wrong truck altogether. That can result from UPS's charts which seem to be impossible to perfect. The pace of the job can sometimes bury the loaders too. A bad load can kill a driver's day.

Eventually robots could do our work. They don't get hurt so often as us 'package jockeys' struggling to lift 140 pounders, or require decent paychecks every week.

S

screwedups

Thanks seahorse1 for your response. In my 22 years of working at UPS I've gotton along with every supervisor but this guy, so it must be him. So all I want to do is be allowed to work in some capacity to keep my benefits, afford the anti-rejection meds, support my family and have a good feeling that I am a productive person. If you say not every person in management is callous, what level can I appeal this to? Is there a way I can call coporate headquarters in Atlanta? Is there anybody out there in management that has compassion? I feel that I just fought the fight of my life and now I have to fight yet another battle against UPS. Anyone out there with any opinions please respond!

S

seahorse1

There should be some "visitors" in your center sometime over the next couple of weeks (Division Managers and perhaps the District Manager). So when you see a "suit and tie" that you don't normally see, get their attention and ask for some of their time. Use every link in the chain of command until you get to the one with the power to assist you. Perservere!

U

upsfossil

You should do a few years in your area and observe the treatment of your management. It really is nice to be able to come and go as you please. The company owns you at that point and you will have no union protection. You will also have unlimited sick days and not be able to use them.The only thing that seperated them from us was the stock. We can purchase stock now so their are similar benefits except that they have to pay for their benefits. When management leaves the company they tell a different story than they do at work. Think twice, good luck.

N

nuzog

screwedups, First of all call your business agent. If your local has no backbone, call H.R. I've never been in your situation but I talked to a driver that came into feeder last year, said his mgr in package was the same way you described your manager. H.R. helped him out tremendously. Whatever you do don't let this go. As long as you've been there you know these guys are transfered in and out of these centers, but you and I will still be there to do the grunt work, making a profit for the company. good luck.

N

nuzog

beaner, Think more than twice about this. First off I suggest you go full time first before you put on a choker(tie). My best friend went in as part-time sup.after he graduated from college, his boss made promise that he'd be full time within 6 months. Two years later, still part-time with full-time hours, made less money than when he sorted. He finally got another job at another company.
AS far as making an impact, I believe you would need to climb pretty high to make a real difference. Climbing the ladder can sometimes be very difficult.Knowledge or experience is not always the criteria for getting a promotion. Like upsfossil was trying to say, Hang around for awhile and observe. You may be one that could not live with yourself if you had do some of the tasks that may be required of you. Good luck

N

nuzog

koalabear, might want to ask your shop steward or b.a. about that. I,ve been in a sleeper last two years, we can leave our tractors on all the time we're in them. Might be able to use that as a precedent. When I was in the brown tractors I used to just pull the ivis out, but don't know if you can still do that. And also some parts of the country they have the new version. Can't help you much on different gadgets to keep you warm, doesn't get very cold out here.If you use that coleman don't forget to open window.

K

koalabear

Thanks, nuzog, I'll get with my BA about it, fer sure. I've been idling for a couple of weeks so far, anywhere from an hour to three or four per night, with not even a phone call from my "suit", so maybe now that it's cold up here in the far northeast, they'll let me keep from freezing.

S

screwedups

thanks seahorse1 and nuzog for your resonses and support. I don't know what is going to happen in January. My business agent says if I get another letter from my doctor guestimating when I won't be on the needle any more, he may be able to get me extension. So we will see then. When I started back in July, I was being paid $22.36 an hour. I called my business agent after my first check and he told me that was proper. I was a full time driver. Well my center manager reserched it and called me the day before Thanksgiving, (after I got home from the preload) to tell me I should only be making $16 per hour and now I have to pay it all back. I must admit it was a downer of a Thanksgiving! Good news is I made it back in brown, as a helper, making $10 per hour. Although I'm making less than half of full rate,
I am certainly proud of myself!

T

tieguy

Interesting , wonder what Jbul thinks of it. Usually he posts all FMLA related material on every message board under the sun.

