QKRSTKR

Just curious since its never happened to me. How does a air line rip off a dolly while driving down the road?
I'd say they bounce loose. Sometime they just don't lock down real tight. Usually bumps at overpasses where bridge and road meet. Those bumps can jar it loose. Also bad potholes. Don't know where up are at but here in the Midwest it's pothole hell.

Like I said my airline came off the glad hand when it happened to me,glad hands on dolly were still attached. If I ever see that type of attachment now I'm very cautious and inspect it well.

Most all our triples drivers wire tie the dollies

barnyard

KTM rider
Just curious since its never happened to me. How does a air line rip off a dolly while driving down the road?

There are photos posted of the new pups. The pin is set farther forward on the new ones and the hoses and catch on the dolly, especially when making a tight, right turn.

Makes it even more important to double check to make sure that the release handle is down and locked during your pretrip.

My advice would be to not be afraid to get out and look.

Last week, I was sticking a 53 in the drop lot, between 2 other 53s. There was not a ton of room for set up, so I set up, started the back, got out, pulled up, pushed it in a bit farther, got out and did it. Centered the trailer in the hole perfectly. Had I not got out, it would have been possible to slide the back opposite corner against the neighboring trailer.

For going down the road, I would always rather pull a single than doubles. Length does not matter. 1 box is always easier than 2.

Get into the habit of doing everything the same way all the time and if someone interrupts you, go back and start over. You will be less likely to drop a box when you 'think' you did everything.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The problem when I was driving was there is something about the container pups with the chassis when they are empty..those chassis bounce or something. The glad hands were popping off the rear boxes. Management told us to go by the shop and get zip ties and wrap around them. Our shop got territorial and started locking their zip ties up. I'd go by harbor freight and buy a tube of the electrical tape. Only cost about 30 cents a roll. I kept a roll inside my tractor door and one in my bag. If you're going highway speed when that happens, usually it will flat all 4 tires before you could come to a stop. I know all those trailer tires were recaps, but I bet that got pretty expensive.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
Built a set of doubles and drove around today, then took a pup out to practice for the road test again and get some rain driving time! I'm a little surprised at how comfortable I am driving the various set ups we have but I'm not going to complain about it, guess you don't really know how you'll handle it till you do it and to me personally it's just as natural driving a set of doubles as it is my personal car just be a little more aware of motorist and watch your turns. I highly recommend anyone thinking of going feeders but are worried about it to sign that bid sheet, get your feet wet and if it's not for you at least you gave it a shot, cause if you wait and do it later and find you can handle it you'll regret waiting so long! Tomorrow's my road test, wish me luck!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Built a set of doubles and drove around today, then took a pup out to practice for the road test again and get some rain driving time! I'm a little surprised at how comfortable I am driving the various set ups we have but I'm not going to complain about it, guess you don't really know how you'll handle it till you do it and to me personally it's just as natural driving a set of doubles as it is my personal car just be a little more aware of motorist and watch your turns. I highly recommend anyone thinking of going feeders but are worried about it to sign that bid sheet, get your feet wet and if it's not for you at least you gave it a shot, cause if you wait and do it later and find you can handle it you'll regret waiting so long! Tomorrow's my road test, wish me luck!

Good luck brother. Go get it!

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
Passed my road test, 3 dings for grinding from 6th to 5th but that's it! Got fed a nice Mexican dinner for my accomplishment from my trainer. Feeders is awesome!

I wouldn't know the first thing about pretripping a feeder but I do know that a lax attitude toward safety can have deadly consequences. Just ask Tracy Morgan.

I said vehicle, not feeder. And while some of the pieces are different the routine is the same. As far as safety, you can kill someone just as quick with 15k lbs of PC as you can with 80k lbs of feeder. There's no excuse for not pretrippng.

I'll get you started.......
As you approach the vehicle you visually scan it for obvious damage and to any spots/puddles of fluid underneath.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I wouldn't know the first thing about pretripping a feeder but I do know that a lax attitude toward safety can have deadly consequences. Just ask Tracy Morgan.

Tracy Morgan was just released from the hospital, he's not dead. I would think a know it all might know that.

That crash had NOTHING to do with an improper pre trip. The driver fell asleep, I'm not sure why this concept continues to baffle you.

Tracy Morgan was just released from the hospital, he's not dead. I would think a know it all might know that.

That crash had NOTHING to do with an improper pre trip. The driver fell asleep, I'm not sure why this concept continues to baffle you.

Morgans friend was killed. Several others could have from their injuries. Dave was correct in his reference.

MaceFremonti

Nice!

One last tip. Don't try to work sick.

Sometimes in package you can "burn" the sickness out of you hustling all day. For me at least it is a lot harder to stay focused and alert when I'm sick and sitting still all day.

It's almost like driving when you are tired....you don't realize you aren't paying attention until you hear your tires on the rumble strips or you suddenly notice traffic slowing in front of you.

Simply put...be at 100% or call in!