Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
you can only work 16 hours 1 time a week... and you have to go back to your home center every day to be able to do that.

Mandated ten hours off between shifts.
10 off before you can report again.

10 off, 1 hour commute each way (10- Commute(2)=8) Eight hours of sleep is good enough for me

Remember those HOS rules govern drivers who drive and are required to keep a logbook. A manager who does some training and then rides around doing an OJS, even if they work 16 hours, can theoretically come back to work after 6 hours off duty and work in the office doing paperwork or whatever.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Remember those HOS rules govern drivers who drive and are required to keep a logbook. A manager who does some training and then rides around doing an OJS, even if they work 16 hours, can theoretically come back to work after 6 hours off duty and work in the office doing paperwork or whatever.

Dave was just knowing everything, so we had to set him straight.

Actually 16 plus a 1 hour commute home and 1 hour commute back leaves 6 hours for hopefully sleep.
Either way the driver can't punch back in before 10 hours off anyway so he might as well sleep in.

MaceFremonti

Good Luck! Go slow, take your time, think and pay attention!

My first day by myself I covered a local pickup run that usually was barely an 8 hour day...I was so nervous about forgetting something or hitting something that by the time I was done I was getting close to 14 hours...Next day management jokingly said to me "Great! Just what we need. ANOTHER guy who likes the overtime!"

Last edited:

UPS4Life

you can only work 16 hours 1 time a week... and you have to go back to your home center every day to be able to do that.
You can only use your extension for an unforeseen circumstance and it can only be to get back you can't go anywhere else either.

As far as the hours go know you need two consecutive time periods off between 1am-5am if you punch out at 1:02 it doesn't count and you'll have a 52 hour reset not just the 34. And for now since we are here you can't start a restart before 168 hours of your last it gets confusing quick make things easy keep track of your hours don't go over 60/7 and write down your resets you'll be fine. If your going to run out of time just communicate with them. I've sat waiting to get picked up a couple times now due to accidents and whether both times sat for 4+hours

Pickles

Can't happen. The new HOS program on the IVIS lights up like a pinball machine when lunches are due, HOS limit's are approaching, etc.
Plus every violation has to be reported to the DOT. Any mgmt. fudging numbers will get walked quickly.

Whenever I don't get reset and am doing the 60 in 7 the new IVIS deal is wrong.

UPS4Life

Whenever I don't get reset and am doing the 60 in 7 the new IVIS deal is wrong.
I don't think it's wrong it only updates after midnight once you get to a ups facility. Only talked to drivers about this i haven't gotten to chase hours with the new ivis program. Also don't forget ups logs your 10 minute paid break as off duty not on duty that could screw up your hours also

barnyard

KTM rider
The last week I covered, I had a bit over 11 hours available. The run is scheduled with 2 less legs on Friday, so I was not worried. I had been on duty for 5 hours and was on my 2nd to the last leg and get the alert, "Pull over, change of schedule." So I pull over, message is, "call dispatch."

I called and they wanted to know if I knew how many hours I had left and all that. Me, "Uh, I only have a leg and a half left, unless something really ridiculous happens, I should be fine."

"OK, we just wanted to make sure that you were aware of your clock and were watching it."

Even though they tell us, we are responsible for watching our time, it seems that some dispatchers are pretty good about watching noobs to make sure they don't run afoul.

ReLooped

I'm utility...AGAIN!?
ok so, the issue of hours is a bit confusing how you guys explain it. but i'm sure that will be one of the first things brought up in class :) so with respect to management, are the on-roads easier to deal with? i've put up with 10 years worth of on-roadies, so either way i'll manage. Just curious.

also, i've noticed some feeder guys walking around with long hooks and wooden sticks-that stuff supplied or do i need to get my own? or is that how you guys deal with management? ;)

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
If you do your job and stay off the radar, you won't even have to talk to your on road sup but a handful of times a year. I went for sometimes a month at a time and never laid eyes on mine. You might pass walking in or out or maybe in a break room. Talking to them then is up to you. If you do something wrong, He knows your schedule and start time. He will find YOU. You will see the dispatcher waaaay more than on road. Those long hooks you see are tire knockers/5th wheel pullers. Very important in your day to day operation. Any time you hook up to a new trailer, as part of your pre trip you thump the tires with the handle part. You will learn the sound THUMP!<-good sound. THUD<-bad sound. You will even learn with experience if a tire is low by the sound of the bump. They also prevent grease from the trailer apron from getting on your uni. If it does, I have 3 words for you. pine-o-pine. I stored mine thru my steps. The shop made them for us. Keep your eyes on them. They will grow legs. Good luck.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had a 2 in 1 tool. the handle was like 1" thick round steel, welded to a long shaft with a hook on the end. the hook is to pull the 5th wheel handle, you turn it around and use the heavy handle part to bump the tires, bang on trailer door handles, brake chamber plungers, etc

I had a 2 in 1 tool. the handle was like 1" thick round steel, welded to a long shaft with a hook on the end. the hook is to pull the 5th wheel handle, you turn it around and use the heavy handle part to bump the tires, bang on trailer door handles, brake chamber plungers, etc
........change someone's attitude.........

Despite what might be said it's the drivers responsibility to keep track of their hours.

We had a new driver just recently check his logbook on a Monday. His calculations showed he had 9 hours available (he gets bounced around week to week because he's new). When he punches in the system shows he had 60 hrs available.
He goes to an onroad sup and points out the discrepancy. The sup, qualified as a CDL trainer and certifier, goes into the computer and agrees that the system not the driver is correct and tells the driver to work as needed.
On wed the driver is called up to the office because he has violated each day since Monday. He points out to mgmt that he had gotten approval from them to work. Blame falls on sup. following week sup tries to write up driver. Union and mgmt kick sup in ass.
BUT the moral is the DRIVER needs to know his hours for sure and stand his ground when he's write.

MaceFremonti

I've yet to find an app that is very user friendly. They all seem to be from years ago with clunky interfaces where you have to hit a button when you punch in, leave, break etc. So not only do you have to do it on the IVIS but at the same time on your phone.

I made a spreadsheet where at the end of the day I just punch in my SW, FW etc and it updates my weekly totals.

bluebiker

I've yet to find an app that is very user friendly. They all seem to be from years ago with clunky interfaces where you have to hit a button when you punch in, leave, break etc. So not only do you have to do it on the IVIS but at the same time on your phone.

I made a spreadsheet where at the end of the day I just. punch in my SW, FW etc and it updates my weekly totals.

I had one of those apps, it would be ok if you were doing a long run turn around and return. Like you said, on the smart phone, you'd have to call up the app, punch in at work and on the app, put trailer info in, etc. I guess it might qualify as an electronic log, although it's not connected to the truck.

I just write down my hours on a calendar book, if I have to figure my hours because I might go over I just really have to worry about what falls off before midnite on the first day of my work week. IE, if I work Mon-Fri with an 8pm start, the following Mon only 4hrs falls off, if I worked 11 hours that 1st "Mon", I have 11 hours available Tues, and so on thru the week until I get to Fri/Sat then if I work 12 hrs on that "Fri" I actually worked 8 on Sat. This is assuming I took my meal after midnight.

I really don't worry about if unless I go from Mon-Fri one week and Sun-Thurs the next or I work a sixth day and don't get the restart.