Archives

O

opie

Doesn't UPS have insurance to cover things like broken or lost scanners etc?...Omziggizzex, all those employees who worked for free, must be paid for their time, so if UPS refuses to pay, then they can sue. It is possible that you and others who were affected could bring a class action lawsuit if UPS doesn't change it's policy at your HUB and doesn't want to reimburse everyone who worked for free. Who know's maybe this is going on elsewhere too!

W

wily_old_vet

Sorry guys but as salary employees you are empoyed at will. Though your salary might be based on 5 hours if UPS wants you to work more hours that's the way it is. If you refuse you can be fired. Fair no.

U

ups

I think you have to check and see if you have one seniority list or not. We have 3 operating centers in our building but only 1 full time seniority list and only 1 part time seniority list. So all work would go in seniority order no matter what center as long as you are qualified.

So check with your shop steward and like posted earlier read your contract.

O

omziggizzex

If we can be worked at will then why do we have to document our time when we work over 5 hours so we can be paid for our time?

as far as employee evaluations..I've never seen one

M

mojobuc

I really don't think it will be a problem in my hub, though I have heard of the p/t sup's having to deliver packages in their own cars.
THIS I will have a problem with, since I was clasified as a 'safety concern' and kicked out of cover driving school, thus in need of some kind of advancement, or my other option was to get out, which i did not want to do.
But if I was a safety concern w/ the UPS truck, I must be a concern in my own vehicle as well, right?
As for being salary, too bad guys,
we'll see Wily, how this goes:

Class action status is being sought in a lawsuit filed against Eckerd drug stores on behalf of photo lab managers who claim that they were not paid overtime wages. The plaintiffs claim that the overtime work ``is a common occurrence,' however the companys policy does not pay for the overtime hours, which is a violation of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. The suit is seeking payment of overtime hours worked, as well as damages, attorney's fees and court costs, and changes to Eckerds employment policies.

Class action status is being sought in a lawsuit filed against Eckerd drug stores on behalf of photo lab managers who claim that they were not paid overtime wages.

O

omziggizzex

There was a class action law suit in California that UPS settled for $18 million ...and I found this on a webpage..

UPS, for example, "was clearly taking advantage of part-time supervisors by making them work extra hours week after week and then claiming they were exempt and not entitled to overtime pay," alleges Debra Hurst, attorney for the nearly 6,000 UPS supervisors involved in the case. While admitting no wrongdoing, the company has since changed its practices to pay the supervisors additional wages for extra hours.

M

my2cents

UPS settles supervisors lawsuit for $18 million
Michael Kinsman
The San Diego Union-Tribune

Oct 23, 2002

Nearly 6,000 current and former part-time supervisors at United Parcel Service in California have won an $18 million settlement over back pay in a San Diego lawsuit that caused the delivery company to revise the way it classifies exempt employees.

The settlement calls for UPS to pay between $200 and $5,300 to part-time supervisors who worked unpaid overtime over a six-year period beginning in May 1996. UPS had misclassified those supervisors as exempt and ineligible for overtime pay.

Settlements over the misclassification of supervisors in nonmanagerial jobs have been common in California. Over the past year and a half, companies such as Pacific Bell, Taco Bell, Farmers Insurance, Bank of America and Rite-Aid have been hit by jury awards or court-approved settlements.

The UPS case is believed to be the first suit settled in California over part-time supervisors.

Debra Hurst, a San Diego attorney who worked on the suit, said she believes the case could set a precedent for fast-food restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations and other businesses that depend on part-time supervisors.

The settlement was reached in late May, but UPS stipulated that it remain sealed and confidential until the company reached a national contract with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. A new six-year agreement with the Teamsters was ratified in late August.

Hurst, who revealed the settlement, said it was being done to call attention to former and current part-time UPS supervisors who may be eligible for back pay. About 50 percent of those individuals already have come forward, she said.

Although the case was settled before class-action certification was granted, former and current supervisors are asked to file a class-action claim. Hurst contended class-action status would have been a virtual certainty had the case not been settled.

