guns

bbsam

Staff member
who? what? where? when?

I like my 3 year old kids to get their hair done at 10pm on the front porch of a gang banger neighborhood... you know the ones you delivery before noon preferably
You didn't answer the question. It's altogether possible that the bicyclists was exercising his second amendment rights. He may have been the "good guy with a gun".

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
who? what? where? when?

I like my 3 year old kids to get their hair done at 10pm on the front porch of a gang banger neighborhood... you know the ones you delivery before noon preferably
My neighbors get their hair cut on their front porches in our "gang banger" neighborhood, doesn't bother me one bit. If your point was that it was at 9:40 at night, it was lost amongst the subtle prejudices about poor people.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I get my haircut in the backyard, on my picnic table chair, in the morning around 9:00. I'm not "poor people" and I'm not in a 'banger' neighorhood.. (unless you count the Brits and their angers and mash)

When the sun goes down, I'm in my house, with all doors locked. It's after dark that most bad stuff happens.

When dating I remember my parents saying...."be home by midnight, nothing but bad happens after that."

bbsam

Staff member
I get my haircut in the backyard, on my picnic table chair, in the morning around 9:00. I'm not "poor people" and I'm not in a 'banger' neighorhood.. (unless you count the Brits and their angers and mash)

When the sun goes down, I'm in my house, with all doors locked. It's after dark that most bad stuff happens.

When dating I remember my parents saying...."be home by midnight, nothing but bad happens after that."
So you choose to blame the parents of a dead three year old little girl because they were in a place they had every right to be at a time they had every right to be there? That's an awful and indefensible position to take.

moreluck

golden ticket member
No, that's not the point......

My point is someone thinks only poor people in 'banger' neighborhoods cut their own hair. Typical racist generalizations.

When I hear stories of kids being shot late at night, my first question is....."why were they out so late and not in bed?"

I was not addressing the shooting story, just the stupid comments by some.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Aurora teen walks on busy streets with shotgun, videotapes encounter with police

AURORA, Colo. — A teenager carrying a loaded shotgun on a busy street in Aurora was stopped by police. But he says he should not have been stopped and he videotaped his encounter with officers. Police have a different opinion.

The 18-year-old posted his cell phone video online. He spoke exclusively with reporter Dave Young Friday.

Young also spoke with police as the two sides debated open carry gun laws and public safety.

Steve Lohner claims he was well within Colorado law while he walked in the area of South Buckley Road and East Iliff Avenue while carrying a shotgun.

Police who were called to the scene say they weren’t able to determine if he was doing it legally. Lohner refused to show them an ID to prove he’s 18.

“I simply carry this for the protection of myself and those around me,” Lohner says.

His shotgun is a Stoeger P-350 12 gauge.

“I’ve been stopped close to a dozen times for this and this is actually the first time I’ve been forced to provide ID,” he says.

The teen says he’s on a campaign to call attention to open carry laws. “I feel like a lot of people now they see a weapon like that and they think, you know, James Holmes or Sandy Hook,”

Lohner says that’s why he started walking along major streets with his gun.

“It’s alarming to the citizens — alarming enough to where they call,” says Aurora police spokesman Frank Fania.

Colorado law backs up Aurora police when asking to see an ID while investigating a possible crime.

“He may be within his rights and legal, within the law to carry this gun but if we’re investigating it and he refuses to cooperate that may violate other municipal laws,” Fania says.

In fact, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled that police who are investigating a suspected crime can require an ID from people reasonably believed to have information or were involved with that crime.

In this case police couldn’t even determine if Lohner, who they determined looks younger than 18, was old enough to legally possess the weapon.

Lohner says, “The police treat open carry like you’re a criminal until proven innocent.”

But police say it raises questions of public safety and takes officers off of other calls. “It ties up our resources whether you’re right or wrong,” Fania says.

Lohner, who just turned 18, plans to continue his protest walks. “If enough people were to lawfully open carry in those areas and do it in a safe and lawful manner then these people would end up feeling comfortable around it.”

