Coronavirus

vantexan

You know better than to trust CNN. CDC, Stanford and Time all say 1918-1919. There may still have been cases popping up until 1920, but probably dropped below pandemic levels in mid 1919.

Yeah, we do have over 5 times the population, and only 1 to 7% the amount of deaths so far from this pandemic, depending on what the actual death toll of the Spanish flu was. Estimates range from 17 to 100 million worldwide.
Wasn't CNN. And supposedly it wasn't the virus itself that killed so many but the resultant bacterial infections from it lowering immunity. They didn't even have penicillin yet to fight it. So we're fortunate to have everything we do have. One of the biggest differences is the 1918 Spanish flu killed a lot more younger people. Covid for whatever reason doesn't.

vantexan

Those with Underlying health problems also didn’t make it Far into life. So there would have been far fewer of the people around that are most vulnerable to the virus.
But we have our own issues today. Cancer and diabetes are much worse today than in 1918. They had serious problems with tuberculosis and polio.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
But we have our own issues today. Cancer and diabetes are much worse today than in 1918. They had serious problems with tuberculosis and polio.
There are a lot of assumptions made in that statement.
Look at death records and see how many people died of Bright's Disease or Consumption.
People died younger back then and all these people with diabetes and cancer issues at age 65 or older were long dead during this period.
Stump your toe and die of gangrene ... it was tough back then.

vantexan

There are a lot of assumptions made in that statement.
Look at death records and see how many people died of Bright's Disease or Consumption.
People died younger back then and all these people with diabetes and cancer issues at age 65 or older were long dead during this period.
Stump your toe and die of gangrene ... it was tough back then.
Yet people still lived to ripe old ages. It was people contracting disease early on that brought lifespan averages down. And yes, cancer and diabetes were much lower back then although lung cancer probably wasn't. A lot more smokers back then.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Wasn't CNN. And supposedly it wasn't the virus itself that killed so many but the resultant bacterial infections from it lowering immunity. They didn't even have penicillin yet to fight it. So we're fortunate to have everything we do have. One of the biggest differences is the 1918 Spanish flu killed a lot more younger people. Covid for whatever reason doesn't.

CNN was the only source I found that listed 1918-1920. Anyway, covid doesn't kill young people because it's not that lethal. I'd speculate that it's likely that it has killed as many people as it has because we have gotten pretty good at keeping vulnerabe people alive, and intentionally supressing pepople's immune systems with drugs designed to do just that to treat things like arthritis and psoriasis.

MAKAVELI

I fully expected something like this to happen at some point in my life. I never in a million years thought that people would react in this way to something that killed under 1% and the risk to children is almost zero.
34,000 died from the flu last year vs 252,000 and counting for covid-19. Don't quit your day job bro. Lol

vantexan

CNN was the only source I found that listed 1918-1920. Anyway, covid doesn't kill young people because it's not that lethal. I'd speculate that it's likely that it has killed as many people as it has because we have gotten pretty good at keeping vulnerabe people alive, and intentionally supressing pepople's immune systems with drugs designed to do just that to treat things like arthritis and psoriasis.
It was Wikipedia.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Fake news.

Orly?

"But one of the most severe consequences of Covid-19 suggests another reason the ventilators aren’t more beneficial. In acute respiratory distress syndrome, which results from immune cells ravaging the lungs and kills many Covid-19 patients, the air sacs of the lungs become filled with a gummy yellow fluid. “That limits oxygen transfer from the lungs to the blood even when a machine pumps in oxygen,” Gillick said.

As patients go downhill, protocols developed for other respiratory conditions call for increasing the force with which a ventilator delivers oxygen, the amount of oxygen, or the rate of delivery, she explained. But if oxygen can’t cross into the blood from the lungs in the first place, those measures, especially greater force, may prove harmful. High levels of oxygen impair the lung’s air sacs, while high pressure to force in more oxygen damages the lungs."

"Because U.S. data on treating Covid-19 patients are nearly nonexistent, health care workers are flying blind when it comes to caring for such confounding patients. But anecdotally, Weingart said, 'we’ve had a number of people who improved and got off CPAP or high flow [nasal cannulas] who would have been tubed 100 out of 100 times in the past.' What he calls 'this knee-jerk response' of putting people on ventilators if their blood oxygen levels remain low with noninvasive devices 'is really bad. … I think these patients do much, much worse on the ventilator.'”

"Gattinoni wrote that about 20 percent to 30 percent of the patients examined had severe symptoms, with stiff and heavy lungs that should be treated with ventilators under ARDS protocols to alleviate dangerous fluid buildup. But more than half of the patients whose records Gattinoni examined showed less severe symptoms, with thin, elastic lungs that did not fit the ARDS profile. Treating those symptoms with a ventilator could prove deadly, Gattinoni said in an interview.

Mechanical ventilators are highly invasive. Using them involves inserting a tube through a patient’s mouth — a procedure called "intubation" — and forcing air into the lungs. The traditional ARDS ventilator methods could apply too much high pressure to the lungs, potentially causing serious damage'

"And this is what’s happened, I’m afraid, in New York,' Gattinoni said."

"A total of 1,151 patients required mechanical ventilators. Of the 320 for whom final outcomes are known (either death or discharge), 88 percent died. That compares with about 80 percent of patients who died on ventilators before the pandemic, according to previous studies — and with the death rate of about 50 percent that some critical-care doctors had optimistically hoped for when the first cases were diagnosed."

"Cervantes believes ventilators are exacerbating the problems for COVID-19 patients and making it harder for them to recover, even killing them. Intubated patients are often in the hospital for much longer, he said, and the longer they’re in the less likely they are to leave."

And @Old Man Jingles remember when I was talking about potentially repurposing cpap and bipap machines. Apparently I was on the right track, and they wouldn't have needed to be altered.

"Researchers and clinicians on the front lines are trying. In a small study last week in Annals of Intensive Care, physicians who treated Covid-19 patients at two hospitals in China found that the majority of patients needed no more than a nasal cannula. Among the 41% who needed more intense breathing support, none was put on a ventilator right away. Instead, they were given noninvasive devices such as BiPAP; their blood oxygen levels 'significantly improved' after an hour or two."

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
‘The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COVID because it’s not real.’

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
‘The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm. They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COVID because it’s not real.’

Oh is this like Kamala and the Democrat conspiracy theory that the vaccine is unsafe because orange man bad? Mkay then.

Box Ox

IMG_9292.JPG