MaceFremonti

A lot of drivers where I am...including myself...prefer pulling the newer 53' trailers that have skirts. They look cool and have better brakes and suspension than any other type of trailer. With that being said I pulled a set this week that had one brand new pup with LED lights, brakes etc like the 53'....I imagine two of these with a fresh dollie would be pretty good....

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I do believe the "hula skirts" as we call them do keep spray down when it is wet. drawback: when someone hooks up from an angle and drags their fifth wheel under the skirt. All the grease stays on the skirt. Next time you pull your fifth wheel....glob of grease on your shoulder. Even with a fifth wheel puller, you can ruin a shirt in a minute. That is the nastiest grease ever!

I do believe the "hula skirts" as we call them do keep spray down when it is wet. drawback: when someone hooks up from an angle and drags their fifth wheel under the skirt. All the grease stays on the skirt. Next time you pull your fifth wheel....glob of grease on your shoulder. Even with a fifth wheel puller, you can ruin a shirt in a minute. That is the nastiest grease ever!

If you're getting grease on you then a change in methods is needed.

You should be safe now though. :)

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
haha 25 years in feeders, I learned pretty quick how to keep my browns grease free. Sometimes I see the Newbies in dispatch, and they are covered head to toe in grease...even on their face. I tell them in a real serious tone..."hey, the shop called looking for you....they got some new dollies in and need for you to go back there and roll around on them to grease em up.":funny: They will see the humor at a later date.

haha 25 years in feeders, I learned pretty quick how to keep my browns grease free. Sometimes I see the Newbies in dispatch, and they are covered head to toe in grease...even on their face. I tell them in a real serious tone..."hey, the shop called looking for you....they got some new dollies in and need for you to go back there and roll around on them to grease em up.":funny: They will see the humor at a later date.

I've been training newbs recently. If they don't have grease on them they're still virgins.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
Did you pull doubles also? If so, what do you prefer doubles or a 53 footer?

I built a set but didn't get to take it out on the town yet, from what I've heard most people like doubles better but I didn't mind the 53'. Now when the weather gets crappy....maybe another story!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Orion Syndicate

Let's see how you feel after you've been in feeders for a month and they send you back down with the sodomites in package. Don't ask me how I know it Sucks!

They're hiring 39 more people after me so I'm hoping I got in at just the right time that package will soon be a faint memory to me!

Sent using BrownCafe App

purplesky

So I'm starting feeder school on the 7th and I'm sure with the hiring push there are quite a few who visit this site that will soon be starting the journey too so I thought we could all share tips with each other to help get through this transition.
I got my cdl learners permit and passed all the written test for all endorsements and found the free practice tests at truckers report dot com were the best prep for them. I just kept taking them till I could ace them then I reread the manual and it made more sense. The combination, general knowledge, air brakes and double/triples practice tests had me completly prepared and I passed on the first try.
I didn't find any pre-trip practice tests so I just read the chapter in the manual at the dps office while I waited to take my tests and luckily that worked and I passed it too. In Texas you also have to take a chapter 14 test so read that chapter a couple times before you test.
Hopefully this can help a little and I'll add stuff along the way. If anyone else has helpful tips please share!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Warning to new feeder drivers. Feeder school doesn't really put emphasis on this happening! IT MIGHT!

Just be aware that WHILE PULLING A SET OF DOUBLES THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT YOUR EMERGENCY LINE CAN AND WILL COME LOSE OR RIP AND YOUR BACK BOX WILL LOCK UP!

Dont freak when you see your back box sliding with a lot of smoke OFF TIRES and your speed dropping fast.

Stay on accelerator hard and try to get off road. IF IT HAPPENS ON A BRIDGE? Good luck.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
It happened to me one night. The snubber on the front box failed, causing a slack space in the pintle. Some how my air hose got in there and it pinched a big hole in the air line. Everything that purplesky says is true. In addition, your air drops quickly and your low air buzzer goes off. I was in the right lane and was able to get to the shoulder. Took my crescent wrench out of my bag, removed the air hose off my rear box and replaced the airhose on my front box with it. Lost about 15 minutes. Cars whizzing by me at 60 mph 3' away from me. Scared the crap out of me.

Orion Syndicate

Warning to new feeder drivers. Feeder school doesn't really put emphasis on this happening! IT MIGHT!

Just be aware that WHILE PULLING A SET OF DOUBLES THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT YOUR EMERGENCY LINE CAN AND WILL COME LOSE OR RIP AND YOUR BACK BOX WILL LOCK UP!

Dont freak when you see your back box sliding with a lot of smoke OFF TIRES and your speed dropping fast.

Stay on accelerator hard and try to get off road. IF IT HAPPENS ON A BRIDGE? Good luck.
I like to have a lot of space driving naturally and have an escape route, you really don't know how you'll react till it happens but I'm super cautious by habit so hopefully I'll eke my head and make wise decisions when this happens.

Sent using BrownCafe App