Driving with a disability?

Heyump

I've been a package loader for 3 years and some change now. I do my work well, no write ups, and follow the rules most of the time, haha.
I have hidradenitis pretty severe. It's a skin disorder that causes abcess and infection so it flares up often and I end up having to call out 2,3, sometimes 4 times a month.
I disclosed it as a disability from the beginning of my employment, provided documentation from my doctor and it hasn't really been an issue while loading.

Now my question is that if I decided to pursue a higher paying, higher responsibility job like driving would I have any protection?
Or do you have any advice on maybe a different, but higher paying job?
I've also considered just loading until the robots replace us

DriverNerd

You should not let a medical disorder discourage you from trying to better your life. Obviously UPS legally can not use your medical condition against you if you want to become a driver, though you could still find an :censored2: supervisor who will try to disqualify you if you end up taking days off during your probationary period. If you do not have a legal disability you may need to have doctor's notes along the way to deal with excessive call-ins, but who cares. Don't just accept a crappy employment future; at least try.

You should not let a medical disorder discourage you from trying to better your life. Obviously UPS legally can not use your medical condition against you if you want to become a driver, though you could still find an * supervisor who will try to disqualify you if you end up taking days off during your probationary period. If you do not have a legal disability you may need to have doctor's notes along the way to deal with excessive call-ins, but who cares. Don't just accept a crappy employment future; at least try.
But that won't stop the company from not letting him make his 30 days

El Correcto

god is dead
I've been a package loader for 3 years and some change now. I do my work well, no write ups, and follow the rules most of the time, haha.
I have hidradenitis pretty severe. It's a skin disorder that causes abcess and infection so it flares up often and I end up having to call out 2,3, sometimes 4 times a month.
I disclosed it as a disability from the beginning of my employment, provided documentation from my doctor and it hasn't really been an issue while loading.

Now my question is that if I decided to pursue a higher paying, higher responsibility job like driving would I have any protection?
Or do you have any advice on maybe a different, but higher paying job?
I've also considered just loading until the robots replace us
I looked up some pictures of the condition, that does seem pretty severe my guy.
You might be better off seeking employment where you can work in an office and not be rubbing so much. This job would probably make you miserable with those lesions. You skin is going to be rubbing together excessively.

El Correcto

god is dead
I don’t usually suggest this to people, but you might be better off seeking a management position for the sake of your physical health.
I honestly don’t know if you could do this job with that condition.

Cowboy Mac

I agree. It’s one thing to work 4-5 hours loading trucks inside the building, but when you sign up for driving, you are signing up for working 8+ hours a day up to 14 hours a day. In the summer heat and the cold of winter. On the driest days and in wet weather conditions. While you could probably be protected legally from being fired for a disability, you have to think about your health and is the job a good fit for you.
I looked up some pictures of the condition, that does seem pretty severe my guy.
You might be better off seeking employment where you can work in an office and not be rubbing so much. This job would probably make you miserable with those lesions. You skin is going to be rubbing together excessively.

MassWineGuy

The long hours and intense weather may make driving pretty miserable. But that’s an unknown unless you try it. If your condition is a valid, recognized disability and you apply for driving, I can imagine some interesting lawsuits you could hit UPS with if they to discourage or get rid of you. If the settlement is good, you’d be set.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
You might want to have a lot of savings built up if you later need to change work for health purposes. The PT gig is basically your lifeline and I personally would not give it up in these circumstances.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just what the center needs, someone will call out 3-4 days a month. We got some female drivers that do than now. Others pay the price.