superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Went full time in 08, luckily for me we end tail seniority wise into feeders down here so when the old timers wise up and sign that bid sheet they'll be covering my run while I'm on vacation! Lol

So did I. I'm hoping that with junior FT employees, PT employees, and off the street hires, I'll be sitting kind of pretty.

P

pickup

Warning to new feeder drivers. Feeder school doesn't really put emphasis on this happening! IT MIGHT!

Just be aware that WHILE PULLING A SET OF DOUBLES THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT YOUR EMERGENCY LINE CAN AND WILL COME LOSE OR RIP AND YOUR BACK BOX WILL LOCK UP!

Dont freak when you see your back box sliding with a lot of smoke OFF TIRES and your speed dropping fast.

Stay on accelerator hard and try to get off road. IF IT HAPPENS ON A BRIDGE? Good luck.

I've learned something from those who pull doubles on a regular basis. They wrap electrical tape(the electrical tape is not used because of its ability to impede the flow of electricity) around the area where the hose and glad-hand come together so that it will be much less likely that the hose will become detached.

I have used electrical tape as well as twist ties(the ones we get to secure the the corners of the chassis) to make the marriage between hose and glad hand more likely to last .

If there is a slight detachment with the electrical tape or twist ties in place, the result will not be an immediate locking up of the back trailer. Viewing one's air gauges , i.e. noticing that the air pressure drops a bit quicker than normal before the air compressor kicks in would tell you something is wrong with that connection that you can't see.

QKRSTKR

Yes with the electrical tape. Mine came off the glad hand itself. The hose came right off the glad hand at the dolly. Glad hands were still attached. I stopped real fast but did get it off the road. It was a hose connection that had the band around the hose at glad hand. Be cautious if you see these. UPS doesn't use them, but they are out there.

One time I went to the shop after that for something else and had a connection like that and pointed it out to the mechanic. He replaced it immediately.

QKRSTKR

I will wire tie glad hand dolly if I don't like how it's connected. The only ones I do on trailers are the old container pups. Normals trailers I don't do.

Have had a lot of new trailers as of late.

MaceFremonti

Another thing they don't teach you in class is to double check all of your dollie air lines for bubbles AFTER all the tanks have had time to fill up. So when you pretrip the right side of a set and walk forward and hit the snubber you should run your hands along the hoses and check for bulges. I have found bad hoses multiple times double checking this way where as if you check them as soon as you turn the air on they may not show any weak spots....

Quigley

Been driving feeders for 21 years and have never had a glad hand come off. As a matter of fact I have never heard of one coming off till this thread.

Another thing they don't teach you in class is to double check all of your dollie air lines for bubbles AFTER all the tanks have had time to fill up. So when you pretrip the right side of a set and walk forward and hit the snubber you should run your hands along the hoses and check for bulges. I have found bad hoses multiple times double checking this way where as if you check them as soon as you turn the air on they may not show any weak spots....

Probably find every bit of grease on the hose too.

purplesky

I like to have a lot of space driving naturally and have an escape route, you really don't know how you'll react till it happens but I'm super cautious by habit so hopefully I'll eke my head and make wise decisions when this happens.

Just plan on it happening at least once in your feeder career. When your set of doubles comes to a complete quick stop in the middle of 4 lanes of rush hour traffic and your driving in the path of least resistance you won't make it to the shoulder.

Not trying to freak you out but this event seems to be fairly common and can be dangerous.

I know several feeder drivers that had their red lines rip off the dolly on a bridge in heavy traffic. NOT FUN!

Just giving you a heads up.:wink2:

Quigley

Just plan on it happening at least once in your feeder career. When your set of doubles comes to a complete quick stop in the middle of 4 lanes of rush hour traffic and your driving in the path of least resistance you won't make it to the shoulder.

Not trying to freak you out but this event seems to be fairly common and can be dangerous.

I know several feeder drivers that had their red lines rip off the dolly on a bridge in heavy traffic. NOT FUN!

Just giving you a heads up.:wink2:
Just curious since its never happened to me. How does a air line rip off a dolly while driving down the road?

purplesky

Just curious since its never happened to me. How does a air line rip off a dolly while driving down the road?

Some get pinched. On bridges the set can float and pull that line off.

Also just wear and tear on old equipment.

I guess its like not hitting a deer over a 30 year career. Some drivers are just lucky.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Never had it happen with a set (yet) but I pull LC's every day on my current run and it happens kinda frequently. Usually when I'm cutting it hard to put in on the door which isn't a big deal because I'm on the yard, but it's happened a couple times on the road as well when I make a tight turn.

Quigley

When it comes to deer I'm not as lucky. I manage to average about 6 per year. Elk about 1 every 3 years. Numerous skunks, porcupine and a occasional coyote. Skunks are the worst. The unloaders really hate when I run over a skunk.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
When it comes to deer I'm not as lucky. I manage to average about 6 per year. Elk about 1 every 3 years. Numerous skunks, porcupine and a occasional coyote. Skunks are the worst.
The unloaders really hate when I run over a skunk.

And, life's a bitch.:)

bluebiker

Been driving feeders for 21 years and have never had a glad hand come off. As a matter of fact I have never heard of one coming off till this thread.

Bumpy road can make it happen, had one come off on the Cross Bronx Expressway once, red line came off dolly. Couldn't drag the kite with the extra axle locked up. Just stopped dead in the middle lane, it was about 2am, I was worried about getting run over trying to fix it. I could see the skid marks for the next 2 weeks, Checked it again when I got over the GW bridge and it was starting to ride up again. Now I wrap the red line around the light cord, that I run through the lifting handle, puts a little extra tension on the hose.
I've also wrapped the glad hands in clear tape, (easy to find in a hub).

I also had them come off chassis pups, I guess that why some of them had that metal tab to prevent it. If they don't have the tab I wrap those in tape. Fortunately those are just about all gone to trailer heaven.

Last edited:

purplesky

When it comes to deer I'm not as lucky. I manage to average about 6 per year. Elk about 1 every 3 years. Numerous skunks, porcupine and a occasional coyote. Skunks are the worst. The unloaders really hate when I run over a skunk.

What about the big birds feasting on road kill that wait to move at the very last second possible as you are right on their ass? Its kind of funny but also annoying.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I go to class at the end of the month...these last 2 weeks in package are going to draaaaag
When I was about to go to feeder school, my package center gave me gave me days off to give me time to study (our feeder schools back then were 2 weekends and a Saturday of the 3rd weekend @12 hours a day) I guess my center wanted to get rid of me in the worst way. They did tell me I was a bad influence on the younger package drivers haha.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Probably find every bit of grease on the hose too.
I was absolutely a freak about having my tractor hoses/catwalk free of grease. Several times a week I'd go by the shop, find some of their red shop rags, soak them with the parts cleaner solvent and wipe my hoses and gladhands down.