Gov healthcare

klein

Für Meno :)
My doc only does one physical a day, because it takes longer than the average visit. You come in for blood work, chest x-ray, ekg, and then about a week later you see him, he reviews the tests, and does the hands-on stuff like cancer screenings that involve poking places and things. Takes about an hour.

Because he only does one a day, you obviously have to fit into this schedule. I was able to schedule 3 weeks out, and could have done it sooner, but had to schedule around travel plans.

3 months sounds like your doc has a lot of people who get physicals, or maybe he doesn't do one a day. Not sure where you are getting your 'common waiting time' figure.

Do not interpret this post as being in favor of our current health care system. It sucks.

I remember asking for a full physical here too.
Same thing, 2-3 weeks waiting time.

Didn't want to mention that earlier... because I figured with America's Superb System, they can have it done same day.

wkmac

In regards to gov't healthcare and regulation, maybe it's time to look back at HIV and The House of Cards. The more one begins to question and question and question healthcare industry in this country, IMO one comes away thinking of Brer Rabbit and his claim about the briar patch.

Nobody is really looking deeper and deeper into this whole deal because if you did the briar patch would be obvious.

But then we just ignore that Washington and both side are doing the infamous 2-Step Again!

tieguy

Banned
In regards to gov't healthcare and regulation, maybe it's time to look back at HIV and The House of Cards. The more one begins to question and question and question healthcare industry in this country, IMO one comes away thinking of Brer Rabbit and his claim about the briar patch.

Nobody is really looking deeper and deeper into this whole deal because if you did the briar patch would be obvious.

But then we just ignore that Washington and both side are doing the infamous 2-Step Again!

thats why we :censored2:'s are fortunate to have you here to educate us.:rofl:

wkmac

thats why we :censored2:'s are fortunate to have you here to educate us.:rofl:

There's no doubt at all as to the truth of your words. Glad to see you've gotten smarter after all.

Now that I've placated the BC gay pion, here's something further on the healthcare powergrab.

At the end of ObamaCare, “the excluded middle” won’t just be a logical fallacy you’ve heard of, it will be an apt description of the world you live in. The “individual mandate” will remain and the insurance companies will make bank on it. The “public option” will remain too — as a place for insurers to dump customers who aren’t profitable. All those “a free unicorn and ice cream for everyone at insurers’ expense” parts? Silly citizen … unicorns are for people who can afford lobbyists!

Obamonopoly: The Shocking Truth About Rip-Off Care

klein

Here is the good news for the US current healthcare system:

The Labor Department said Friday that the economy lost a net total of 263,000 jobs last month, from a downwardly revised 201,000 in August. That's worse than Wall Street economists' expectations of 180,000 job losses, according to a survey by Thomson Reuters.

263000 jobs, that should count for another 500.000 uninsured.

= Less line ups at Doctors office.

And if one of them (or part of thier family happens to get sick or break a leg). There will be some more cheap housing on the market - great for first time home buyers !

Just wondering how many of them were anti government healthcare, and right wingers, that now suddenly changed thier mind.
Esspecially when they send thier kids off to school. Telling them to play careful, don't get hurt, wash your hands steady, don't catch the flu.
Because it's an everyday gamble.

klein

What about the post that would have made us think you were right wing?

I'm a Canadian right wing. Totally different.
I will vote in my next provincial election as far right as it can go, actually.
I'm not happy with the current government here either.

The federal government is doing ok, (Conservatives in power).
But, the provincial conservatives suck right now.... I'll go further right next election. (more or less, a revolking vote, but this party is growing strongly lately - called Wildrose Party of Alberta ).

tieguy

Banned
I can sympathize. I called my GP for an annual checkup. I have an appointment for 3 months from now. On the other hand, if you have pain or illness they will see you that very day. Wow, what an innovation--triage. "Check ups" is an interesting term, but it probably means a physical. Three months is a common waiting time for a "physical check up" in America.

