superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Does an existing Teamster have an advantage being hired over another off the street for a feeder driver? Or not so much?

A current FT driver will have the advantage, yes. UPS has to hire/promote 6 FT employees to 1 off the street hire.

If they put up feeder lists, they are to be filled by FT union employees first, PT employees next, and once they have exhausted those two options, they can bring in off the street hires.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A current FT driver will have the advantage, yes. UPS has to hire/promote 6 FT employees to 1 off the street hire.

If they put up feeder lists, they are to be filled by FT union employees first, PT employees next, and once they have exhausted those two options, they can bring in off the street hires.

You are assuming that the applicant is a current UPS employee, which he is not. The OP asked if a Teamster would be given preference over other off-the-street hires.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How the heck did she make it onto the street not being skilled enough to back up?

We had a driver DQ'd in his 30 days for basically the same thing. He had been having issues backing up to loading docks on road. He ended up making a very poor decision when he was trying to park the PC at the end of the day and is now back on the preload.

Honestly, if I'm a center manager I'm going to grab the training sup by the scruff of the neck and ask how his rookie made it out on his own while not knowing how to properly back whatever he's driving. I may be wrong but aren't backing accidents high on our priority list?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Honestly, if I'm a center manager I'm going to grab the training sup by the scruff of the neck and ask how his rookie made it out on his own while not knowing how to properly back whatever he's driving. I may be wrong but aren't backing accidents high on our priority list?

The on-car who trained him noticed the driver was having issues but neglected to tell anyone.

Brown Now

I check even when I'm away from the equipment on property. You never know what people are capable of.
X2. Any time you're away from the vehicle, even on property, you check ALL connections. This includes glad hands and 7 ways. When unattended at non UPS locations such as a truckstop, do a quick walk around of the entire unit. Cover your ass and always check your equipment,always.

Brown Now

Ya know i applied online but all the info it wanted was my name and experience and e mail address and it say's application pending. I guess just wait for another email from them?
We already have quite a few Holland,YRC,FedEx Freight,Vitran and Conway Freight guys. They see that's where you're coming from and you already moved to the front of the line. You'll get a call.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
X2. Any time you're away from the vehicle, even on property, you check ALL connections. This includes glad hands and 7 ways. When unattended at non UPS locations such as a truckstop, do a quick walk around of the entire unit. Cover your ass and always check your equipment,always.
ESPECIALLY THE PIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaceFremonti

I had the supply line to my dolly cut at a rest stop in WV. Was away from equipment for maybe ten minutes. Visually checked everything and didnt see it since it was sliced on the bottom of the hose. Figured it out pretty quick tho. Ended up taking the hose off the rear trailer and swapped it out.

Some giys just don't like us.

MoarTape

Watch out on the PA Turnpike for idiots passing you ON THE SHOULDER at 65+ mph who then realize they probably don't have enough time to avoid the construction sign on the shoulder and cut back in front of you so close that you can't even see their back window.

Had someone do this to me on 270 South on my way to the DC building.

MaceFremonti

270 is pretty crazy all day long. Where it drops down to 55 everyone still does 70 and if you camp out in the right lane and do 55 you have to move back over at every on ramp anyway because those guys are doing 70 on the on ramp and shooting out into any opening they see.

Still beats delivery tho! :cool:

Porkman

Everyone that is new grinds a gear or misses one, don't focus on the little things try to always think about your next move, if you make a mistake how you recover from the mistake that is what the trainers want to see. Take your time with all of your moves and don't rush yourself. And I certainly hope that they are not still teaching how to build a set by using one of your gloves on the ground because I have never seen anyone do that it my whole career. Just saying!!

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
270 is pretty crazy all day long. Where it drops down to 55 everyone still does 70 and if you camp out in the right lane and do 55 you have to move back over at every on ramp anyway because those guys are doing 70 on the on ramp and shooting out into any opening they see.

Still beats delivery tho! :cool:
There's no reason to move over when there's an on ramp regardless of their speed.

You have the right of way.

Chance this practice will lead to you accidentally side swiping another car. Talk to your region safety manager about this.

When you switch lanes you no longer have an out or time to identify one.

Last edited: