AutoZone

BrownPower
Is it normal to not get any sort of overview of the truck prior to going out for a road test? I passed the test and all but the guy was like "OK hop on its all you", I'm like OK.. Guessing how to turn on the truck and all. Like 5m later he goes Oh you need to press this button and then another button...He knocked me 10pts because I :censored2:ed a gear change but mind you the truck felt like it was used in ww1 and that gearbox needs work. I drive a stick, there's no way I don't know my gear changes. Hey, maybe the truck behaves differently.. I've never driven a truck before.. But again, not even an overview of the whole truck.

I passed but that kinda ticked me off.

/rant.
Don't worry about it.. they have to dock u somewhere.. no on drives them perfect.. doesn't matter if he docked you 120 points, you passed.. congrats.. now go get certified in class.. start practicing your 5s and 10s.. is tough man!! I had a 3 day notice for mine, and needed until the final test day in class to get it down.. learn it early... trust me

Jondlc

Don't worry about it.. they have to dock u somewhere.. no on drives them perfect.. doesn't matter if he docked you 120 points, you passed.. congrats.. now go get certified in class.. start practicing your 5s and 10s.. is tough man!! I had a 3 day notice for mine, and needed until the final test day in class to get it down.. learn it early... trust me
Thank you! What are 5s and 10s?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I've verified with HR, center managers, hub director... I'm they the class, I'm certified to drive no matter my classification.. I drive air and deliver 1 ground box, I get paid cover rate.. if I'm asked to cover, I'm cleared.. you're dumb.. go away.. I even called the guy that taught my class and he said whoever said that(you) is an idiot.. lol pretty funny
obviously you've never read the contract with the southern supplement. You're an air driver. If you deliver 1 ground you get paid TCD rate but that doesn't count towards your 30 days toward TCD seniority.

You are not "certified to drive no matter what classification". If that were true, I know a lot of package guys that'll just jump to feeders right now regardless. Doesn't work that way skippy. Read your contract. Read your supplement. You can drive airs. That's it chump. You're so stupid that you didn't realize you took an air bid not a TCD bid. If you took a TCD bid, you would be assigned to a center and placed on the same "training " route for your 30.

Obviously the guy who taught your class will tell you anything. Ask your BA numb nuts.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Thank you! What are 5s and 10s?
You need to learn the 5 seeing habits...
A-ll
G-ood
K-ids
L-ike
M-ilk

Aim high in steering
Get the big picture
Keep your eyes moving
Leave yourself an out
Make sure they see You.

Those are the 5 seeing habits.

You also need to learn the 10 point commentary...
Stopped in traffic
Starting up at intersections
Count 1,2,3...
Following distance
Eye lead time
Scan steering wheels
Stale green lights
Eye contact
Pulling from curb
And use of mirrors and gauges...

Basically 15 paragraphs you need to memorize and learn. If you can't do it, dont even attempt going to class... go to your HR, and get the study material right away so you're ready... like I said, they called me on a Friday at 6pm right before my sort, come do your road test.. I do it, pass it, and they give me the study material and say class is Monday, learn this word for word... my jaw dropped.. and then i realized it IS ups... why make things easy..... good luck dude...

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
A-ll
G-ood
K-ids
L-ike
M-ilk

Aim high in steering
Get the big picture
Keep your eyes moving
Leave yourself an out
Make sure they see You.

Stopped in traffic
Count 1,2,3...
Following distance
Eye lead time
Scan steering wheels
Stale green lights
Eye contact
Pulling from curb

Basically 15 paragraphs you need to memorize and learn. If you can't do it, dont even attempt going to class... go to your HR, and get the study material right away so you're ready... like I said, they called me on a Friday at 6pm right before my sort, come do your road test.. I do it, pass it, and they give me the study material and say class is Monday, learn this word for word... my jaw dropped.. and then i realized it IS ups... why make things easy..... good luck dude...
5 and 10 is literally half the class. It's not that hard to learn.

AutoZone

BrownPower
5 and 10 is literally half the class. It's not that hard to learn.
Well, I had the 5s and first 4 of the commentary by Monday... up to 6 on Tuesday, all of it by Wednesday missing a few words here and there, and perfect by Thursday.. and that was hitting it from 6-11pm every night, and I went to class an hour and a half early every morning to write it all out again to help with my memorization.. it wasn't easy.. if I had a month to prepare, I'm sure it would feel a little easier..