Got any hard core stats to support your statement. I can call my doctor and get a physical by wednesday.

and I won't have to travel out of country for any of it.

wkmac

I googled up medical wait times in the US and these two articles popped up:
Click1

Click2

Speaking for Atlanta, the first article is about dead on. Generally speaking, 7 to 10 days is typical. In my doctor's case, some of that may be driven by having the patient getting the blood work done first and having time to get back the results before the actual physical. More hard evidence to beat you up with about what you're eating and lifestyle.:happy-very: However, I don't know how true that is elsewhere but it works and seems to make sense for me.

Just on a hunch, as boomers get older & needing more care, the load on the system at some point just in sheer volume will have to have some effect. Then again, the old adage of location, location, location comes into play. High retiree/older population area would seem the most to be impacted but that's just a guest. Even wait times are a mixed bag in Canada for example from people I talk too, outside this forum for the record.

Thanks to Truthdig, I did see where Bill Frist in effect endorsed the current healthcare proposal by saying if he were still in the Senate, he'd vote for it and he knows he'd take heat too. Frist's support is no surprise as this current plan IMVHO is a big power grab by big PhARMA, certain large healthcare industry giants and certain insurance interests and nothing to do with good, honest, quality and most importantly, a transparent healthcare system. I'm against the potential ability of control mechanism of an all in one single payer system but it could be done only if the level of transparency was above board and the patient was allowed the doctor and method of his/her choice.

The current system, the so-called capitialist republicans under the guise of free market is a corp. protection rackett for a created cartel and is not about freedom or free choice at all. If the democrat or Obamacare as it's called does anything, it increases that corp. power, the very thing that got us where we are. I see it like a doctor killing a patient sufferng from extreme pain and then declaring himself a victourous champion as the patient is now pain free! That's JMO anyway and the reason I oppose because there's no reason to trust it! Without true transparency and everything on the table for all to see, how can we trust the gov't given it's track record and yes I think for both politicial sides that is a very fair question and the most ignored of them all by everyone IMO.

I don't think there's any illusion that something will get passed and the only real reason most republicans object is because it doesn't have the republican name on it. Case in point was when Gore raised the issue of Social Security and towards privatization (another cartelization power grab) in his re-inventing gov't and in 1998' Clinton broached the idea as well. The principled republicans however instead of seizing this opportunity to push towards privatization, something some opposed but not always for the more correct reasons:wink2:, decided instead to chase Monica's skirt on a potential powergrab and it seemed to work until 2006' and 2008' when the illusion of reality hit a wall!

Repubicans in the Bush era embraced just as equally socialized medicine and now they want to act (pretend with false face behind mask) almost like anarcho-capitialists. Well, it sells good I guess for the WWE Smackdown we call American politics!

:wink2:

The good guys/bad guys wrestlers backstage after fighting it out in the Royal Rumble. Gee I wonder what (who) they are laughing at?

What is Bill Frist up too these days?

Chairs executive board of Cressey and company

What do they do?

Cressey & Company, with offices in Chicago and Nashville, is a private investment firm focused on the healthcare industry. The principals of the firm have been active healthcare investors for nearly three decades and have invested in a wide range of healthcare businesses. Cressey & Company seeks to invest in high-potential segments of the U.S. healthcare market and apply its skills and expertise – along with its capital – to enhance the performance and accelerate the growth of its portfolio companies.

source

A head partner of a major private healthcare investment firm endorses Obamacare? Hmmmmm. Follow the money!

klein

Good point wkmac. I have told this before, and will tell this again. Every province is responsible for 75% of it's own healthcare. The worst is Quebec. Alberta is the best.
It really depends where you live.
You all think it's a national thing, it's really not. It's a national law, and the fed pays 25% to all of us for care. Each province pays the rest. And , it's up to the province to hire more docs, build new hospitals, etc.

In Edmonton, where I live, for example. We must have the best, or one of the best, healthcare then anywhere in any Canadian City or destrict.

Our Province is also the richest in all of Canada. Still debt free, even after this year of a budget deficit (first one in a decade or so). One of very few jurisdictions in the world, that has no debt, and money put aside.

