Coronavirus

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My Mother in law got some rare form of cancer that killed her this week. We've dont a lot of genealogy research on the family going back generations and no one on that side ever died of cancer. no guarantee's but it makes you wonder about the vaccine that she took 6 months ago.

My FIL got b-cell lymphoma.

vantexan

My Mother in law got some rare form of cancer that killed her this week. We've dont a lot of genealogy research on the family going back generations and no one on that side ever died of cancer. no guarantee's but it makes you wonder about the vaccine that she took 6 months ago.
So sorry for your loss. My mother-in-law had a brain hemorrhage while driving Saturday night and died yesterday. She was 81.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Early on in the pandemic, before the vaccines were available, the Southern Brazilian city of Itajai offered Ivermectin as a prophylaxis against the disease.
Between July and December of 2020, roughly 220,000 people were offered a dose of 0.2mg/kg/day (roughly 18mg for a 200lb person) as an optional treatment for 2 days, once every two weeks.

133,051 people took them up on it, while 87,466 did not.

After analyzing the data, a team of researchers spanning several Brazilian institutes, the University of Toronto, and Columbia's EAFIT concluded in a December pre-print study that hospitalization and mortality rates were cut in half over the seven month period among the Ivermectin group
The authors adjusted for relevant confounding variables, including age, sex, medical history, previous diseases, and other conditions.

The analysis contradicts an October report by Business Insider which claims, based on a Brazilian ICU doctor's anecdotal evidence, that the experiment was a failure.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Early on in the pandemic, before the vaccines were available, the Southern Brazilian city of Itajai offered Ivermectin as a prophylaxis against the disease.
Between July and December of 2020, roughly 220,000 people were offered a dose of 0.2mg/kg/day (roughly 18mg for a 200lb person) as an optional treatment for 2 days, once every two weeks.

133,051 people took them up on it, while 87,466 did not.

After analyzing the data, a team of researchers spanning several Brazilian institutes, the University of Toronto, and Columbia's EAFIT concluded in a December pre-print study that hospitalization and mortality rates were cut in half over the seven month period among the Ivermectin group
The authors adjusted for relevant confounding variables, including age, sex, medical history, previous diseases, and other conditions.

The analysis contradicts an October report by Business Insider which claims, based on a Brazilian ICU doctor's anecdotal evidence, that the experiment was a failure.

I had to look up the definition of “anecdotal evidence” to be sure I knew what it meant.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

I had to look up the definition of “anecdotal evidence” to be sure I knew what it meant.

I'm glad the person who wrote that calls himself fallacy man. It fits perfectly. People who want any evidence to prove their views will resort to any bias confirming evidence they can find. It's a thought process similar to superstition, and it is used by people on either side of an argument.

The fact is, though, that anecdotal evidence is generally the same thing as the first two steps in the scientific process, making an observation and forming a hypothesis. Anecdotes have their place, they are not completely worthless as fallacy man asserts, and they shouldn't be dismissed outright. They also aren't complete or reliable as a means to inform policy decisions. Sometimes they are all you have, and in the case of ivermectin, there was never any legitimate justification in not allowing its widespread use.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I'm glad the person who wrote that calls himself fallacy man. It fits perfectly. People who want any evidence to prove their views will resort to any bias confirming evidence they can find. It's a thought process similar to superstition, and it is used by people on either side of an argument.

The fact is, though, that anecdotal evidence is generally the same thing as the first two steps in the scientific process, making an observation and forming a hypothesis. Anecdotes have their place, they are not completely worthless as fallacy man asserts, and they shouldn't be dismissed outright. They also aren't complete or reliable as a means to inform policy decisions. Sometimes they are all you have, and in the case of ivermectin, there was never any legitimate justification in not allowing its widespread use.
Since it doesn’t harm you, might as well try it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I know my sister and her doctor friends have all been using it and prescribing it when possible.

Mutineer

The problem is that the definition of "Anecdotal Evidence" has been twisted and warped to define any and all things which directly contradicts the narrative of the Left.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The problem is that the definition of "Anecdotal Evidence" has been twisted and warped to define any and all things which directly contradicts the narrative of the Left.

They do play fast and loose with language. That's why I don't like it when people argue with leftists on their terms. It's like granting them the right to redefine reality to suit their agenda.

The Driver

I drive.
L
Cancer is usually something that starts years before it kills you.

Mutineer

Sorry LEPERS clear out your trucks
Aside from physical suffering, people who have had leprosy face prejudice and social stigma.

This would undoubtedly qualify them for pet-protected status in the Liberal hierarchy that yer always beating the drum for.

And yet you mock and marginalize their suffering with a proclamation that borders on orgasmic.

Tsk-tsk.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
States have the right to violate the rights of the people? That can't be.

Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905)​