J

jbul_ups

Tieguy;
Having recently had to undergo surgery, I have not been able to retrive messages from the court decisions service I subscribe to until today. Reading the 7th Circuit decision, I find it sad that Mr. Gilliam wasn't aware of the need to notify UPS 30 days in advance of his child's birth.I also find it disconcerting that UPS would find it necessary to fire an employee for wanting to be with his newborn child. As I have not had a chance to get the Northern District of Indiana District Court decision and read it, I do not know the facts presented to that court. However, on the surface, it appears that Mr. Gilliam's supervisor, Kinsey, was aware of Gilliam's expectant child, and even approved his initial time off. It would appear that Kinsey's first knowledge of the expectant birth would be important here.

All the more reason that our Locals need to inform the membership of their rights and obligations, and that there is a need to inform people of FMLA law.

Had Mr. Gilliam, informed Kinsey, or any other of his supervisors of the upcoming birth of his child a month before , he would have been covered by FMLA. Once informed of the possible need for leave to be with his newborn, UPS would have provided him with the necessary FMLA medical certification form,hopefully.I will be curious if Mr. Gilliam's lawyer persues this to the next level.
"The truth shall set you free, but first it will piss you off!"

J

jbul_ups

oh, by the way, yes I will be addressing this on other message boards....so what?

T

tieguy

I would agree that Unions probably should inform their people better of their contractual obligations. Since the below named failed to fullfill those. Hope everything went well with the surgery.

M

my2cents

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
FINDLAW WEEKLY OPINION SUMMARIES

LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LAW CASE SUMMARIES

11-December 15, 2000

http://findlaw.com

7TH CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS
WORKMAN v. UNITED PARCEL SERV. INC. (12/12/00 - No. 00-2159)
Where employee handbook specifically states that it "is not a contract
of employment and does not affect [employee's] rights" with regard to
defendant, Plaintiff's claim for breach of contract based on language
contained within the handbook will not lie.

To read the full text of this opinion, go to:
http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/7th/002159.html

S

stevoups

I'm a 14 yr employee college graduate and currently a driver. I have never been offered the opportunity you have and for me and many of my delivery buddies we are at a point in our career where not only would we not consider it we would encourage others not to consider it because it seems you won't get back what you put into it. However, let me point this out, if not at UPS then where? UPS is one of the largest companies in the nation with absolute endless possibilities and resources. It's like being hired by the Yankees and then them wanting you to pitch for them right off the bat. How can you say "no". Don't listen to us "nay-sayers", its called opportunity for a reason

T

tieguy

you most certainly can make a difference if you take the step. You can't make a difference if you don't. You will allways hear the stories from the disgruntles. Nuzogs for instance is a second hand screw story. The friend should not have been promised a full-time job since his boss can not promise anything more than a recommendation. The part sup who works full-time is paid doubles pay for doing so. That part-sup would have easily made more than he would if he stayed hourly. But again another story is strewn on this board on how the evil empire abuses its management folk. I started part-time I am now a manager, I feel I have allways been treated with respect. I feel my contribution to the ups family has allways been respected by hourly and management alike.

U

upsdude

Even though this post is dated, I'll respond anyway.

I was injured in September of '98 (2 ruptured disk in my neck). My first operation was performed in November of that year, the second operation came in December of '99. The total time missed from work, September 1998-June 2000. My situation was a little different because my injury could be "seen" ie: 2 operations. Also, my doctor, the UPS nurse, and my physical therapist all held the opinion that I would NEVER be able to work as a UPS driver again. I proved them wrong and I've worked "pain free" since June, but that's another story.

I found that under my states comp laws I could indeed work a "part time" job while collecting benefits. I live in Virginia and the state has a cap of $534.00 a week for comp. The Virginia cap is much less than 2/3's of my average weekly gross pay. The laws provides that a person may make up the difference IF they work within the doctors restrictions. I was able to find a job that fit my restrictions (basically doing nothing and working one day a week, kind of like a Center Manager! LOL!) and paid me $125.00. I also reported all of the income to Liberty Mutual on a weekly basis, Liberty Mutual never gave me a hard time at all. I do recommend that if you have a "serious" injury, you should get an Attorney to handle the paperwork. The laws can be very complex, don't hire an ambulance chaser, hire one that specializes in workers comp. To answer a question that many have asked, No, you can't sue for "pain and suffering" and all of that other stuff. If anyone ever tells you that they took a "settlement" from UPS for that knee injury etc for hundreds of thousands of dollars, they are LYING! Ask to see the check!