P

pickup

The article describes it as the Meadowbrook pkwy.

Taken from the book, The Godfather :
… Afterward, all four men, the three actual assasins and the bogus toll collector, were in their car and speeding toward the Meadowbrook Parkway, on the other side of Jones Beach.

bluebiker

He was probably listening to a GPS, "Bear right in 300ft, entering Meadowbrook Parkway."

I tried using a Garmin years ago in a sleeper, put directions in for a truck to NYC coming up the NJ Turnpike, the thing kept trying to route me to the Lincoln Tunnel, "recalculating, recalculating."

The Lincoln Tunnel has a 13'0" height restriction with plenty of signs, although occasionally a truck gets stopped right at the entrances, (on both sides).

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
So I'm starting feeder school on the 7th and I'm sure with the hiring push there are quite a few who visit this site that will soon be starting the journey too so I thought we could all share tips with each other to help get through this transition.
I got my cdl learners permit and passed all the written test for all endorsements and found the free practice tests at truckers report dot com were the best prep for them. I just kept taking them till I could ace them then I reread the manual and it made more sense. The combination, general knowledge, air brakes and double/triples practice tests had me completly prepared and I passed on the first try.
I didn't find any pre-trip practice tests so I just read the chapter in the manual at the dps office while I waited to take my tests and luckily that worked and I passed it too. In Texas you also have to take a chapter 14 test so read that chapter a couple times before you test.
Hopefully this can help a little and I'll add stuff along the way. If anyone else has helpful tips please share!

Feederquacker

Just food for thought..... When you are taking your road test, especially if the State tests you, ask what the point values are for each exercise. Like hitting a cone while backing is two points I think. Leaving the unit outside the backing area or not backing far enough is like ten. Loose ten points and it's over. Try to get your instructor to give you all the point values ahead of time. Good luck and practice EVERYTHING on the pre trip 100 times!!!

overallowed

When I went to get my CDL, I started my pretrip and the grouchy old fart that tested me, while starting my pretrip, snapped at me he didn't want to fool with that. He asked how to check for air leaks. And that was all. My boss was standing across the parking lot and I didn't have one light on, the hood wasn't up. He thought I was flunking big time. It was relatively easy.

MaceFremonti

Make sure you have the phone numbers for ALL of the UPS tractor/trailer mechanics along your run in your phone.

Nothing like being stressed out over a breakdown in the middle of nowhere and realize you only have the number of your own shop in your phone and they never seem to answer......not that this has ever happened to me.....just sayin'

:rolleyes:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
remember at all times that YOU are the professional and everyone else are amateurs .

if you follow and understand the 5 seeing habits and the 10 point commentary , you will be way ahead in the game.

So I'm starting feeder school on the 7th and I'm sure with the hiring push there are quite a few who visit this site that will soon be starting the journey too so I thought we could all share tips with each other to help get through this transition.
I got my cdl learners permit and passed all the written test for all endorsements and found the free practice tests at truckers report dot com were the best prep for them. I just kept taking them till I could ace them then I reread the manual and it made more sense. The combination, general knowledge, air brakes and double/triples practice tests had me completly prepared and I passed on the first try.
I didn't find any pre-trip practice tests so I just read the chapter in the manual at the dps office while I waited to take my tests and luckily that worked and I passed it too. In Texas you also have to take a chapter 14 test so read that chapter a couple times before you test.
Hopefully this can help a little and I'll add stuff along the way. If anyone else has helpful tips please share!

Sent using BrownCafe App
First off get on a good diet. You will get fat if you don't watch those calories.

overallowed

Make sure you have the phone numbers for ALL of the UPS tractor/trailer mechanics along your run in your phone.

Nothing like being stressed out over a breakdown in the middle of nowhere and realize you only have the number of your own shop in your phone and they never seem to answer......not that this has ever happened to me.....just sayin'

:rolleyes:
In the event of a breakdown, I call my home shop, and maybe my supe. If they can't get anything done, I am sitting on the side of the road getting paid. It don't get any better than that. And if I run out of hours, I am drawing "paid travel" until they get there. I am here to make money.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
Ok first day of feeder school down and it was a lot more laid back than i thought. Our instructor is a retired feeder sup they brought in to help train all the new classes they're pushing through. I was told we needed to have everything done, tests, endorsements, class tests etc before class started but a lot of the people in class hadn't done it. Some didn't even have their permit yet!

It was all classroom today, tomorrow we get some rig time.

MaceFremonti

Try not to get frustrated tomorrow if it's your first day driving a tractor / 10 speed vehicle.... It's all about matching RPM's, road speed and gear selection. And the relationship between the three can change if your going uphill or downhill vs driving on a flat road as well how heavy a load you are pulling has an effect also.

Or you can do like I did my first few days and just continually grind it until it finds a gear to go into...LOL

overallowed

Ok first day of feeder school down and it was a lot more laid back than i thought. Our instructor is a retired feeder sup they brought in to help train all the new classes they're pushing through. I was told we needed to have everything done, tests, endorsements, class tests etc before class started but a lot of the people in class hadn't done it. Some didn't even have their permit yet!

It was all classroom today, tomorrow we get some rig time.
We had to have everything done before we were permitted to go to school. My feeder school was in a town 90 miles away, and there was no point in going if paperwork was not complete.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Downshifting was the hardest for me. If your rpms aren't right, while you're hunting for the next lowest gear, you're also slowing down. When you finally find the next lowest gear, oops, you need the gear *below* that one now. A lot of guys have trouble backing, but we have had boats in my family since I was a pup, so I was already a backer. Don't cut any corners. If something were to happen, be in the right in everything. If you were contributory to an accident in any way, chances are they will try to hang it on you. Keep your eyes way ahead on the road. Change lanes while the changin' is good, not when you're at the mercy of a 4-wheeler to let you over. Assume everyone on the road is drunk, sleepy, or texting. Or a combination of all three. I'd like to think I was a good, safe driver to achieve 34 years safe driving, but luck plays a part as well. Good luck to you in your new assignment.