Archives

R

rpresence

Just wanted to say I have a special place in my heart for UPS people. Sometimes I bless them silently, especially on a snowy day for those that go out in the elements to driver and deliver. I've had some confusion as to the personality of why/how you go through what you do, but I guess that will remain a mystery to me. Anyway, for those of you who really do want to make the world a better place and can put up with the obstacles on that journey- there are people out there who do care.

M

my2cents

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
10TH CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
WALKER v. UNITED PARCEL SERV., INC. (02/27/01 - No. 99-5159)
29 CFR 1601.28(a)(2), which requires the EEOC to attach a certificate
to a Notice of Right To Sue before an employee can sue for
discrimination, is valid and administrative oversight will excuse an
employee's failure to obtain the certificate.

To read the full text of this opinion, go to:
http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/10th/995159.html
---------------------
This case has both EEOC and FMLA issues.

J

jbul_ups

Well, the Dubya and the Republicans march on Labor has begun. S.J.Res. 6 has passed the Senate,which cancels the OSHA Ergonomic Standard, and is expected to be signed by Dubya soon to pay off Big Business for their generous support. Next in the view finder, the NLRB.I suppose a little defanging will be followed by a major NLRB budget cut, to make them unable to effectively pursue businesses that violate the NLRA..Thankfully my Senators voted against S.J.Res. 6.

M

my2cents

I think AFL-CIO's Sweeney overplayed his hand with at least 90% of their forced-dues cash supporting Democratic candidates. He still hasn't gotten over the fact Gore lost the election. Additionally, according to a recent "Wall Street Journal" editorial, these ergonomic standards are vague and ill-defined: http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=85000673

The NLRB is a bureaucratic sinkhole and needs to be reigned in. In some cases, it has completely ignored Supreme Court precedent and has fashioned it's own arbitrary style of justice, which is contrary to the rule of law. This isn't surprising because the NLRA is unconstitutional anyway.

J

jbul_ups

Dubya's mad-dog economics
Who says this surplus-squandering hothead is "conservative"?

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Joan Walsh

Dubya is the cutsie nickname of Georgie Bush.

J

jbul_ups

As Princeton economist and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman observes, the benefits of the Bush tax-cut plan are mostly "back-loaded" -- they won't take effect for years to come and will be of little benefit to anyone right now

J

jbul_ups

Almost to a person, economists agree the cut can't be defended on economic-stimulus grounds, since it kicks in too late to make a difference in the current downturn. And relying on a surplus that may quickly evaporate -- especially now that the plummeting stock market will no doubt depress tax revenues too -- seems especially irresponsible today, a move that's almost certain to return the country to the days of Reagan-Bush era deficits.

M

my2cents

This thread has veered off the original subject, but why can't taxpayers have their money back, especially since our Federal Government takes too much of it to begin with? These arguments sound Keynesian to me, which is one of the reasons why our Federal Government has grown to the size it has. The Federal Government does not stimulate the economy, the free market does. A government can only interfere and plunder, which is why our Founders laid out a foundation of limited government, not leviathan.

T

tieguy

I agree My, I can't believe allowing taxpayers to keep more of their money would be labeled maddog economics. What would gore have been nicknamed ...Woodya?

J

jbul_ups

The thread IS Dubya!.. If you listen to the economists, this back loaded tax cut to the wealthiest, will do nothing to help the current downturn, as any relief comes in the out years, and that may well disappear because a falling economy will produce less revenue,and the surplus will dry up in the blink of an eye. Back to Reagan/Bush trickle down economics, which history has proven doesn't work.By the time Dubya pays back his wealthy cronies with nice tax cuts, we will be back to deficits, and a floundering social security and medicare.Most economists advise, to jump start the economy,immediate tax cuts for the middle class and poor, would do more to spur the economy, as they are more likely to spend the additional income on immediate needs.But then, what do you expect from a President who would make this statement?"We are concerned that North Korea is not keeping agreements we haven't made yet DU---UUUHbya

M

my2cents

Greenspan even agrees with Bush and he's the guy pulling the strings. I do agree there should be an even deeper reduction in taxes, but this should also correspond with a similar reduction in government spending. I also think this tax cut for the "rich" is hogwash. Personally, I would like this extra cash in my wallet, as opposed to a government bureaucrat. Even if the so-called rich benefit, so what. Most of their disposable income ends up in the equity markets or buying consumer goods, which is the whole point of this, right? Additionally, the rich drive technological innovation. They are willing buyers of new technology, which in the long run lowers costs for these devices and raises everyone's standard of living. Bill Gates has done far more for our economy than any government bureaucrat will.

J

jbul_ups

Just watching MSNBC...Seems 75% of the people according to a poll last week prefer the Democrats plan to the Bush tax cut. Under the Dubya plan, a couple making $75000 with two kids will get back $350 this year. Under the Democratic plan, that same couple gets back $2050. Of course that means Bush's buddies get a little less...;-)Seems the consensus is becoming, Bush's plan gives too little too late to affect the current downturn...and of course we now will have rising oil prices again,,,Hope Dubya has a plan for that....How about lower interset rates , so middle americans can buy cars and houses and furniture and TV's etc., and a real tax cut for middle america.

J

jbul_ups

In contrast, most families who depend on a paycheck ,not an inheritance to support
their families would receive only several hundred dollars per year or less,Menendez
said.And many lower and middle income families would receive nothing ,not a dime.
New Jersey's Robert Torricelli,who serves on the Senate Finance Committee, which will write the tax legislation, wants the 15 percent tax bracket expanded to cover income
of up to $75,000. Torricelli also wants to make tax cuts contingent on reductions in the
national debt, an idea the Bush administration opposes. This Toricelli sounds like a guy with a plan.

J

jbul_ups

My2cents;
From Greenspan himself....
Greenspan asserted he does not necessarily support the Bush plan but endorsed the trigger.Such a trigger would kick in to prevent a rising deficit again.

J

jbul_ups

Now ponder this please. What gets the economy going faster...giving the top 1% hundreds of thousands of dollars apiece, along with big business, and give the middle and poor a couple hundred bucks...or give millions of middle class wage earners, and the poor, a couple thousand bucks? Which gets more money into the economy buying goods and services faster? It certainly isn't Reagan?bush trickle down that does it...

M

my2cents

Jbul,

Your thinking is based on short-term redistribution schemes. Personally, I don't care whose plan it is. My basic thinking is lower taxes and less government equal greater opportunity for prosperity, which lifts everyone's boat.

J

jbul_ups

How about reverse trickle down....it's trickle up....the middle class has money to spend on the goods and services the rich get their wealth from......so everyone wins.....

J

jbul_ups

2cents,
Looks like a lotta boats are gonna be springing leaks if Dubya doesn't do something to kick start the economy back up.