The lead plaintiff in the case was George Russ Archie, a San Diego resident who worked for UPS for 18 years. Hurst said Archie had tried repeatedly to win overtime pay from UPS. He voluntarily left the company last summer, Hurst said.

In the suit, he contended that UPS workers regularly worked seven- or eight-hour days while being paid for just five hours. Part-time supervisors earned an average of $14 per hour, but saw that drop below $11 an hour because of the unpaid overtime demands.

We had no case law to go on, Hurst said. UPS was clearly taking advantage of these part-time supervisors by making them work extra hours week after week and then claiming that they were exempt and not entitled to overtime pay.

Hurst said UPS violated California law that requires exempt workers to earn twice the minimum wage and that the part-time supervisors were not supervisors at all, but acted more like lead workers who were expected to stay and work without pay to complete the jobs of nonsupervisors when their shifts had ended.

They were taking advantage of these individuals by claiming they were exempt workers, she said. In fact, these people have virtually no discretion in how to do their jobs and did the same work as nonsupervisors.

California law allows exempt status for managers, professionals and administrators who spend more than half their time on managerial, intellectual or creative work. Other exemptions are allowed for such jobs as outside sales and computer systems support.

In court documents, UPS contended it had done nothing wrong in its treatment of part-time supervisors and had complied with California wage and hour provisions.

Company spokesman Malcolm Berkley said part-time supervisors earn an average of $21,000 per year and are part of the management staff.

These are still management employees with a base salary, management benefits and management duties, Berkley said.

Part-time UPS supervisors in California are now paid a salary for 27 1/2 hours per week, with a 10 percent differential for each hour worked above that to 40 hours, when they are paid the state-mandated time and a half.

Berkley said the revision was made Sept. 1 to comply with changes in the California Labor Code.

In a letter sent to part-time supervisors in late August, the company admitted a connection between its pay revisions and the San Diego lawsuit.

About 40 percent of UPS domestic workers are unionized part-time employees. The company uses 3 1/2 - to five-hour shifts as a way of controlling labor costs and handling the daily ebb and flow of its package shipments.

M

mbeups

Yes some have closed, numbers of a few posted on other boards.

Dallas meeting was an attempt to come up with a plan to get UPS to stop stone walling the stores owners. UPS basically says that everything is wonderful, when for many store owners it is not.

There are other groups forming for a lawsuit to be filed in the midwest. PSA has refiled their lawsuit.

Another group is forming and trying to find a way to get UPS to at least admit there are problems. Basically it is a mess right now.

M

my2cents

I posted the article below for educational use, which should help in the understanding of this issue. This settlement only applies to CA.

Salaried employees have no limit on hours worked unless they are performing non-exempt labor. If that is the case, they are misclassified employees and should be paid overtime. Generally speaking, overtime is granted after 40 hours of work performed.

M

mojobuc

Toonertoo,
The kids are definitly the best part, but you know, today, just my glutes were a little sore, and I am actually starting to enjoy it the unloading part, though I may buy stock in Advil soon.
I have worked 2 jobs pretty much since I was 18, one was unloading 48-52' trailers for grocery stores, good money, but it was 20 years ago.
As for the work ethic, I tell my kids, my son more so, that he should enjoy school, and FINISH as soon as possible so he WON't have to work 2 jobs, (well the wife's/ my own business is more like slave labor, since checks are scarce) and go to school like me.

But it's all good, one more day and I get to sleep in on Saturday, till 6 AM.

Now if this P/T sup. goes through, which I think it may, since the center manager told me as recently as this morning, " hey, you know how to go down stairs? "

uh yea, oh wait, use two hands on the rail, and go down facing the stairs, right?"

"Yes. You are going to be a leader, so you have to do things right."
she did say it with a smile though.

O

ok2bclever

In the Michigan Supplement if there is no classification work in your center at your seniority level, you can bump any lower full time seniority classification that you were previously qualified for in your center.