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Well, I had the 5s and first 4 of the commentary by Monday... up to 6 on Tuesday, all of it by Wednesday missing a few words here and there, and perfect by Thursday.. and that was hitting it from 6-11pm every night, and I went to class an hour and a half early every morning to write it all out again to help with my memorization.. it wasn't easy.. if I had a month to prepare, I'm sure it would feel a little easier..

That's the easiest part of the job. Now go out there and actually apply those methods while making service and maintaining safety on a circle of honor type level for a whole career.

And still maintain a sense of urgency and a fairs days work for a fair days pay.

Not so cut and dry Mr "I said this job is so simple"?

Jondlc

A-ll
G-ood
K-ids
L-ike
M-ilk

Aim high in steering
Get the big picture
Keep your eyes moving
Leave yourself an out
Make sure they see You.

Stopped in traffic
Count 1,2,3...
Following distance
Eye lead time
Scan steering wheels
Stale green lights
Eye contact
Pulling from curb

Wow I guess I have until tuesday to memorize this. Thank you! HR said she'll give me "cheat sheets" tomorrow and a driver gave me a small sort of card and told me to memorize it.

By The Book

I said yet.. obviously you can't read.. after 4 year progression, it'll be worth it.. $13 air isn't worth it..
Good news on the home front....you do have a 2 year progression as an air driver, which tops out at double that. You are correct on the tcd rate if you handle/deliver a ground pkg, but not sure if it applies to an ARS pickup pkg. There are two 4 year progressions, the one you're in and the one for a person qualifying to become a full time driver.

W

What The Hawk?

Hired on Monday, haven't received word of orientation. She said it would either be Friday (tomorrow) or Monday. should i call tomorrow and see what my status is? Or go to the center?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hired on Monday, haven't received word of orientation. She said it would either be Friday (tomorrow) or Monday. should i call tomorrow and see what my status is? Or go to the center?

Go down there and be a strait up pain in the ass keep calling and bugging her eventually she will get tired of hearing from you and get you a job

W

What The Hawk?

Go down there and be a strait up pain in the ass keep calling and bugging her eventually she will get tired of hearing from you and get you a job
She took my SSI number and said a background check could take 3 days and orientation would be either Friday or Monday. She told me congrats, you're hired basically. Is this to see if I really want the job and we seek it further or am I being impatient?

W

What The Hawk?

Will my orientation date and time show up on my UPS Career profile like my interview did?

AutoZone

BrownPower
Wow I guess I have until tuesday to memorize this. Thank you! HR said she'll give me "cheat sheets" tomorrow and a driver gave me a small sort of card and told me to memorize it.
That little yellow card is nothing... the 10 point is just summarized... you need to know the entire paragraph for each one.. I think the 5 seeing habits are correct on those cards tho..

AutoZone

BrownPower
This is only good after you pass the class...

Attachments

• 1474020355799.jpg
    1474020355799.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 278

AutoZone

BrownPower
There you go bud.. screen shot them and start learning

Attachments

• 1474020447903.jpg
    1474020447903.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,419
  • 1474020469093.jpg
    1474020469093.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,385
  • 1474020487243.jpg
    1474020487243.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 391

Jondlc

There you go bud.. screen shot them and start learning

Thank you a lot, man!

Hey what did you guys do as far as making money when UPS doesn't need you for the day? I'm still working for the post office because they won't give me emergency annual, but they gonna let me bang in for so long.

Pretty sure I'm gonna get fired soon since I'm going to have to call out this whole week so that I can to to class and then next week whenever UPS needs me.

Jondlc

Thank you a lot, man!

Hey what did you guys do as far as making money when UPS doesn't need you for the day? I'm still working for the post office because they won't give me emergency annual, but they gonna let me bang in for so long.

Pretty sure I'm gonna get fired soon since I'm going to have to call out this whole week so that I can to to class and then next week whenever UPS needs me.

Also am I supposed to learn the how, what and key also?

AutoZone

BrownPower
Also am I supposed to learn the how, what and key also?
Everything on those 3 pages.. memorize it all! EVERYTHING.. I still work full time at a car dealership.. spoke with the center manager for the center I want to be in.. he said he'll be in touch with me this week after he gets some routes changed around.. so hopefully not to much longer...