retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Yeah you could float them..We drove GMC cabovers back then. The wet clutch gave you one more fluid level to worry about. Also, they were 5 speeds. I remember from feeder school you shifted at approximately 7,14,21 and 40 mph. RPM's took a back seat.

Johney

Pineapple King
Well you can't fix stupid, and I see a lot of that in termination meetings. There's an easy 2 for 1 right there, doing management's job for them. Bravo!
If you say so. They would also have to fire the driver whose route it is right? So at least I wouldn't be alone in the unemployment line. Now go heard some sheep.

Baaaa

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Well you can't fix stupid, and I see a lot of that in termination meetings. There's an easy 2 for 1 right there, doing management's job for them. Bravo!

Yep. Just like in delivery, I don't care HOW the normal guy does it, I get the job done, and done safely and go home. I try to ignore the older guys who say to "take a few 10 minute breaks on the way down" depending on the length of the run.

If I have to use the facilities, I will, other than that I keep moving and get my time at my TA point

Johney

Pineapple King
Yep. Just like in delivery, I don't care HOW the normal guy does it, I get the job done, and done safely and go home. I try to ignore the older guys who say to "take a few 10 minute breaks on the way down" depending on the length of the run.

If I have to use the facilities, I will, other than that I keep moving and get my time at my TA point
Apples and oranges. Package has always been that way,burn it up screw the regular guy. That mentality in feeders(at least here)gets you alienated fast. Not a good thing here at all. 25+ years to get in as a cover? Believe me you want all the friends you can get. They like you and guys take extra time off so you can work more. Be a dick and go against the flow? You're humping packages a lot more than riding.
I get what you guys are saying I do, but what I've learned is to do it just like the veterans tell you too,they make their times and everyone is happy. In all seriousness no one tells the newbie to stop and steal 20 minutes here and there all they ask is that you slow down(get rid of that package mentality). Can't fix stupid? Doing managements job for them? Things are not the same everywhere guys you all should know that.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Apples and oranges. Package has always been that way,burn it up screw the regular guy. That mentality in feeders(at least here)gets you alienated fast. Not a good thing here at all. 25+ years to get in as a cover? Believe me you want all the friends you can get. They like you and guys take extra time off so you can work more. Be a dick and go against the flow? You're humping packages a lot more than riding.

I don't "burn up" anything in feeders, I just might not take as many pee/coffee breaks as some other folks. If I need to pee, I'll stop and go (and not code out the time), but I won't just stop for 10 minutes 2 or 3 times because someone else said I should

Johney

Pineapple King
I don't "burn up" anything in feeders, I just might not take as many pee/coffee breaks as some other folks. If I need to pee, I'll stop and go (and not code out the time), but I won't just stop for 10 minutes 2 or 3 times because someone else said I should
Whatever works for you.

bigrig

It's not stealing time dot department of public safety requires you to stop and do a equipment check every hour and 1/2 to 2 hours it's not stealing time you are looking for problems with your equipment it's done for a reason.

Sparkey86

Tip # 74.3 - Always make sure to remove your airlines and electrical before pulling off. I narrowly avoided a busted out back window yesterday. Luckily I pulled off quick, so they missed the glass
Did that in gboro nc. It was raining. Jumped out dropped legs pulled kingpin latch and jumped back to cap. Ended well. They all three hit glass but didn't shatter it. Lucky man

RRW

Since we don't have our own section I thought I would post this for anyone with Feeder questions.

What's our schedule like? What did it take to qualify? Why do we get so fat? How do we stay awake on the road? What does the Dispatcher do? What do the On-roads do? Why does the Company subcontract Feeder work? What is the pay like? What do mileage runs pay? What's a layover? What's a gladhand? What's a button hook? Why are you guys so slow on the road? What happens in high winds/snow/hard rain/if you hit a deer?

Any question is up for discussion. If you need specific information to your area be sure to post where that is as Feeder work rules vary quite a bit by location (and we are always arguing about the work rules).

If you're in Feeders, sound off. If you are in Feeder Management or Dispatch you are welcome too and lets have some respectful discussion.
What can a new hire Feeder off the street expect to make in pay the first few years?

QKRSTKR

I had my first oh crap moment a few weeks ago. Came out of the hub heading back to my hub about 2:40 a.m. Started raining. It had been really cold the days before and the temp was about 31 degrees. The roads turned greasy in a hurry. Lost traction a few times and kept slowing down. Next thing I know I'm going 25mph around a slight curved to the left. Little slant in the road. My steer tires start sliding left. Rear trailer sliding as well into left lane. Oh crap. I counter steer, still going left. Ugh! Thought to myself "yup, I'm about to be making a phone call". Luckily I make it around slight curve and tractor straightens out as do trailers. I'm all puckered up. Didn't crap for 3 days I sucked that seat so far up my rear.

So I head into right shoulder but no good place to stop. So I ride rumble strips as that's the only way I can get any traction. Make it a little farther go up a slight incline with a little curve to the left again. Going maybe 5mph. Loose momentum and stop. Next thing I know my tractor is sliding left into right lane steer tires leading the way. Rest of tractor follows. Lead trailer stayed pretty good. Read trailer and dolly sliding out faster. I'm pushing the brake pedal through the floor, no traction to be had. Pop all the valves and lock all the brakes. Had my whole set across I-##. Tractor makes it to left shoulder and stops where gravel is. I'm able to get a little traction in gravel and pull set behind me and all the way into left shoulder. I move up out of corner and stopped. Sat there with everybody else for over 2 hours waiting on a salt truck. Both sides of interstate was shut down. It all happened at once. Few other sets with me didn't make it any farther. There was a little incline no one could make it up.

Crazy night I hope I don't ever have again. Ice sucks. I'll take snow any day.

Sorry for the novel.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I had my first oh crap moment a few weeks ago. Came out of the hub heading back to my hub about 2:40 a.m. Started raining. It had been really cold the days before and the temp was about 31 degrees. The roads turned greasy in a hurry. Lost traction a few times and kept slowing down. Next thing I know I'm going 25mph around a slight curved to the left. Little slant in the road. My steer tires start sliding left. Rear trailer sliding as well into left lane. Oh crap. I counter steer, still going left. Ugh! Thought to myself "yup, I'm about to be making a phone call". Luckily I make it around slight curve and tractor straightens out as do trailers. I'm all puckered up. Didn't crap for 3 days I sucked that seat so far up my rear.

So I head into right shoulder but no good place to stop. So I ride rumble strips as that's the only way I can get any traction. Make it a little farther go up a slight incline with a little curve to the left again. Going maybe 5mph. Loose momentum and stop. Next thing I know my tractor is sliding left into right lane steer tires leading the way. Rest of tractor follows. Lead trailer stayed pretty good. Read trailer and dolly sliding out faster. I'm pushing the brake pedal through the floor, no traction to be had. Pop all the valves and lock all the brakes. Had my whole set across I-##. Tractor makes it to left shoulder and stops where gravel is. I'm able to get a little traction in gravel and pull set behind me and all the way into left shoulder. I move up out of corner and stopped. Sat there with everybody else for over 2 hours waiting on a salt truck. Both sides of interstate was shut down. It all happened at once. Few other sets with me didn't make it any farther. There was a little incline no one could make it up.

Sorry for the novel.
Tightened me up just reading that. Good job and glad you made out OK.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Sorry for the novel.

Great job, that would scare the holy S$%! out of me. Glad to hear that you kept it under control.

Glad to see that SOME feeder drivers know that safety comes first, every time