AutoZone

BrownPower
Thank you a lot, man!

Hey what did you guys do as far as making money when UPS doesn't need you for the day? I'm still working for the post office because they won't give me emergency annual, but they gonna let me bang in for so long.

Pretty sure I'm gonna get fired soon since I'm going to have to call out this whole week so that I can to to class and then next week whenever UPS needs me.
Unfortunately your at their Beck and call... must of the guys here say they did like pizza or auto parts delivery.. knew someone that owned a landscape business.. things easily attainable, but can peace out at a moment's notice if needed

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Everything on those 3 pages.. memorize it all! EVERYTHING.. I still work full time at a car dealership.. spoke with the center manager for the center I want to be in.. he said he'll be in touch with me this week after he gets some routes changed around.. so hopefully not to much longer...
it won't matter unless he needs an air driver. You're not a TCD so you can't just ask to cover routes. Other cover drivers who are qualified could file on you driving. There's an actual process to TCD where you go through a training route and a packet. It isn't just you doing whatever route is open. You're too new for that. In the southern, the classifications are FT, TCD and air drivers. You have to be qualified in the classification you want to work. It's not interchangeable. You don't get the same rights as FT as a TCD and you don't get the same as a TCD when you're just an air driver.

But if he needs a Saturday air driver or some nda help, he will call you. Except you work another job so you'll turn it down.

And he will stop wasting his time.

optikz

it won't matter unless he needs an air driver. You're not a TCD so you can't just ask to cover routes. Other cover drivers who are qualified could file on you driving. There's an actual process to TCD where you go through a training route and a packet. It isn't just you doing whatever route is open. You're too new for that. In the southern, the classifications are FT, TCD and air drivers. You have to be qualified in the classification you want to work. It's not interchangeable. You don't get the same rights as FT as a TCD and you don't get the same as a TCD when you're just an air driver.

But if he needs a Saturday air driver or some nda help, he will call you. Except you work another job so you'll turn it down.

And he will stop wasting his time.
what is TCD? I just got hired as a permanent full time driver. as curious what TCD is

Jondlc

I passed the driving test!! Man, driving in Brooklyn is the worst! Brooklyn people :censored2:ing suck at driving jesus christ!

Tomorrow ill do the 5s and 10s and 8s and 5s and 6s and 8s (Yea its not just the 5s and 10s anymore according to the instructor) thankfully i know it all by heart.

Heres hoping I can at least do good enough during the holidays to make them hire me again after January...

optikz

I passed the driving test!! Man, driving in Brooklyn is the worst! Brooklyn people :censored2:ing suck at driving jesus christ!

Tomorrow ill do the 5s and 10s and 8s and 5s and 6s and 8s (Yea its not just the 5s and 10s anymore according to the instructor) thankfully i know it all by heart.

Heres hoping I can at least do good enough during the holidays to make them hire me again after January...

I was only instructed to learn the 5 and 10. what are the other ones you listed? HR and management only gave me the 5 and 10s.

Jondlc

I was only instructed to learn the 5 and 10. what are the other ones you listed? HR and management only gave me the 5 and 10s.

Yeah HR told me to be there at 9:am and the class started at 8:am. . Every single rule, word by word, all of it.

Attachments

• 20160926_193426.jpg
    20160926_193426.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 227

optikz

Yeah HR told me to be there at 9:am and the class started at 8:am. . Every single rule, word by word, all of it.

my paper doesn't look like that. the 10 step commentary is a LOT longer and more detailed than that. like paragraphs. I was told to learn it word for word with the 5 seeing habits.

a guy I know that just got hired said he only had to know the 5 and 10s and has no idea what the other stuff you posted was either. must be different here

optikz

my copy of the 10 point commentary.

I was told to know this word for word which I've memorized as well as the 5 seeing habits.

Attachments

• 1474940917611.jpg
    1474940917611.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 176

BigD Bri

OT after 5 hours of work even for a new hire. Double shifters can easily make $1k to 1.5k a week during Peak. Most I ever made was just short of $2k.

This was the question I was going to ask. If possible, can you, or someone, elaborate on how double shifting during peak works. Do you need to set it up with your full time sup, or the sup on the other shift?.. Also, I'm assuming these are 12 hour plus days?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Hi all, I just started as a part time package handler on the preload shift. Was just wondering how overtime pay works?

This was the question I was going to ask. If possible, can you, or someone, elaborate on how double shifting during peak works. Do you need to set it up with your full time sup, or the sup on the other shift?.. Also, I'm assuming these are 12 hour plus days?
@Abomb2593 & @BigD Bri : questions about OT pay & double shifting are best answered by reading your specific Union Contract Supplement (and/or Local Rider) and asking knowledgeable coworkers/shop stewards. Some Supplements have "weasel words" in them that let's the company pay OT after 8 hours, instead of after 5. As far as double shifting, there may be extra work sign up sheets; or they might simply be begging for help when your shift is ending and the next is starting. Definitely let your FT supervisor know you're interested in double shifting.

John Ericson

I am going to try to compile a faq page for all new hires.

New UPSers, feel free to post your questions here in this thread if you haven't found your answer elsewhere.
Yeah I have a question, I just started loading my first week as a new hire and my supervisor said I was slow and I had to sign a paper confirming that I was moving slow but I told him that it was my first week and he said you still have to sign it no matter what, I just want to know if this is true as a new hire that just stared

Rack em

Made the Podium
Yeah I have a question, I just started loading my first week as a new hire and my supervisor said I was slow and I had to sign a paper confirming that I was moving slow but I told him that it was my first week and he said you still have to sign it no matter what, I just want to know if this is true as a new hire that just stared
Don't sign anything without union representation present! Did you read what you signed? It sounds like he got you to sign admitting you were intentionally working slow... I would have said "No, but I'll sign a piece of paper saying I was working as fast as possible especially with it being my first week"

John Ericson

Don't sign anything without union representation present! Did you read what you signed? It sounds like he got you to sign admitting you were intentionally working slow... I would have said "No, but I'll sign a piece of paper saying I was working as fast as possible especially with it being my first week"
Yeah i know he said I had too because it was a ratio of how many packages I was packing per hour, I'm not part of the union yet this is only my first actual whole week of working