Gas surcharge, thanks to Joe

Non liberal

The 4680 cell easily bests a million miles with less than 10% degradation. It's rolling out in select new Teslas now. 5000 cycles at 300 miles each is a very low estimate.

Tesla started keeping it under wraps as soon as the Osborne Effect was clear. The million mile battery could've bankrupted Tesla if they announced it and confirmed it.

The Osborne computer company went bankrupt by announcing its next generation tech too soon, leading consumers to stop buying the first, and it cut off the lifeblood of cash as customers waited for the new, much better version.

Independent researchers stopped publishing tests on it. Tesla stopped making videos about it. New warranties don't increase in mileage much. But those are 2 to 4 million mile batteries. As soon as they say so, they will stop selling current cars.

Tesla paid people to shut up about it. The Osborne effect is an existential threat for companies that innovate too fast.
You would think that a 2-4 million mile battery would sell like hot cakes so much so that the profit margin would be irresistible to Tesla. I think if they had it, it would be in production asap.

wilberforce15

You would think that a 2-4 million mile battery would sell like hot cakes so much so that the profit margin would be irresistible to Tesla. I think if they had it, it would be in production asap.
You miss the point. Production is happening at the fastest growth rate in the history of the automotive industry, and Tesla sells everything they make without it. If they announced or confirmed it, they'd lose sales. A lot of sales. And maybe go broke while trying to ramp production.

That's because it takes a few years to get that production to scale. Right now, it's only going out in select models.

Look at the articles from 2020 and 2021. They have it. It's been tested by 3rd parties. Half a dozen other companies are trying to copy the form factor.

Then they ghosted. It's obvious why.

The gigafactories are just starting to churn them out.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Were you in a coma during the 4 years of the trump regime. Worse president in the history of the US.
No. I was fully awake and aware of my surroundings. I did not have my head up and locked like some PT flunky with bad English grammar skills.....LOL

Worse than what??? Oh, never mind....

Est.1998

The rise in gas costs and inflation eats up our yearly wage gain. When you apply inflation to our wage we are essentially making 2.4% an hour less then we were a year ago. Those numbers are from December and are worse now, also doesn’t take into consideration the price of food. So yeah it does affect him. I already traded in my pickup because I was spending 130$ every week and a half on gas. Cost 65$ on January 19th 2021.
What do you drive now?

Non liberal

I'm afraid you're more than a few years behind. New tesla batteries will outlast the body of the car, after you pass it down to your kid, and then will be used for grid storage after retiring as a car battery.
There’s no way they are going to keep using car batteries for grid storage either once everyone starts buying them there will be too many used batteries, they’ll have to figure something out. And as soon as the whole population buys them they will be just as expensive and bad for the environment as gasoline cars.

wilberforce15

There’s no way they are going to keep using car batteries for grid storage either once everyone starts buying them there will be too many used batteries, they’ll have to figure something out. And as soon as the whole population buys them they will be just as expensive and bad for the environment as gasoline cars.
I don't follow.

Once the car wears out and the battery is still good, why not use it for grid storage?

Non liberal

I don't follow.

Once the car wears out and the battery is still good, why not use it for grid ?
Eventually it’s going to wear out and when you have them selling as many electric cars as you do gasoline cars now there is going to be an overload of used batteries they are not going to know what to do with. The recycling process currently is too expensive to justify. I’ve read that article on these batteries and there is only a 16% increase in range? How is longevity so much greater if the range is only 16% better. Which by the way decreases the more people are in the vehicle, and forget about towing anything. You’ll end up with like 100 mile range if you tow anything.

wilberforce15

Eventually it’s going to wear out and when you have them selling as many electric cars as you do gasoline cars now there is going to be an overload of used batteries they are not going to know what to do with. The recycling process currently is too expensive to justify. I’ve read that article on these batteries and there is only a 16% increase in range? How is longevity so much greater if the range is only 16% better. Which by the way decreases the more people are in the vehicle, and forget about towing anything. You’ll end up with like 100 mile range if you tow anything.
Range is more difficult to improve than longevity.

No recycling. Just reuse. When it outlasts the car, rip it out, mount it in the ground and store solar or grid energy in it. No refurbishment.

There is no amount of batteries that would be too much for grid applications.

The problem is not having enough. Well never have too much.

And range is a function of how much they decide to put in there for cost reasons. We can make a 1000 mile EV pretty easily if you want to pay for it.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
1646609752272.png

AKCoverMan

Screw a bunch of "tough times". I'm still going to Texas in April for the grandkids birthdays and taking a 3 week trip to Alaska in June because my wife wants to see it. My motorcycle gets the best milage of any vehicle I own so I will be riding it more this summer.
Thanks for stopping by and spending your money here. Alaska appreciates it! 😎

AKCoverMan

The battery never needs to be replaced.
There’s about eleventyfive videos out there that talk about the high cost to replaces Old batteries in EVs. And the matter of what to do with the old batteries. I’m not saying these are problems that can’t be solved, we’re just not completely there yet, Changeover to sustainable EV tech will happen but we need a few more breakthrough discoveries. Some people want to force change to happen via legislative action.. just let nature and the free markets take their course.

wilberforce15

There’s about eleventyfive videos out there that talk about the high cost to replaces Old batteries in EVs. And the matter of what to do with the old batteries. I’m not saying these are problems that can’t be solved, we’re just not completely there yet, Changeover to sustainable EV tech will happen but we need a few more breakthrough discoveries. Some people want to force change to happen via legislative action.. just let nature and the free markets take their course.
They've already been solved. All of those videos are about old EVs.

Two years is old.
5 years is an AARP card.

8 years is ancient.

That's how EV ages work.