Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
Well.....how is class going?
Good, practiced pretrip, coupling to a pup, down shifting and backing. Even got some highway time. Hole different world today were taking out a 45' I believe then 53' tomorrow. I'm grinding a little and missing gears here and there but I figure experience brings competence, after backing practice I even straight lined backed spot on when we got back to the yard. I love it! Big and Slow is the way to go!

Good, practiced pretrip, coupling to a pup, down shifting and backing. Even got some highway time. Hole different world today were taking out a 45' I believe then 53' tomorrow. I'm grinding a little and missing gears here and there but I figure experience brings competence, after backing practice I even straight lined backed spot on when we got back to the yard. I love it! Big and Slow is the way to go!

Feeder tip. There's only two sizes of trl when it comes to driving. 28' and 53'. Drive appropriately for each and you'll never crash anything in between.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
grinding gears is very common. When we were in class, my instructor asked me "are you going to crunch *every* gear?" and that is how I got my handle... Capn Crunch. and the GMC's back then only had 5 speeds. haha true story.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Always clear every turn in your mirrors. Never assume you got it. You may make a wide turn with a 53'er, figure there is no way you even touched the curb, only to see a flat stop sign. Wheel placement especially on the 53's is so very important. If the wheels are slid all the way back, it can make a normal turn a nightmare.

QKRSTKR

grinding gears is very common. When we were in class, my instructor asked me "are you going to crunch *every* gear?" and that is how I got my handle... Capn Crunch. and the GMC's back then only had 5 speeds. haha true story.
Funny. I heard those trucks were whatever gear it goes in is right.

QKRSTKR

And don't be a hero. If you have the room use it. I drove a twin screw for the second time yesterday in a year. Only a little different but needless to say there were some extra wide turns last night. Pulling a set I did feel a little longer, kind of an ego boost lol.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
So yesterday I got to drive a 53' footer around and it wasn't that bad, I was pretty comfortable with it turning and merging. Just get the big picture, aim high in steering and you pretty much have it made! Passed my initial ups road test, go take the dps one on Tuesday, I feel good handling all the equipment and I love the A/C! Best job so far!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So yesterday I got to drive a 53' footer around and it wasn't that bad, I was pretty comfortable with it turning and merging. Just get the big picture, aim high in steering and you pretty much have it made! Passed my initial ups road test, go take the dps one on Tuesday, I feel good handling all the equipment and I love the A/C! Best job so far!

Did you pull doubles also? If so, what do you prefer doubles or a 53 footer?