Can I collect unemployment if...

vantexan

Autonomous cars were going to take over the roadways a couple of years ago. For the last year or so... crickets. But you saw it on TV and a Teamsters rep said something, so I guess it's set in stone!

No. I'm saying that the prediction is not only optimistic, but laughably so.

Why do you wish bad things on people who've done nothing to you? I'm not responsible for your mess of a life.
Only on you bubba, only on you.

vantexan

Id like to believe that the computer would at least recognize that the tires were flat and would pull off the road. Hell even a standstill would be devastating to a logistics company. A nationwide standstill for a month would equal such an enormous backlog of package volume that I dont think theyd be able to dig themselves out of it without shutting down new orders.

Anyhoo, if Im without a job in 10 years and you start hearing about this happening, rest assured its me and Ill be laughing my ass off on the side of the interstate
From what they showed tonight the onboard computer would pull off the road. These trucks don't have to stop for breaks or sleep, only to fuel. No worries about distracted drivers, sleepiness, etc. Said could drive coast to coast in half the time of a human. Which would make our overall system more efficient and productive.

floridays

Six years ago you were fretting over the loss of jobs to delivery drones. A year or so ago Jimmy Yang had you worried that everyone was going to be automated out of a job.

Chicken Little.
How many years ago were you saying Express freight wouldn't be delivered by ground?
Smart guy.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
From what they showed tonight the onboard computer would pull off the road. These trucks don't have to stop for breaks or sleep, only to fuel. No worries about distracted drivers, sleepiness, etc. Said could drive coast to coast in half the time of a human. Which would make our overall system more efficient and productive.

"Somebody said something on TV, it must be true."