If there are no positions/classifications that you have the seniority or qualifications that you could bump, you would have to be laid off for a minimum of one week before bumping into any other center covered by your union local the following monday that you have seniority for or bump into the part time up to two shifts if you have enough company time to do so.

As far as forcing a transfer contractually the bidding process is pretty much it. Full time bids are building wide within the classification, not center wide in the Michigan Supplement.

O

omziggizzex

the issue is not overtime, we're not getting paid at all... we may be exempt from overtime but our salary is based on a 5 hour day they can't work us for 10 hours and then expect to pay us for 5!

G

gman

I'm sure every center has someone but I think we have the most useless manipulating crybaby piece of *%#+ in the UPS corporation. This guy probably hasn't worked six months in the last six years. When he isn't on comp, he calls in every day to ask for the day off. And when he does come to work, his wife who is also a driver, stays home. Guess some one has to feed the dog. He was off for over a year, came back last Monday, took an option day Thursday, and called off Friday. He worked Monday and Tuesday and haven't seen him since. His wife has been off since the day he came back. The only good part is since he has been off so much, they have actually added a driver to replace him. And he will beg you to take his air for him to the point of tears. There is always a tragedy in the making. I just laugh at him and remind him of all the times I ended up with 30 or 40 more stops because he thought he might be coming down with a cold and had to take the day off. Being short of drivers, they would cut his run and split it up.
What bugs me is when he finally comes back to work, usually in the summer, he still takes all the summer vacation. And worse yet, he'll get the same pension I do with out doing any of the work.

Any other horror stories out there???

T

toonertoo

But they do expect you to work and most will, because of dedication. sorry wiley old vet but a part time sups hours are based most places on a 25 hr work week, that is what your pay is based on, that is why they are PART TIME sups, the FT mgmt who get premium pay are the ones who cover all the odds and ends that come up that need to be handled. The part timer should leave within an hour of the end of his operation. If you have a good FT sup, they make sure their PT sups dont get abused, but some prefer to let them take the extra work, less for them to do. and I have never met anyone in any position at UPS who doesnt go the extra mile, and dont always seek the extra pay. But lets not be ridiculous, and thats what this has turned into, PT sups are treated like second class citizens. I would have no problem being responsible for equipment I give to my hourly crew, but when brought into an operation where you did not do the allocation of equipment, then be responsible, NOPE I hope you guys get this handled and get what you deserve, keep a cool head, and stick to the facts when dealing with uppers, and never use what you cannot back up with the facts.

L

local804

He will not get the same pension as you.He would need to work 1600 hours to be entitled to 1 full years worth of pension.

T

toonertoo

GREAT POST!!!!!
Boy he is the biggest horror story Ive ever seen anywhere. I was told he called off "sore". Guess that means we should all call off every time we have a muscle twing.
I would just like to know, and some other thoughts
1> who his doc is, and this professional only needs two patients coz UPS benefits keep his house payments made.
2> How he gets away with it, and for sooooo long. I have to say my calculation is he has worked MAYBE 2 full yrs in the 12 I have been there.
3>And he hasnt been fired, or I would bet never gotten any union letters, coz he never works long enough to make a mistake.
4>Probaly never had an accident so the circle of honor should be easy for him to achieve since my 78 yr old Dad probaly drives more miles in a year than he has his entire career.
5>Then when he does work his route is cut to 4 streets and he still calls for help since he may be out past 530, but when I or someone else is on the route, we are balls to the wall, as in the one night when you and 4 others had to come take work so I could get in by 8PM
6>and he doesnt even realize he is despised, I would be embarrassed to call off "sore" for fear of people laughing at me, I guess having no pride or dignity has its advantages!!

T

toonertoo

Sometimes the kids are smarter than us and do learn from their parents mistakes, we can only hope, I know mine did. I never started college til my late 20's, I had to goof off and get nowhere first. But both of my kids have their degrees, and one is working on his masters, and one in the military, and they went from graduation straight to college, and paid their own way. My oldest even made more money than I last year..so I am proud. I guess they didnt want to do it the way I did, and Im sure glad!