Coronavirus

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I hate to burst your bubble but all info I can pull up states that after the 1918-19 pandemic had ran its course it wouldn't be until 1933 that the first flu vaccine that actually worked was developed. At that rate one for this current bug will be along about 2034. :-)
They talking about the 1969 flu.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Some of us here have consistently called out the lies and pointed out the conspiracy theories that certain members on here keep regurgitating over and over and over again. If you don't like that, to bad!
You mean when you throw out your Bs conspiracy theories?
Yea got it.
You either didn’t read what I posted or didn’t understand it?
Imagine that!
Did you expect any other result?
I believe it was Einstein that is attributed with this observation:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
ok---didn't realize that. I was in Vietnam in 1969 so the flu was the last of my worries.

From the article: H3N2 (or the “Hong Kong flu,” as it was more popularly known) was an influenza strain that the New York Times described as “one of the worst in the nation’s history.” The first case of H3N2, which evolved from the H2N2 influenza strain that caused the 1957 pandemic, was reported in mid-July 1968 in Hong Kong. By September, it had infected Marines returning to the States from the Vietnam War. By mid-December, the Hong Kong flu had arrived in all 50 states.

rod

Retired 23 years
From the article: H3N2 (or the “Hong Kong flu,” as it was more popularly known) was an influenza strain that the New York Times described as “one of the worst in the nation’s history.” The first case of H3N2, which evolved from the H2N2 influenza strain that caused the 1957 pandemic, was reported in mid-July 1968 in Hong Kong. By September, it had infected Marines returning to the States from the Vietnam War. By mid-December, the Hong Kong flu had arrived in all 50 states.
I just don't recall any of this Hong Kong flu stuff going around when I was in the service -1968-1969. Then again I don't remember a lot of what happened in the 60's and 70's. :-)

oldngray

nowhere special
I just don't recall any of this Hong Kong flu stuff going around when I was in the service -1968-1969. Then again I don't remember a lot of what happened in the 60's and 70's. :-)
I was in Hawaii when the Hong Kong flu hit and while there was widespread panic governments just let it burn itself out. I don't think I ever had it. Or if I did it was too mild to notice.

A congressional oversight panel wants to know why the Trump administration and the Federal Reserve are no longer requiring businesses seeking coronavirus relief loans to attest that the pandemic was the source of their financial woes. That's nice.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
“It’s been around for 40 years.”

Does that argument apply to cocaine?
4. False Dilemma/False Dichotomy

This fallacy has a few other names: “black-and-white fallacy,” “either-or fallacy,” “false dichotomy,” and “bifurcation fallacy.” This line of reasoning fails by limiting the options to two when there are in fact more options to choose from. Sometimes the choices are between one thing, the other thing, or both things together (they don’t exclude each other). Sometimes there is a whole range of options, three, four, five, or a hundred and forty-five. However it may happen, the false dichotomy fallacy errs by oversimplifying the range of options.

Dilemma-based arguments are only fallacious when, in fact, there are more than the stated options. It’s not a fallacy however if there really are only two options. For example, “either Led Zeppelin is the greatest band of all time, or they are not.” That’s a true dilemma, since there really are only two options there: A or non-A. It would be fallacious however to say, “There are only two kinds of people in the world: people who love Led Zeppelin, and people who hate music.” Some people are indifferent about that music. Some sort of like it, or sort of dislike it, but don’t have strong feelings either way.

Dilemma-based arguments are only fallacious when, in fact, there are more than the stated options.

The false dilemma fallacy is often a manipulative tool designed to polarize the audience, heroicizing one side and demonizing the other. It’s common in political discourse as a way of strong-arming the public into supporting controversial legislation or policies.

So you use the cdc numbers but now you say we shouldn’t believe the cdc numbers for only the state of Georgia?

91,915 dead Americans, 1.54+million infected. 937 dead today. That’s 3 straight days of rising deaths. The President has announced he’s been taking hydroxychloroquine for weeks. Let’s hope he tries his ingesting bleach theory too.
Georgia’s Governor has apologized for using inaccurate or misleading data. That Kemp is a dope.
It's too early to look at Georgia's coronavirus cases and declare that reopening works