Coronavirus

rickyb

The idea behind old people is that they should produce more than they consume throughout their lives and save up so that they don't burden others when they can't produce as much. Obviously things don't always work out for everyone, so we consent to a welfare state to take care of the less fortunate at a relatively minor expense when spread out amongst society as a whole. But then politicians ruin it by expanding welfare and buying votes with taxpayer money, and, worse, debt. Eventually everyone becomes a slave to the state.
“We are not prepared to hold that a minority, residing or remaining in any city or town where smallpox is prevalent, and enjoying the general protection afforded by an organized local government, may thus defy the will of its constituted authorities, acting in good faith for all, under the legislative sanction of the state,” the justices wrote in 1905. “If such be the privilege of a minority, then a like privilege would belong to each individual of the community, and the spectacle would be presented of the welfare and safety of an entire population being subordinated to the notions of a single individual who chooses to remain a part of that population.”

Off the leash

I agree, I hate the idea of healthcare being tied to employment. My employer should pay me adequately and I can buy my own health insurance on the open market. That worked pretty well for decades.
Healthcare benefits are a result of a 1942 Wage stabilization act. It was an effort to curb inflation, employers couldn’t raise pay. So instead they began offering incentives, like paid health care in order to draw employees. The rest as they say is history.

She has it exactly backwards. Someone has to provide the housing and food, that's why having food and housing is not a right. Pursuing and securing food and housing, where and what as you see fit, through agreements with the people who own them is a right. Businesses do not have the right to arbitrarily block people from access to the exchange of goods and services because you have the right to participate in the market. To have that right suspended requires due process.

The right to not be vaccinated doesn't require anyone to do anything. It falls under your right to be secure in your person. You have the right to maintain your body and health in the condition you see fit, based upon your individual circumstances.

Man, this is like preschool level stuff here. No wonder everyone is so mixed up on this stuff, they don't even have an understanding of the basic principles of liberty. Smh.
It’s not that they don’t understand it. They despise it and they want to take it from you

rickyb

Does your vaccine work or doesn’t it. Does your mask work or doesn’t it ? If it works you shouldn’t have to demand I participate it’s a logical fallacy
“We are not prepared to hold that a minority, residing or remaining in any city or town where smallpox is prevalent, and enjoying the general protection afforded by an organized local government, may thus defy the will of its constituted authorities, acting in good faith for all, under the legislative sanction of the state,” the justices wrote in 1905. “If such be the privilege of a minority, then a like privilege would belong to each individual of the community, and the spectacle would be presented of the welfare and safety of an entire population being subordinated to the notions of a single individual who chooses to remain a part of that population.”

portside.org

Vaccine Mandates Are as American as Apple Pie

If you support mandatory vaccination to fight Covid-19, you are in good company. The first vaccine mandate in American history came from none other than George Washington at the height of the American Revolution. America’s struggle for independence coincided with a major smallpox epidemic that...
portside.org
portside.org

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

portside.org

Vaccine Mandates Are as American as Apple Pie

If you support mandatory vaccination to fight Covid-19, you are in good company. The first vaccine mandate in American history came from none other than George Washington at the height of the American Revolution. America’s struggle for independence coincided with a major smallpox epidemic that...
portside.org
portside.org
Lol.
Stick to imagining how you'll fix Canada, Ricky.