And almost every Albertan will tell you , we got Mr. Klein to thank for that.
(Ralph Klein, NOT me).
He was out former Premier (to you State governour), that put this province from being in debt, to 1 of the worlds richest.

tieguy

Banned
Good point wkmac. I have told this before, and will tell this again. Every province is responsible for 75% of it's own healthcare. The worst is Quebec. Alberta is the best.
You all think it's a national thing, it's really not. It's a national law, and the fed pays 25% to all of us for care. Each province pays the rest. And , it's up to the province to hire more docs, build new hospitals, etc.

In Edmonton, where I live, for example. We must have the best, or one of the best, healthcare then anywhere in any Canadian City or destrict.

Our Province is also the richest in all of Canada. Still debt free, even after this year of a budget deficit (first one in a decade or so). One of very few jurisdictions in the world, that has no debt, and money put aside.

(Ralph Klein, NOT me).

can I assume they will be cutting taxes since they have extra money set aside?

klein

can I assume they will be cutting taxes since they have extra money set aside?

Ralph gave us $400 checks to every Albertan, as a surplus check.
(family of 4 got $1600, every baby, child, person , living here).
We have the lowest taxes in all of Canada.
We don't even have a sales tax (only province without one).

No tax cuts this year, since we are running our first deficit in over a decade.
And to be honest, most Albertans don't even want more tax cuts.
They want better roads (we have the best road system in Canada, too), but also more for healthcare, schools, etc).
We want them to spend it wisely.
And they haven't been doing that since Klein left office.

Klein had his own way for doing things, a lot of it was contraversly, too.
Like giving people on welfare, or the unemployed a free 1-way bus ticket back to the province they came from.

And no more DMV, horray ! You can get your license now at almost any insurance broker, no more line ups, no more overpaid lazy government workers.
Also, no more government controlled liqour stores (that we once had), also with government employees selling booze (overpaid, underworked).

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
Ralph gave us $400 checks to every Albertan, as a surplus check.
(family of 4 got $1600, every baby, child, person , living here).
We have the lowest taxes in all of Canada.
We don't even have a sales tax (only province without one).

No tax cuts this year, since we are running our first deficit in over a decade.
And to be honest, most Albertans don't even want more tax cuts.
They want better roads (we have the best road system in Canada, too), but also more for healthcare, schools, etc).
We want them to spend it wisely.
And they haven't been doing that since Klein left office.

Klein had his own way for doing things, a lot of it was contraversly, too.
Like giving people on welfare, or the unemployed a free 1-way bus ticket back to the province they came from.

And no more DMV, horray ! You can get your license now at almost any insurance broker, no more line ups, no more overpaid lazy government workers.
Also, no more government controlled liqour stores (that we once had), also with government employees selling booze (overpaid, underworked).

who tests the new drivers to make sure they can drive?

klein

who tests the new drivers to make sure they can drive?

private driving schools to be honest. And AAMA (called CAA) here.

The written test is also done on computers in thier offices.
I get my passport pictures and documents from CAA, and healthcare card, and drivers abstract, birth certifcate, all services.
No more government offices. Done.

We do however have a tall building in the innercity called Canada Place for passports... but even then.. you need to wait 3 weeks to get one.
Much easier just to go to one of our private registry offices, like CAA and tons of other insurance outfits.

wkmac

(Ralph Klein, NOT me).
He was out former Premier (to you State governour), that put this province from being in debt, to 1 of the worlds richest.

Thanks Klein. One of the biggest reasons I oppose gov't programs is that over time, we learn they are nothing more that economic power grabs via state created monopolies and cartels. This also moves resources and wealth into few and few hands and places economic and regulatory roadblocks to creative thinking people who may have real ideas and solutions to some of the problems and protects businesses that may in fact be inefficent and even counterproductive in the long run. I'd rather see a true free market where absolutely everything comes to the table and the cream will rise to the top as people in a transparent system are then given and have available all the facts and no one holds an upperhand of power to hide behind.

I know Canada's system is based on province control or what we in America might call, State rights or control. There's good and bad in that, I understand. However, in America, the push is towards a large central system (one major difference to the Canadian system) that would provide all means of healthcare and this pushes out all competitors that are not among the connected. Now at the same time, Canada could do like America and uses the States (Canadian provinces) as adminstrators of federal central plans but I'm not sure of that in Canada's case.

