Can I collect unemployment if...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Not really. You seem to stalk my posts but never have anything intelligent to say about them. I assume your mad because you chose to remain in an entry level job your entire career. For some people it’s just the best they can do.

not really

I just like seeing you try and justify your job. it’s
strictly for my own entertainment
I especially like the way you talk down about your help

It will be fine

Thats not true. I once almost went to nationals for the spelling bee contest. Id argue it was a conspiracy when the judges asked me how to spell Autumn. I mean, what 10th grader knows theres a silent N there answer me dat
Nice twist ending, I expected a screed about Indian immigrants.

vantexan

Truck drivers aren’t the brightest folk.
Saw a segment tonight on "60 Minutes" about autonomous trucks. One company developing them said they expected to be completely operational by 2021. One of these trucks can drive coast to coast in half the time a human can. No breaks, no sleeping, no accidents due to sleepiness, texting, other distractions. The computer makes about 20 decisions a second and can react to situations much faster than a human. I can only imagine how FedEx and UPS must be chomping at the bit to buy these. Teamsters guy said it'll eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Saw a segment tonight on "60 Minutes" about autonomous trucks. One company developing them said they expected to be completely operational by 2021. One of these trucks can drive coast to coast in half the time a human can. No breaks, no sleeping, no accidents due to sleepiness, texting, other distractions. The computer makes about 20 decisions a second and can react to situations much faster than a human. I can only imagine how FedEx and UPS must be chomping at the bit to buy these. Teamsters guy said it'll eliminate hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Six years ago you were fretting over the loss of jobs to delivery drones. A year or so ago Jimmy Yang had you worried that everyone was going to be automated out of a job.

Chicken Little.

JJinVA

I suspect theres gonna be a few hundred-thousand UPS and FedEx drivers who are unemployed, taking their savings and buying police-spike strips, sitting on the side of the interstate and sabotaging said self-drivers out of spite and watching the computer try to calculate how to deal with 18 flat tires on the snow...

vantexan

Six years ago you were fretting over the loss of jobs to delivery drones. A year or so ago Jimmy Yang had you worried that everyone was going to be automated out of a job.

Chicken Little.
You still think that's not coming? "60 Minutes" had a segment tonight on autonomous semis that will be on the road and operational by 2021. Teamsters rep said they'll lose hundreds of thousands of jobs. I suppose you'll say there will be plenty of high paying new jobs to take their place, there always is. Yang was predicting a third of jobs lost by 2030, half of all current jobs lost by 2050. Including a lot of white collar jobs. A little premature to be calling me Chicken Little. If FedEx and UPS can make drones work they will. What you should take away from that is they're looking at technology that will save them money by eliminating couriers. Whatever they can come up with will be acted on eventually. As will many other companies. Can't wait until you're told that the new AI can do your job better than you can, sorry. At that moment the word VANTEXAN will flash through your brain. :)

vantexan

I suspect theres gonna be a few hundred-thousand UPS and FedEx drivers who are unemployed, taking their savings and buying police-spike strips, sitting on the side of the interstate and sabotaging said self-drivers out of spite and watching the computer try to calculate how to deal with 18 flat tires on the snow...
Funny thing is when you get a crazed highway sniper like the UPS guy just arrested in Oregon, he'll be shooting at autonomous trucks.

JJinVA

You still think that's not coming? "60 Minutes" had a segment tonight on autonomous semis that will be on the road and operational by 2021. Teamsters rep said they'll lose hundreds of thousands of jobs. I suppose you'll say there will be plenty of high paying new jobs to take their place, there always is. Yang was predicting a third of jobs lost by 2030, half of all current jobs lost by 2050. Including a lot of white collar jobs. A little premature to be calling me Chicken Little. If FedEx and UPS can make drones work they will. What you should take away from that is they're looking at technology that will save them money by eliminating couriers. Whatever they can come up with will be acted on eventually. As will many other companies. Can't wait until you're told that the new AI can do your job better than you can, sorry. At that moment the word VANTEXAN will flash through your brain. :)

The real solution here is, once its apparent that the technology is meant to replace rather than enhance, to strike. Shut down operations entirely and watch the volume pile up outside. Tell them "the drones need to get started making these deliveries because we have 2 million boxes piled up across the country"...

vantexan

The real solution here is, once its apparent that the technology is meant to replace rather than enhance, to strike. Shut down operations entirely and watch the volume pile up outside. Tell them "the drones need to get started making these deliveries because we have 2 million boxes piled up across the country"...
Not talking about courier jobs with the autonomous trucks. But I bet FedEx will invest in the tractor-trailers.

JJinVA

Funny thing is when you get a crazed highway sniper like the UPS guy just arrested in Oregon, he'll be shooting at autonomous trucks.

I would definitely be in favor of sabotaging self-driving vehicles. Im not interested in them at all. I see the commies at google hacking into the gps of "nazis" (anyone right of Mao) and "correcting" their autonomous gps to drive them off a cliff calling it "a horrific technological failure that they are looking into"...

vantexan

I would definitely be in favor of sabotaging self-driving vehicles. Im not interested in them at all. I see the commies at google hacking into the gps of "nazis" (anyone right of Mao) and "correcting" their autonomous gps to drive them off a cliff calling it "a horrific technological failure that they are looking into"...
I don't want to be part of anything that could cause an 80,000 lb vehicle to run over families. I suspect most people don't either. And it's not just semi's. Tens of millions of jobs are at risk. Most likely you'll have some kind of government support, and an underground economy.

It will be fine

So does anyone have an answer to my original post?
That’s not how we do things here. The answer is no. Your current contractor can’t offer you employment somewhere else to get out of unemployment. At most he can give you a lead at another opportunity. Unemployed people get leads for jobs all the time. You can say you applied if it becomes an issue but it won’t because that’s not legit. I’m sure he’ll tell you that to scare you into not applying but he’ll need to give unemployment a better reason if he tries to dispute the case.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You still think that's not coming? "60 Minutes" had a segment tonight on autonomous semis that will be on the road and operational by 2021. Teamsters rep said they'll lose hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Autonomous cars were going to take over the roadways a couple of years ago. For the last year or so... crickets. But you saw it on TV and a Teamsters rep said something, so I guess it's set in stone!

I suppose you'll say there will be plenty of high paying new jobs to take their place, there always is.

No. I'm saying that the prediction is not only optimistic, but laughably so.

Yang was predicting a third of jobs lost by 2030, half of all current jobs lost by 2050. Including a lot of white collar jobs. A little premature to be calling me Chicken Little. If FedEx and UPS can make drones work they will. What you should take away from that is they're looking at technology that will save them money by eliminating couriers. Whatever they can come up with will be acted on eventually. As will many other companies. Can't wait until you're told that the new AI can do your job better than you can, sorry. At that moment the word VANTEXAN will flash through your brain. :)

Why do you wish bad things on people who've done nothing to you? I'm not responsible for your mess of a life.

JJinVA

I don't want to be part of anything that could cause an 80,000 lb vehicle to run over families. I suspect most people don't either. And it's not just semi's. Tens of millions of jobs are at risk. Most likely you'll have some kind of government support, and an underground economy.

Id like to believe that the computer would at least recognize that the tires were flat and would pull off the road. Hell even a standstill would be devastating to a logistics company. A nationwide standstill for a month would equal such an enormous backlog of package volume that I dont think theyd be able to dig themselves out of it without shutting down new orders.

Anyhoo, if Im without a job in 10 years and you start hearing about this happening, rest assured its me and Ill be laughing my ass off on the side of the interstate