Archives

T

tieguy

Post some tracking numbers of packages you've had problems with And I'll try to find out why.

H

hr

Management at UPS can be a great career. In the end it all comes down to a choice about your lifestyle. Working as a driver and eventually becoming a feeder driver is a good solid career that will support your family well. Taking the step to management is a bit riskier since the parameters of the jobs that you may have are not defined when you make the decision to take that direction with your career path. If you stay in the hourly ranks you can see your entire career in front of you, it's up to you to decide if that is a source of security or frustration.

M

my2cents

For whatever it is worth, I think some of those packages are being missorted. If I'm not mistaken, there are four Uniontowns in PA. My source is a Rand McNally map. There is one in Venango county, one in Indiana county, one in York county and the last in Fayette county. If one were to drive around the loop of all four Uniontowns, it is about 600 miles worth of driving. This is my theory, but this might explain why some of your packages end up riding around. I don't know what UPS hubs are in the area because I don't live there. If you can verify this with tracking records, I would call UPS customer service and explain to them about this potential problem. You can also check your packages to see if there are address correction labels on them. If these packages are incorrectly addressed, chances are pretty good they are being missorted.

M

moment

Well theirs only 1 Uniontown, PA. in 15401 and my map of PA only has 1 Uniontown on it. There is a Union PA there is a South Union PA and a North Union PA but only ( 1 ) one Uniontown, PA. in PA.. :-) And why our packages ride around Uniontown PA 15401 for 2, 3 and 4 days no one knows!! Wow ZIP code so even if there were 10,000 Uniontowns the package should still come to 15401!! I heard something the other day from the music store owner just up the street from me, UPS "Unreliable People Sux" and at this point I must agree!! My tracking # shows that 3 of my packages have been on the Uniontown truck from 8:07am Tus thats like 4 days it's now 3:47pm and do I have them yet?? "NO" And they are coming from 235 miles away,i.e. Harrisburg, PA. this should have been a 1 day ship.. So I ask you folks, should I be bitching about this or not?? I'v been thinking of taking this to the stock area of the internet!! Maybe folks would stop buying UPS stock if they knew the service sucks in some areas of the USA.. The attorney up the street has been talking about a class action, get us all together and hammer UPS but then someone pointed out that the service would go from 2, 3 & 4 days to 1, 2 and 3 months to go 2 blocks.. But at this point I only have 1 distributor using UPS out of the 8 I do business with! You folks ever wonder why your business is dropping off and folks like FedEx and even the post office is way up?? Duuuuh you think riding stuff around for a week might have something to do with it??

T

tieguy

Not sure what truck your talking about. Business is up and doing great. Sounds like the problem is in your area. Again give me some tracking numbers so I can research it and I might be able to give you an answer.

M

my2cents

Moment,

I can understand your concerns and I know UPS is a big company. Many of my non-UPS friends and relatives are small business owners who rely on UPS for timely delivery of supplies and inventory. We're not adversaries, but this is our small way of helping you. If there is in fact a service failure in your area, you have every right to complain. To anyone who has been with the company for a while, potential service failures are taken seriously. Having said all of this, however, I still cannot understand how your packages are allegedly staying on the same truck for 2-4 days at a time, if that indeed is the case. I know where I work, nothing is stationary for very long. More often than not, as soon as one trailer pulls out, another one is pulling in to take it's place.

K

koalabear

Thanks, Big Brown, that should help keep my hips warm! LOL! Just kiddin', but I was kinda looking for something a little more "all encompassing", if you know what I mean. Anybody know the ramifications of just letting the truck idle and taking my chances with the supervisor yelling at me about excessive idle time? I've been threatened with a letter already, can they actually give me one for just trying to stay warm? Any other input, even from the non-knowing, would be appreciated. Thanks.

R

retired

Have you seen those heated seats for taking to sporting events? I've never tried one but something like that could be helpful. The built in seat warmers in my car keep me nice and warm when it's below 0 outside. I got one for Christmas a few years ago that plugged into a cigarette lighter. I don't know if there are cigarette lighters in your rig but that kind of seat warmer would help.

S

seahorse1

beaner: I have been where you are...including a "late start", "under challenged pre loader", etc, etc..."ALL OF THE ABOVE." I disagree with some other posts in that I think you CAN make an impact (particularly if you consider yourself a "people person.") You probably are not going to change the "sort scheme" in the hub (too many Engineers spent too many hours to develop it), but you can have your voice heard if your ideas are sound and well thought out. People skills will serve you well with this company. They are pretty simple when broken down to the smallest of elements....Treat people the way you would want to be treated, or how you would want a family member of yours treated. Usually hard to go wrong that way. Good Luck.

R

researcher

Can any of you tell me, from your experience, about how many packages each UPS delivery vehicle handles in a day and how many stops each makes?
Also, how much time is spent in traffic each day?

The UPS web site says the company has 149,000 ground vehicles and delivers 13.2 million packages and documents a day. That is about 88 packages per vehicle per day. Is that an accurate figure for how many packages (on average) an individual courier delivers each day?

T

tieguy

You have no reason to ask these questions "researcher". If by some chance you do have some need to know feel free to contact UPS corporate communications in Atlanta

R

researcher

I certainly did not mean to offend. Did I ask you something confidential or are you just skeptical of my motives?

The "corporate communications" PR people told me they didn't know what individual couriers do only what the company does in the aggregate. I wanted to ask the people who really know rather than relying on calculations from the aggregate data.

I am not trying to hide anything. I am a student working with a group of other students on a service that would provide real time, vehicle specific, traffic alerts and alternative routes to commercial drivers. I am trying to understand if such a service would be useful to UPS drivers.

If this board is not open to these kinds of questions, just let me know.

J

jbul_ups

Researcher,
That 149,000 figure includes package cars, vans, and tractor trailers in the fleet. In my experience, in a major metropolitan area , a driver may have anywhere from 80-120 stops a day. In rural area, where a lot of miles are driven, this is obviously less. Never mind Tie guy's rude answer, he is a supervisor...probably had his nose bent today, and couldn't find the dog to kick when he got home from work.

T

tieguy

has nothing to do with rudeness JBul, this information is considered confidential. Don't mind JBul he probably had his boss hold him accountable for his fair days work today.

R

researcher

Thanks JBul,
I appreciate your response. 80-120 stops a day is something like one every 4-6 minutes of an 8 hour shift. Now I understand why you guys are always running!
In those metropolitan areas, how much time is spent sitting in traffic each day?

If you feel this info is confidential, just let me know.

U

upsyours

I've been a preloader, loading the trucks, for 10 years. Since UPS keeps daily numbers on me, I can answer that question. The drivers go out with from 150 to 250 packages in the '500' sized trucks to 400 in my '1000' sized trucks. For four trucks, I load an average 900 packages per 4 hour shift. That number will climb now until Christmas with smaller packages and more housecalls.
After delivering, the drivers will pickup and handle another 2-4 hundred packages. So they're looking at handling around 500-600 packages a day. The smaller trucks are highly coveted because they can't contain as much.

I live in a rural center. I'm sure numbers are higher in the cities. As a rule, less miles = more packages.

R

researcher

Thanks upsyours,
I read a newspaper article that said the packages are loaded in the order in which they are to be delivered. Is that true? Does it mean that drivers have no discretion about where to go next and therefore may have to drive right into traffic?

Again, thanks for the info.