For the moment, the big monsters are giving up some goodies in concession to gov't because the long term payoff is market dominance where gov't action will in effect, clear all the other (smaller)competitors off the table. Would UPS agree to drop and hold shipping prices if the US gov't told UPS that FedEx would no longer be a competitor? Sure they would because the pure scale of customer base would more than make up for any difference. The density alone in some areas would be unreal in just vehicle and energy savings.

We've been conditioned IMO to think mega monsters like a Walmart is economically superior to the smaller so-called mom and pop operations who tend to serve a more local need and who operate outside a less demand of various gov't interventions otherwise known as cost to taxpayers. If you sat down and look at Walmarts true total costs of where Walmart actually benefits from various gov't operations verses the little mom and pop, if Walmart had to operate on those same levels and pass those costs to customers, the economics might look totally different. Walmart for example has been known to use gov't for emient domain abuse where property owners wanted more than Walmart was willing to pay. Does Joe's hardware enjoy that same power in his business?

A rather famous case concerning Walmart was in Alabaster Alabama from 2003' and yet Walmart through it's political connections uses gov't to keep costs low but at what real cost? Does the local mom and pop enjoy those same gov't advantages? Did the headline read, "Walmart Destroys Lockean Idea of Individual Property Rights in the Name of Central Land Use and Resource Planning"? Would that headline have rattled some cages and yet who among the great defenders of free market capitailism among the 2 dominate paties spoke up?

If the answer is no to mom and pop not being availed of Walmart's advantage, and it is the case, then this is not true free market and Walmart for example of not playing on a true level competitive field. When gov't takes market or other resources and shifts them via central planning to a specific areas of the market in order to drive a larger return for itself (the fallacy of Reaganomics and the shrinking state and yes that goes for targeted or specific tax cuts too!)this resource removal or transfer causes unintended consequences on many levels but one specific of that if the larger voting based found out what is really happening, there'd be revolts on election day.

In order to stymie this, the politicians via central planning again pass out more goodies to the voting base (this time in the so-called private non-corp. sector ie public welfare) in the hopes of pacification and for the most part it works. Global war or just war in general is another example where large amounts of resources are reallocated to the war efforts and this in turn causes shortages across the economic strata. Before fiat money and the printing press, one thing war had to do was bring back wealth in order to pay for it (remember the promise of Iraq oil production)or the locals being taxed would at some point rebel against offensive war. With the printing press, debt, debt and more debt hides the economic truth by letting inflation be the hidden tax but even this at some point has severe ramifications. Such as when the true value of the dollar goes below 5 cents and the cost of medical care, technical and college education, housing, food, gasoline, etc. begin in various means and ways to explode placing a further burden on the middle class that implodes and thus making worse on the poor and fixed income.

I just see the whole thing as a big con job and we need to start calling them on it. I think this whole thing is another manufactured crisis that causes us to look one way while everything else is taking place elsewhere (where we're not looking). You'll never fix the cost of medicine until you fix a bad monetary unit and replace it with a sound one. How can the economics of anything be stable when your medium of exchange is shrinking to worthlessness?

Once passed, healthcare may seem for a short while (via manipulation of the market) that problem is solved but it won't be. I also think that a lot of this is being driven by trying to sustain medicare as boomers hit the system and it's no secret medicare was in far worse shape than Social Security even before the economic downturn. But they are also trying to maintain US global hegemony to maintain the US dollar as global reserve currency and to secure both Middle East and Caspian basin energy resources. Like we as citizens are learning to live a more frugal and within our means lifestyle, so too does the gov't. This may not seem all related but it is. Just one more step towards total State/Corp. control of all aspects of the economy. That is Mussolini's Fascism and both parties are in on the fix!

jmo

BTW: Good observation about Tie's avatar. After his posting gay porno in the other forum, I've no doubt now that his avatar is his means of trolling for all "CUMERS!"

I hear his CB handle is "Bone Appetit"
:wink2: