Archives

T

tieguy

Sounds like NBC needs to get their story straight. They did a story on the today show about two weeks ago in which they said a family making 50k would get about 600 back and a family making 80K close to a thousand with the Bush plan. I'd like to see the democratic plan on paper. You and I both know the party out of power allways tries to counter any proposal on the table rather than suggesting ways to improve that plan. If the democrats were so gung ho on giving you and me 2000 bucks back they would have done so some time in the last 8 years.

M

my2cents

Jbul,

I don't think the economy is all that bad. Basically, the stock market was grossly overvalued. The market stopped making sense to me about mid-98 or so, as crowd mania pushed prices into the stratosphere. Things are finally coming back to earth and this is good for the long run. Once the hangover is cured, I'm bullish on our economy.

M

moreluck

jbul... The economy was sliding downward BEFORE Bush was ever sworn in.
Whatever ends up being passed, it should be across the board. That's the only way to be fair to everyone.
If they ever address our taxing system, I would prefer a flat percent (10%) for everybody. Also, simplification of our tax forms...no bigger than a 4"x6" card for all tax filers.

T

tieguy

As I sit here and watch Lieberman on the Brinkley show I am once again disgusted with this guy Lieberman. The democrats had their chance to implement a tax cut but of course chose not to. They knew about the budget surpluses last year but chose not to allow the taxpayer the option to keep more of their money. Once the Republicans regain the white house and a tax cut is a foregone conclusion do the democrats then come out with "their plan". Of course they paint the republican plan as catering to the rich and of course they paint the republican plan as irresponsible. If you don't have the foresight to be the first then at least support those that do.

J

jbul_ups

Tie-guy,
It is not only Democrats saying Dubya's plan doesn't work, so are the economists. One year ago the economy was robust and chugging along. It did not become apparent until late January that the economy was in a slow down, and February that we were headed to a major downturn if something wasn't done. The Democrats have a plan on the table, and I guess Dubya must be finally watching the news, as now he is willing to negotiate on the Dubya plan.As far as Dubya's plan being too little to late...it's his back loaded plan, that doesn't take into considereation the need for a major stimulus NOW, not 5 years from now. The economy needs an infusion of spendable cash to keep the plants producing, and the warehouses empty...economics 101. If the Dubya wants to be an effective President, he is going to have to get ahead of the curve, not be a reactive leader. Does he have the capability?

J

jbul_ups

my2cents,
in case you haven't heard, if something isn't done we ARE headed for a recession...check the lay-offs, and unemployment,factory capacity usuage,gross domestic output figures lately? You think the market took a plunge south because the economy isn't in trouble? Take off the rose colored glasses.

M

my2cents

Jbul,

I haven't lost any sleep over this and have no plans to hit any panic buttons. At the peak of the market, there were stocks selling at 1000 times earnings, if they had any earnings to begin with. This can't last forever and obviously it didn't. When the bubble bursts, there will be layoffs, etc. I also know a few people who work in the technology industry and these people are very busy. I am also in total agreement with Moreluck on the tax issue. She hit it right on the head.

M

my2cents

To those visitors who tried to access Black Sheep Voices over the past week, please accept our apologies for our site being down. We have just finished moving our site. The move took longer than expected. We decided to move because of those annoying pop-up ads on our old site. These ads are annoying to the visitor and to the webmaster as well. Thank you for your patience.
http://www.blacksheepvoices.net

O

oldbrownbull

Call corporate they actually have a historian and library. If anyone has the title of a book she will. Ya know one day, not long ago me, Jim and Everett were hanging out under the sidewalk in Pioneer Square and Jim decided Everett would be in charge of the books cause me an his brother were to slow in the head, but real fast on our feet. He was always writing in books, and would always be tellin Jim we was broke and didn't need no damn phone neither. It wasn't 2 weeks later Jim got a second phone and we could call ourselves if we wanted. Ya know Ah told Jim one day he was gonna build this humungous waterfall garden for his sister topside and he told me he was convinced I was nuts. But I already knew that. Maybees Ah kood rite that thar book dont ya know.

S

stevoups

My route is a training route and I'm losing it soon to new hire for a month. I couldn't find anything about training routes in my contract book. Does anyone know anything about getting bumped from your route do to a training. I.E. I believe I have no say to what route I get put on while this training is going on.

J

jbul_ups

Stevo...training route coverage is covered under your area supplemental agreement. In Central Region, "individuals holding these particular bid routes, will work as assigned when the Employer is traing in their area."

T

thatoldwheel

Flex benefit secret!
My personal experience.
I had my left ankle blow out, I toughed it out with anti-inflammatory and painkillers and damaged the tendon in my right foot and eventually the nerves in my left foot too! I ended up with a cast on one leg and needing a brace for the other. That was 3/00, I was off for three weeks, one of those was a vacation week. But this began the 12 months on STD. The next six months were pure hell, constant pain and increased medication but never missed a day of work. Threatened and intimidated, heavily medicated, 10 to 12 hours daily with a 2-hour commute. With no other work available and my deteriorated condition, I was sent home in October. The nerves that were damaged would not heal, and surgically removed from both feet. The ankle still needs to be fused. On April 12, 2001, I received a Certified letter informing me "regardless of your status on STD or LTD. Your employment with United Parcel Service is deemed terminated March 31, 2001, and this letter serves as effective notice of your termination"
I though it was just me until I heard about other cases in my own district. I am sure there are many more incidents. Good people that you just kind of heard quit for personal reasons or health problems or went on disability. If something similar has happened to you, or someone you know, please let me know. I would appreciate it, Thanks

O

oldbrownbull

If you read your book it says just that! Page 109 (page112 in the old book) what you have to do is hold up tour left hand, put your thumb on the pinkies finger nail, extend your arm out with thumb away from you. Now look at your three figers standing strait up and read between the lines.

