Gas surcharge, thanks to Joe

AKCoverMan

They've already been solved. All of those videos are about old EVs.

Two years is old.
5 years is an AARP card.

8 years is ancient.

That's how EV ages work.
That’s why expect this stuff to be very mainstream and gas vehicles to become ”classics”… but in about 8-10 years.

When purchase cost, and total cost of ownership get significantly below combustibles Then we will see tipping point. Not there yet, The far left would like to just wave a wand and ban all fossil fuel today. That would be ruinous to our civilization.

wilberforce15

That’s why expect this stuff to be very mainstream and gas vehicles to become ”classics”… but in about 8-10 years.

When purchase cost, and total cost of ownership get significantly below combustibles Then we will see tipping point. Not there yet, The far left would like to just wave a wand and ban all fossil fuel today. That would be ruinous to our civilization.
Tesla is there as of this year. And tesla is 5 years ahead of everyone.

So, your time frame is about correct.

AKCoverMan

You will never see a video about a 4680 battery being replaced for old age or use.

Period.
this 4680 isn’t even bring manufactured yet.

I‘m sure this or something better will in fact come along and will be a boon to mankind. If you like science fiction read Robert A Heinlein. In his “future history” he predicted an amazing new power storage technology called the “Shipstone” which made collecting, storing, and transporting energy incredibly cheap and practical. It will happen all in good time.

AKCoverMan

Tesla is there as of this year. And tesla is 5 years ahead of everyone.
Well, Elon makes some fantastic stuff but his time frames leave a bit to be desired,, having said that you should not expect innovation to run on a precise schedule. EV development is happening at breakneck speed, but I see a lot more yet to come over time. I’ll prob keep driving my used gas burner few more years.. it’s paid for.

Non liberal

Range is more difficult to improve than longevity.

No recycling. Just reuse. When it outlasts the car, rip it out, mount it in the ground and store solar or grid energy in it. No refurbishment.

There is no amount of batteries that would be too much for grid applications.

The problem is not having enough. Well never have too much.

And range is a function of how much they decide to put in there for cost reasons. We can make a 1000 mile EV pretty easily if you want to pay for it.
They do not last forever im sorry to say, and if they can’t improve range at a reasonable cost then ev are dead in the water. And where would you store millions upon millions of batteries for grid applications? I like your enthusiasm, but it’s just not feasible at the moment. I’ll take my low cost gasoline vehicle or better yet diesel that will outlast a battery any day.

wilberforce15

this 4680 isn’t even bring manufactured yet.

I‘m sure this or something better will in fact come along and will be a boon to mankind. If you like science fiction read Robert A Heinlein. In his “future history” he predicted an amazing new power storage technology called the “Shipstone” which made collecting, storing, and transporting energy incredibly cheap and practical. It will happen all in good time.
Fremont is the pilot factory, already having made a million cells. Giga Texas and giga Berlin will make loads. Both are about complete.

wilberforce15

They do not last forever im sorry to say, and if they can’t improve range at a reasonable cost then ev are dead in the water. And where would you store millions upon millions of batteries for grid applications? I like your enthusiasm, but it’s just not feasible at the moment. I’ll take my low cost gasoline vehicle or better yet diesel that will outlast a battery any day.
300 to 400 miles is absolutely adequate range for the entire consumer market, and we already have that at the same cost as combustion.

It's not enthusiasm. It is current truth.

wilberforce15

A diesel will not outlast the 4680.

It won't outlast half of the 4680.

AKCoverMan

I'd gladly pay 2-3 times for gas if it guaranteed Putin's and trumpies downfall.....
Yes, because we all know Trump and Putin are BFFs. I mean look at all the proof that came out after years of investigation, of looking under every rock for possible dirt on Trump (even if it wasn’t legal to look under some of the rocks..libs looked anyway) I mean it’s staggering…oh yeah, all they found is that Hillary was spying on Trump and the Biden family is hip deep in more corrupt deals than the President can even remember anymore.…

But yes, go ahead and lump all right of center Americans in with the evil dictator Putin.

Non liberal

300 to 400 miles is absolutely adequate range for the entire consumer market, and we already have that at the same cost as combustion.

It's not enthusiasm. It is current truth.
No, we don’t. How do u figure? I get 500 miles out of my gasser, can fill it up in 5 minutes and be on my merry way and the life of my vehicle does not diminish by doing so. You lose 20% of charge capacity in the winter time with electric. Which to me would indicate even less range. I’m sure it takes at least 30minutes to charge at a supercharger, and the more you do quick charges the faster your battery dies. There is no way I would spend 60, 70, 80 grand for a vehicle that will not last as long, get me as far, and break down more often, and have absolutely zero effect on cleaning up the environment. ZERO. And a diesel will do everything better then an ev, except speed.

wilberforce15

No, we don’t. How do u figure? I get 500 miles out of my gasser, can fill it up in 5 minutes and be on my merry way and the life of my vehicle does not diminish by doing so. You lose 20% of charge capacity in the winter time with electric. Which to me would indicate even less range. I’m sure it takes at least 30minutes to charge at a supercharger, and the more you do quick charges the faster your battery dies. There is no way I would spend 60, 70, 80 grand for a vehicle that will not last as long, get me as far, and break down more often, and have absolutely zero effect on cleaning up the environment. ZERO. And a diesel will do everything better then an ev, except speed.
I can fill up my EV in 0 minutes.

I spend less time fueling every week than you do, and I leave every day with a full tank.

Non liberal

Electric motors are inherently more reliable than anything combustion.

Name the things that might break on your diesel, and the EV doesn't even have most of those parts.
No, they have a drivetrain with 1/3 the lifespan of my internal combustion. Like I said, if they can make an electric car that is greener, longer lasting, as reliable, with more or as much range in any kind of weather, im all for it. Untill then, nope.

wilberforce15

No, they have a drivetrain with 1/3 the lifespan of my internal combustion. Like I said, if they can make an electric car that is greener, longer lasting, as reliable, with more or as much range in any kind of weather, im all for it. Untill then, nope.
Why do you think the drivetrain has 1/3 the lifespan?

Because they used to?

Non liberal

Electric motors are inherently more reliable than anything combustion.

Name the things that might break on your diesel, and the EV doesn't even have most of those parts.
I don’t have a diesel, but democrats have ruined them as well because all of their money is invested in green energy. They’re trying to take republicans political funding from them. I was referring to pre 2006 or so.

wilberforce15

I don’t have a diesel, but democrats have ruined them as well because all of their money is invested in green energy. They’re trying to take republicans political funding from them. I was referring to pre 2006 or so.
That's cool. I hate liberals, too.

I also respect superior technology. And anything electric is more reliable than anything combustion.

So, what parts can break on a diesel? And do EVs even have those parts?

wilberforce15

No, because that is what they are currently. 100,000 miles is all they will warranty it for.
Warranty has been explained. Warranty is not the lifespan. The lifespan is how long it lasts.

If Tesla says "we have a 2 million mile battery for a select portion of our 2023 vehicles" their 2022 sales go to 0.

That's how Osborne Computer Corporation went broke.

Because the internet is the internet, somebody is going to take a new 4680 model Y and put a million miles on it in a year, and show less than 10% battery degradation. Then you still won't believe it.