Coronavirus

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
I guarantee you we would find out how afraid people really are of covid if they start trying to force euthanizing dogs as a preventive measure like they did with minks. Or grocery delivery workers... though I suspect there would be less outrage over the latter.
Yeah well...

If we didn't shoot the people having the covid parties...

Not shooting my dogs.

But, there is a grocery delivery chick on my route who should definitely be protected.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Are surgeons wearing fishnets on their faces when operating?
Well, I sort of understand your logic but how about this?

"If masks don't work, then why do surgeons wear them?"

First, let's be clear. The premise that surgeons wearing masks serves as evidence that "masks must work to prevent viral transmission" is a logical fallacy that I would classify as an argument of false equivalence, or comparing "apples to oranges."

Although surgeons do wear masks to prevent their respiratory droplets from contaminating the surgical field and the exposed internal tissues of our surgical patients, that is about as far as the analogy extends. Obviously, surgeons cannot "socially distance" from their surgical patients (unless we use robotic surgical devices, in which case, I would definitely not wear a mask).

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I fully expected something like this to happen at some point in my life. I never in a million years thought that people would react in this way to something that killed under 1% and the risk to children is almost zero.
We have a whole generation that needs a safe space and therapy for a hangnail.

El Correcto

god is dead

First, let's be clear. The premise that surgeons wearing masks serves as evidence that "masks must work to prevent viral transmission" is a logical fallacy that I would classify as an argument of false equivalence, or comparing "apples to oranges."

Although surgeons do wear masks to prevent their respiratory droplets from contaminating the surgical field and the exposed internal tissues of our surgical patients, that is about as far as the analogy extends. Obviously, surgeons cannot "socially distance" from their surgical patients (unless we use robotic surgical devices, in which case, I would definitely not wear a mask).
Why do you hate science?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
From the CDC:
COVID-19 spreads mainly from person to person through respiratory droplets. Respiratory droplets travel into the air when you cough, sneeze, talk, shout, or sing. These droplets can then land in the mouths or noses of people who are near you or they may breathe these droplets in.
Masks are a simple barrier to help prevent your respiratory droplets from reaching others. Studies show that masks reduce the spray of droplets when worn over the nose and mouth.

From the Mayo Clinic:
Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19? Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus.

From Johns Hopkins:
Yes, face masks help prevent the spread of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19. If you are infected with the coronavirus and do not know it, a mask is very good at keeping your respiratory droplets and particles from infecting others. A mask can also be somewhat effective in preventing germs from getting into your nose and mouth that come from another person’s respiratory droplets.

Pretty much every major medical institution will tell you the same thing. But it's a free country, so you can certainly choose to ignore the experts and take the advice of some anonymous truck drivers on an internet forum.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
From the CDC:
COVID-19 spreads mainly from person to person through respiratory droplets. Respiratory droplets travel into the air when you cough, sneeze, talk, shout, or sing. These droplets can then land in the mouths or noses of people who are near you or they may breathe these droplets in.
Masks are a simple barrier to help prevent your respiratory droplets from reaching others. Studies show that masks reduce the spray of droplets when worn over the nose and mouth.

From the Mayo Clinic:
Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19? Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus.

From Johns Hopkins:
Yes, face masks help prevent the spread of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19. If you are infected with the coronavirus and do not know it, a mask is very good at keeping your respiratory droplets and particles from infecting others. A mask can also be somewhat effective in preventing germs from getting into your nose and mouth that come from another person’s respiratory droplets.

Pretty much every major medical institution will tell you the same thing. But it's a free country, so you can certainly choose to ignore the experts and take the advice of some anonymous truck drivers on an internet forum.
The evidence at this point actually strongly supports airborne spread over droplet spread. Which means most masks are going to to very very little to prevent spread.

It will be fine

From the CDC:

From the Mayo Clinic:

From Johns Hopkins:

Hey, some of these truck driver took some undergrad courses, a few even have degrees. That’s basically the same thing as a medical degree and years of study in the field.

Box Ox

Do you not believe there's less of a chance that one of us inhales the other's respiratory droplets if we're both wearing surgical masks?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

The great thing is, this is the strongest evidence that masks work. Often referred to as the pee-pee pants hypothesis, many people are quite relieved (pun intended) to discover their neighbor cannot, in fact, urinate on them while wearing pants. But, a more applicable analogy, known as the Flatus Theory, demonstrates the reality far more accurately.

xt1s95otpru41.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

The data that has been investigated suggest that post-operative infections are more likely following operations where the operation staff wore masks. But the headlines don't tell you that, so most people are unaware of the fact.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Couldn't tell ya. Think even the vaccine studies only looked for recurring infections for up to a 2 month time period if I've heard correctly.
Vaccine is supposed to last for at least a year could be much longer.

The vaccine is also only injecting you with a small portion of the vaccine. Getting the full virus itself Will give you immunity for much longer.
Of course there will be a few outliers that do not get immunity from catching it. Hell the vaccine isn’t 100% either.