Do you see labor unions ever making a major comeback?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends: it seems to me, that in general, unions aren't doing a very good job of marketing themselves, and the Teamsters specifically doesn't seem to have any organizing strategy whatsoever, IMHO.

I planted a seed with a buddy of mine who owns his own service company with a decent sized workforce. I explained that many of the companies that our local negotiates with have found that the Teamsters offer better insurance at a better price than they can get on their own. He is staunchly anti-union, but he did seem interested in the benefits idea.

If unions can rebrand themselves as a way to help companies control their employment costs, and maybe a reason for companies to scale back/outsource their HR departments, sort of like UPS has, then I think Unions could start a rebound. The grievance system alone could potentially shield companies from massive losses in courts.

One of the biggest obstacles is that the politicians who claim to be pro-union actually see unions as competition to their power grabs. Who needs a $15 national minimum wage if wages are negotiated by unions? How can a politicians get support from constituents if they don't have a $15 minimum wage to push for?
Now not all businesses of course but many are setting themselves up in a way (independent contractor) that makes it virtually impossible to gain membership on a large scale

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ever shrinking number. Government unions have more clout since influence state run elections.
I obviously cannot speak for the entire country but around here government unions are the only ones that vote democrat. All of your private union a large majority of those people are GOP

Hot Carl

Considering the number of states with "right-to-work" legislation on the books, I doubt it.

But unions also went down with the industries they represented. Things like automation and natural gas really took a toll on emoloyment sectors like coal mining and manufacturing.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Depends: it seems to me, that in general, unions aren't doing a very good job of marketing themselves, and the Teamsters specifically doesn't seem to have any organizing strategy whatsoever, IMHO.

I would disagree with that broad generalization, and would liken it, to a Monday morning quarterback perspective.

Organizing is not easy.

Very few members (even Stewards) have ever been involved with an organizing campaign.

The IBT reports organizing victories in every issue of the Teamster magazine.

I could elaborate on the finer issues ?

Zowert

If Amazon employees start unionizing, then yes. However I highly doubt they have any success. Bezos is just too powerful and there are way too many people willing to work paycheck to paycheck.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I would disagree with that broad generalization, and would liken it, to a Monday morning quarterback perspective.

Organizing is not easy.

Very few members (even Stewards) have ever been involved with an organizing campaign.

The IBT reports organizing victories in every issue of the Teamster magazine.

I could elaborate on the finer issues ?

I'll own all of those criticisms. What I wrote wasn't meant as disrespectful. I also didn't mean that they don't organize, just simply saying that it doesn't seem to little ol' me that there is a strategy for growth. I could be dead wrong about that, and I know that organizing isn't easy. My two cents is that the problem solving involved in organizing could use some lateral thinking.

If I were a business owner, I'd be more concerned about what the government is going to force onto me. If I could curtail that by installing a system through which I could bargain over those issues and have more say in them, I think I'd rather go that route.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Universal healthcare, minimum wages higher than union starting wages, free higher education removing more people from trade jobs....

Do you think people want to pay union dues or do you think they want the government to just give them everything they want?

Union membership has been on the decline for decades and I don't see anything happening to turn that around.
Honestly, SWM discrimination may be the saving grace

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'll own all of those criticisms. What I wrote wasn't meant as disrespectful.

It's all good.

I realized, any response from me would seem like criticism.

I also didn't mean that they don't organize, just simply saying that it doesn't seem to little ol' me that there is a strategy for growth. I could be dead wrong about that, and I know that organizing isn't easy. My two cents is that the problem solving involved in organizing could use some lateral thinking.

The prevailing thought is to go after the "low hanging fruit" so to speak.

If you read about the organizing victories in the Teamster magazine, they are generally small groups.

The days of organizing hundreds of employees at one location are few and far between. The days of just

pulling up to the front gate and start dropping cards to people as they walk in, have proven untenable.

I worked on one campaign involving 250+ employees. We spent 3 1/2 to 4 months working on them.

We had employee committees, made home visits to talk with potential members, pulled out all the stops.

In the end, we didn't drop cards. The support just wasn't there. All that time and money spent.... gone.

And then, if we had organized them.... the chances of recouping all that money from dues, was not possible.

If I were a business owner, I'd be more concerned about what the government is going to force onto me. If I could curtail that by installing a system through which I could bargain over those issues and have more say in them, I think I'd rather go that route.

If an employer is willing to grant card check neutrality.... great.

Most would rather hire a Union busting attorney or "consultants" to dissuade the employees, and remain Union free.

Two members of my Local were hired by the IBT organizing department and did that for years. Oh the stories....

-Bug-

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It's all good.

I don't mind criticism. Ideas need to be challenged if you want to figure out if they are any good.

This is where I see the best potential. Just have to start helping people see that whatever the government is going to force on them will be worse than being able to negotiate face to face over employment terms.
Most would rather hire a Union busting attorney or "consultants" to dissuade the employees, and remain Union free.

Probably because unionization is seen as an adversarial situation. If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation. Union's and businesses team up to make better workplaces for employee so the political will to have government fix (ruin) things won't be so strong. What's better for businesses and workers, a one-size-fits-all $15 minimum wage? Or negotiated wages where people who've worked longer and are better at the job get the higher pay?

It's all good.

The prevailing thought is to go after the "low hanging fruit" so to speak.

If you read about the organizing victories in the Teamster magazine, they are generally small groups.

The days of organizing hundreds of employees at one location are few and far between. The days of just

pulling up to the front gate and start dropping cards to people as they walk in, have proven untenable.

I worked on one campaign involving 250+ employees. We spent 3 1/2 to 4 months working on them.

We had employee committees, made home visits to talk with potential members, pulled out all the stops.

In the end, we didn't drop cards. The support just wasn't there. All that time and money spent.... gone.

And then, if we had organized them.... the chances of recouping all that money from dues, was not possible.

Two members of my Local were hired by the IBT organizing department and did that for years. Oh the stories....

-Bug-
Well support for unions is at record high in recent memory I'm thinking with the way everybody leans politically unions are going to gain more support especially as gen z enters the workforce.

Considering the number of states with "right-to-work" legislation on the books, I doubt it.

But unions also went down with the industries they represented. Things like automation and natural gas really took a toll on emoloyment sectors like coal mining and manufacturing.
Cool thing about the pro act is that eliminates right to work laws

Whither

Scofflaw
Probably because unionization is seen as an adversarial situation. If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation. Union's and businesses team up to make better workplaces for employee so the political will to have government fix (ruin) things won't be so strong. What's better for businesses and workers, a one-size-fits-all $15 minimum wage? Or negotiated wages where people who've worked longer and are better at the job get the higher pay?
I don't think marketing can gloss over that 'the economy' imposes an adversarial situation. Companies want higher profit margins and sped up production, and unions want higher wages, including expensive benefits, and better working conditions. Since companies compete against each to survive, only so much of those additional costs can be passed on to their customers.

Let's not forget that 'business unionism' has been the dominant strand -- 'a fair day's work for a fair day's pay' -- and was essentially powerless to prevent companies from seeking to replace costly human labor with robots or far cheaper labor in developing countries. Or else to use all legal means (see Fed Ex, and btw thanks government!) to thwart attempts at unionizing.