Can I collect unemployment if...

!Retired!

I doubt he fires people for no reason. What type of loser prefers unemployment over a job?
Maybe not now, but until July 25, people wee getting $600 on top of their unemployment. There was no incentive to go back.
Where'd I say I'd prefer unemployment. I'd need interim pay while looking for new employment right? Not too smart are ya. My contractor has caused so much tension in the work place by not giving us any hazard pay or raise due to a huge increase in volume. I've been working for him for 5 years without getting a single raise despite asking. I finally said I WANT a raise. No response. So I bluffed on quiting to see if he'd budge. Nope. Now he's acting like a teenage girl about it. I want to move onto a career instead of a dead end job.
I understand the part of no raise. I'd leave also. Not UPS, DHL, Express or the USPS gets hazard pay. Why would we?
I didn't quit or get fired. I'm just saying I know I'm on his hit list now. So I have to prepare myself.
Yup..

AB831

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George tells off his boss, and then regrets it and goes to work the next day and says he was joking.

JJinVA

I had a UPS delivery last week; it didn't arrive until after 9. Felt sorry for the poor guy.

The worst is delivering at 9pm, in the pouring rain, and everyone in the neighborhood either has no numbers on their house, or they have numbers but turn the lights off so you cant see them. Luckily I have a police-style spotlight flashlight. I hit that thing and light up the whole side of the house. "Ohhh, sowwy, you were sweeping.... now your wetinas are on fiyaaaa..."

HD219

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George tells off his boss, and then regrets it and goes to work the next day and says he was joking.
That's exactly what it feels like. I don't think I was in the wrong yet I feel guilty now and have to worry about getting canned. If I told you the amount I asked for, you'd think I'd be crazy for asking for so little. It's minimal to keep a driver that shows up every day on time. Doesn't get complaints. Empties the truck. Says yes to working a six day week when asked in advance. Called off once (this year, might've been Corona by how dead I felt)

vantexan

If people keep coming to work, sure. That’s how the employment market works.
Yeah, FedEx let the turnover get worse and worse until they could no longer ignore it. And that does have an effect on the solid workers who stay and work. Constantly dealing with newhires without a clue who take three or four times as long to do a condensed area of deliveries with everything set up in order for them. Over time the company was hiring more and more incompetent people who couldn't handle the job and soon quit. I doubt that the company cared how long time couriers felt about it. But when mgrs across the board were having to run routes and were constantly complaining that's probably when the company decided a new pay system was needed. And kept it just long enough to get people locked into the job with an economic downturn. Might be able to score some quality applicants if people quit now.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
How many people do you employ again?
Doesn't matter.

Ever heard of employee retention? If they go too long without a raise, they'll be gone elsewhere. That's how the employment market works.

Go ahead and pay your employees wages that don't keep up with the cost of living and it'll come back to bite you in the ass eventually.

JJinVA

You getting paid for this?
If not you’re a fool

I've repeatedly said that I only step in when it's a new (or crappy) loader and i don't feel like being out for 13 hours. It's for me not for them. If i feel like sticking it to the man then I'll chill outside w the other drivers until start time and then go back at the end of the day and run the 30 stops i couldnt find earlier.

It will be fine

Doesn't matter.

Ever heard of employee retention? If they go too long without a raise, they'll be gone elsewhere. That's how the employment market works.

Go ahead and pay your employees wages that don't keep up with the cost of living and it'll come back to bite you in the ass eventually.
It depends on how much retention matters. In this line of work it doesn’t matter much. It’s an entry level job that doesn’t require much training to be productive. The cost of regular raises would have to outweigh the decrease in productivity of new hires and be proven to improve retention.