MoarTape

Agreed. If you're ever involved in an accident, the first thing the Troopers will ask is "Do you have any hazardous onboard?"
What are you going to say? "I don't know"???

It seems pretty rare that anyone even pulls two slips. Never have two sets of paperwork either. No one is on the same page when it comes to rails. I know I shouldn't expect much these days. Hell, our twilight shift has supervisors that don't even know how they had to put paperwork in the trailers..

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Here, we have had a grievance settlement for over a decade where loaded trailers without paperwork will be treated as rehandles at the discretion of the Driver. They tried subverting that when the new electronic hazmat recording came out, but a few examples of physical hazmats being present without showing up on the electronic record put a stop to that.

I read earlier where the DOT was going to accept electonic records, with just a phone number to call to access the hazmats. That seems disingenuous on the part of the DOT as it adds an unnecessary and potentially fatal delay to what should be a simple process. Perhaps the lack of a significant tradgedy as caused them to relax. It will be interesting to see if this new process subverts our previous grievance settlement.

Oh and the guy with the 12'6" bridge? How do you not notice a low bridge like that? I had one bridge I had to go under regularly that was posted at 13'9" but you could see where they had paved a few times under it and the heat had caused the asphalt to pool up directly underneath so I never trusted that sign and went under very slowly while visually checking clearance.

So this would be why I never have paper work when I pick up a load coming from CACH, eh? haha

You should have some. I disregard the "put it on the handle" practice especially in bad/cold weather. I'll either put it in the king box or in the case of LC's it'll be tucked in the placard frame with the snap holding it in place.

Here, we have had a grievance settlement for over a decade where loaded trailers without paperwork will be treated as rehandles at the discretion of the Driver. They tried subverting that when the new electronic hazmat recording came out, but a few examples of physical hazmats being present without showing up on the electronic record put a stop to that.

I read earlier where the DOT was going to accept electonic records, with just a phone number to call to access the hazmats. That seems disingenuous on the part of the DOT as it adds an unnecessary and potentially fatal delay to what should be a simple process. Perhaps the lack of a significant tradgedy as caused them to relax. It will be interesting to see if this new process subverts our previous grievance settlement.

Oh and the guy with the 12'6" bridge? How do you not notice a low bridge like that? I had one bridge I had to go under regularly that was posted at 13'9" but you could see where they had paved a few times under it and the heat had caused the asphalt to pool up directly underneath so I never trusted that sign and went under very slowly while visually checking clearance.

The hazmat problem is a typical management trying to get away with less at the expense of the driver who will be the one answering to authorities.

As far as the bridge we had a Circle of Honor driver take a 14' trailer under a 13'9" bridge and total a trailer and tractor. Sure, 14' trailers shouldn't be in IL but then again when it has a "height 14' " decal in reverse where it can be seen in the drivers mirror what's the excuse?

Johney

Pineapple King
Agreed. If you're ever involved in an accident, the first thing the Troopers will ask is "Do you have any hazardous onboard?"
What are you going to say? "I don't know"???
Let me ask this. Say you grab a load from a hub and it's already sealed you check your seal control to make sure the numbers match as well as your destination no hazmat paperwork yet there is one in there? How would you know? Who is responsible say there is an accident?

14' trailers ,here, are a lease trailer. From my understanding they're legal in CA which is where this one came from.

If 14' are not legal in your state under no circumstances can you be forced to move it, load or otherwise. Anything that happens will be on you. Our driver who had the crash received 3 citations on her license.

MaceFremonti

Went past where accident on turnpike was today....30' circle of ashphalt and jersey wall are burned solid black. Jersey wall also a 10' hole in it. The fencing along top is destroyed as well. Must have been quite nasty.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MaceFremonti

That almost looks like the Long Island Expressway if it is he's not even allowed to be on that road to begin with... Surprising made it under the 13 foot 3 inch one... can't read the sign on the second one but that had to be 12' 6"....

On a side note I saw an auto loader on fire on the Pennsylvania Turnpike yesterday. The cars were on fire not the tractor. There were completely engulfed in flames! The driver had disconnected the tractor and was about 100 feet away just filming it burn. I was on the other side of the turnpike and I could feel the heat when I drove by.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Johney

Pineapple King
That almost looks like the Long Island Expressway if it is he's not even allowed to be on that road to begin with... Surprising made it under the 13 foot 3 inch one... can't read the sign on the second one but that had to be 12' 6"....

On a side note I saw an auto loader on fire on the Pennsylvania Turnpike yesterday. The cars were on fire not the tractor. There were completely engulfed in flames! The driver had disconnected the tractor and was about 100 feet away just filming it burn. I was on the other side of the turnpike and I could feel the heat when I drove by.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Sign said 10'5" yikes!