R

retired1

The American Prospect
volume 12, issue 5
https://web.archive.org/web/20070416094444/http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/5/phillips-fein-k.html

excerpt:

Ever since the McClellan Committee investigations of racketeering in the 1950s, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) has occupied a lurid place in the American imagination. From Jimmy Hoffa to "Tony Pro," from "Red" Dorfman to Jackie Presser, the Teamsters have been known as the id of the labor movement--a seething hotbed of greed, violence, and corruption. Recent Teamsters President Ron Carey and his aides were accused of laundering money from the union treasury for use in Carey's 1996 re-election campaign. The election was overturned, and Carey was banned from the union. This January he was indicted for lying to a grand jury about his role in the scandal. And when Hoffa's son, James P. Hoffa, ascended to the presidency of the union in 1999, it seemed at first as though nothing had changed since the bad old days.

But in the two years since Hoffa became president of the Teamsters--one of the largest labor unions in the United States, with more than 1.4 million members--many progressive writers and thinkers have hailed the union's transformation. Hoffa's Teamsters have been lauded for participating in the November 1999 demonstrations in Seattle against the World Trade Organization (WTO) and for making overtures to Ralph Nader during the recent presidential campaign before finally backing Al Gore (rather than immediately casting support to the Democrats as did the rest of the AFL-CIO). As Marc Cooper wrote in The Nation, the Teamsters are "making a bid to become key players and allies in that progressive blue/green coalition that began to gel out of the gaseous clouds of the WTO protests... . "According to Cooper," Hoffa has surprised many by showing himself to be a potentially powerful ally--rather than a roadblock--in the fight for a progressive national politics."

Certainly, the union is no longer the ossified embarrassment to the American labor movement that it was in the 1980s, the heyday of Jackie Presser. Eleven years of government supervision have flushed the mob out of many locals. And once upon a time, the Teamsters would have endorsed George W. Bush, not Al Gore. (The Teamsters are, however, the only labor union represented on President Bush's Department of Labor transition team--along with the union-busting law firm Jackson Lewis Schintzler and Krupman.)

Even so, the Teamsters remain an odd amalgamation of old and new labor. Despite the union's tough-guy mystique, its real weaknesses are not much different from those that plague the entire American labor movement: decentralization, parochialism, and an inability to organize new workers locally. It's true that such structural problems are difficult to address, but Hoffa does not even appear to be making an effort to do so. The result is that under his leadership, the Teamsters have not yet carried out the aggressive organizing campaigns that characterize the best and most progressive unions in John Sweeney's AFL-CIO. While important, electoral politics and demonstrations like those in Seattle ultimately matter far less than organizing, which is what actually gives workers power on the job and in politics. Hoffa hasn't sent the union back to the Dark Ages. But can he make it into a viable political force?

When the election campaign of 2000 was in high gear, it seemed that the Teamsters had changed a lot since the days when they endorsed Republican candidates for president. On a late afternoon last September, the parking lot outside the Teamsters Local 282 union hall in Lake Success, Long Island, was packed with men and women wearing trademark black-and-gold Teamster jackets. "I Shot the Sheriff"--Eric Clapton's version--blared over the loudspeakers. When Hoffa appeared on stage, the crowd exploded in cheers. He introduced Senate candidate Hillary Clinton. Presented with a white Local 282 jacket, Clinton put it on and twirled for the crowd.

Not everyone in attendance was in cheerleader mode. Scattered here and there were Teamsters wearing "No to PNTR" T-shirts, relics of last spring's World Bank rally where Hoffa had gathered the Teamsters to protest free trade and listen to Pat Buchanan. Some in the crowd also couldn't forgive the Democrats their support of former Teamsters President Ron Carey, who trusteed their local. "Fellows that I worked with for 20 years, they said they were gangsters," said Robert Kelly, a retired Teamster. "Do I look like a mobster? I'm a working stiff." Other unions support the Democrats, but truck drivers are forced to compete with low-wage Mexican workers because of policies like the North American Free Trade Agreement, passed by a Democratic Congress and signed by Bill Clinton. "AFSCME [the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees] and the other unions won't be the ones taking the $5-an-hour jobs," Kelly said. When I told him he was being interviewed for an article to be published by a magazine based in Boston, he grumbled about the Kennedys.

But Teamsters like Kelly don't run the show anymore. Today, the union is willing to combine forces with the New Democrats (after shaking its fist at the party over free trade throughout the campaign season), even as it joins with pink-haired anarchists and the larger left to protest international financial power and the liberalization of trade. This suggests how much the union's leadership has changed its style. But at the same time, the strength of a union doesn't come from its position papers. It comes from organizing.

T

thatoldwheel

Front line supervision will realize soon that as the teamsters have cleaned up their act UPS has aquired and refined its corrution. Maybe it is finally time to organize. Maybe then front line management will actually see retirement. I had my retirement stolen from me, but still fighting for a reversal.