guns

bbsam

Staff member
You claimed you were being reasonable but you are not one of the politicians who would decide what "reasonable" is, therefore I threw one of those supposedly reasonable politicians (Bloomberg but I could have named many others of course) at you. And Nugent is not a politician who would decide what a reasonable gun law is. He is active in politics but to fight the anti gun politicians. He has no power to write any laws himself.
Neither you nor I are one of those politicians. We can have thoughtful discourse about different ideas without demonizing each other. Bloomberg will never get 100% of what he wants and neither will the NRA so why not find something acceptable to both? They may not be able to discuss it but that's no reason we can't.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Neither you nor I are one of those politicians. We can have thoughtful discourse about different ideas without demonizing each other. Bloomberg will never get 100% of what he wants and neither will the NRA so why not find something acceptable to both? They may not be able to discuss it but that's no reason we can't.
As an African American man, would you be willing to have "thoughtful discourse" with Bull Connor over which Jim Crow laws might be "reasonable" or worth compromising over?

Of course you wouldnt. There are some issues that cannot be compromised on and there are some people whose views are so diametrically opposed to ours that there is simply no basis for even attempting to have a discussion.

I'm not going to "negotiate" for my rights with man whose position is that I do not and should not have any in the first place.

soberups

But you do compromise as soon as you put age or any other limits on who can and cannot own guns.

Not true.

Minors do not and never have had full Constitutional rights. They cannot vote or enter into contracts or drink alcohol or own guns and are under the control of their parents until the age of majority.

Criminals also do not have and never have had full Constitutional rights. They lose their liberty (prison time), they lose their property, they lose the right to vote and they lose the right to own guns after being convicted of a crime following the due process of law.

The debate is about the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding adults and on that subject there is no room for compromise.

bbsam

Staff member
Not true.

Minors do not and never have had full Constitutional rights. They cannot vote or enter into contracts or drink alcohol or own guns and are under the control of their parents until the age of majority.

Criminals also do not have and never have had full Constitutional rights. They lose their liberty (prison time), they lose their property, they lose the right to vote and they lose the right to own guns after being convicted of a crime following the due process of law.

The debate is about the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding adults and on that subject there is no room for compromise.
Not true. Vermont allows minors to own guns. Yes. Minors. They can do so and be law abiding citizens. Why only in Vermont? Why not in Illinois?

soberups

But 16 year old citizens of rural Vermont and 16 year old Chicago residents are both protected by the same Constitution
Technically, minors cannot "own" anything, it is the parents who actually have the ownership. Possession and ownership are 2 different things; in my state the minimum age to go hunting with a rifle is 12 years old so it is perfectly legal for a 12 yr old to be in posession of a gun but not own it. Minors cannot legally purchase guns until the age of 18 in any state per Federal law.

The right to own guns is a seperate argument from the question of what ought to be the legal age of majority. Dont muddy the issue by trying to mix the two up.

bbsam

Staff member
Technically, minors cannot "own" anything, it is the parents who actually have the ownership. Possession and ownership are 2 different things; in my state the minimum age to go hunting with a rifle is 12 years old so it is perfectly legal for a 12 yr old to be in posession of a gun but not own it. Minors cannot legally purchase guns until the age of 18 in any state per Federal law.

The right to own guns is a seperate argument from the question of what ought to be the legal age of majority. Dont muddy the issue by trying to mix the two up.
It isn't muddying the water if I'm pointing out that your statement was incorrect.