The teen admits that the Aurora theater shooting makes police in the city cautious.

Police say they have to respond to 911 calls when people call about what Lohner is doing. They reiterate they may be getting pulled away from other real, life-threatening situations.

Lohner faces a misdemeanor obstruction charge for refusing to show his identification.

We spoke to Lohner’s mother and she told us she is concerned about his safety.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I live in an open carry state , but rarely does anyone do it .
If I were to do it , the moonbats here would go into a major panic mode .

bbsam

Staff member
So if Lohner is confronted by someone armed on a dark night, is he more or less likely to be shot dead in his tracks because they feared they were in mortal danger?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Texas Firearms Instructor Tries To Teach His Kids About Gun Safety, Fails When He Shoots His Own Hand
AUTHOR: STEPHEN D FOSTER JR AUGUST 3, 2014 11:45 AM

Handgun_collection.jpg

A Texas firearms instructor with the Hewitt Police Department will never hear the end of this one.

Heath Vanek decided it would be a great idea to teach his children how to clean a 9mm handgun. There was just one problem. You kinda have to take all the bullets out before you do it.

During his helpful instruction, Vanek “made the classic mistake” of Second Amendmenting himself in his own left hand. Now the kids know what NOT to do while handling guns.

Normally, this would be a typical case of mishandling a firearm by an ordinary gun nut. But that’s not the case here. It’s even more embarrassing because Vanek is the firearms instructor on the police force.

An investigation will take place, but not to worry. Hewitt Police Chief Jim Devlin is confident that Vanek will be back on the job. Because someone nearly killing one of their own children by being irresponsible with their guns isn’t a big deal. It’s just another typical day in Texas.

“We are human, too,” Devlin told The Waco Tribune.

We are not infallible. We make mistakes, and when we mess up, we mess up and do our best to correct it and get back to giving the public the best service we can. I do see a potential for some re-teaching and some remediation. Accidents occur and when you are dealing with a handgun and other weapons, you need to make sure that all your focus is on that. You can’t give it 80 percent. You have to give it 100 percent… It’s an unfortunate accident and it is just something we, as a department, will work through.

Vanek has already underwent surgery to repair his wound and will be out of action for two months to recuperate. But hey, at least he didn’t shoot himself in the penis. He can still have more kids to teach what not to do with guns in the future.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So if Lohner is confronted by someone armed on a dark night, is he more or less likely to be shot dead in his tracks because they feared they were in mortal danger?
Probably more likely.

I have always felt that the open carry of long guns as a form of protest speech is stupid, disrespectful and counterproductive. Kind of like flag burning, or when groups of protesters swallow red, white and blue food dye in order to vomit in front of the Presidential limousine. None of that changes the fact that it is, and ought to be, a Constitutionally protected form of free speech. Plus, it would be virtually impossible to craft a law that banned the practice without infringing upon peoples 2nd Amendment rights. Around here, for instance, it is quite routine during hunting season to see people walking along back roads out in the country with deer rifles and anyone who called the sheriff to report such activity would probably get laughed at.

wayfair

swollen member
So you choose to blame the parents of a dead three year old little girl because they were in a place they had every right to be at a time they had every right to be there? That's an awful and indefensible position to take.

Please go to your bad neighborhoods late at night, you have every right to be there.

bbsam

Staff member
Please go to your bad neighborhoods late at night, you have every right to be there.
ah. So if you're poor and can't afford to move, your 3 year old daughter's death by a stray bullet is just unfortunate.

So if the shooting was self defense and assuming the shooter was within his rights, who is responsible for the stray bullet and the death it caused?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ah. So if you're poor and can't afford to move, your 3 year old daughter's death by a stray bullet is just unfortunate.

So if the shooting was self defense and assuming the shooter was within his rights, who is responsible for the stray bullet and the death it caused?
From a moral standpoint, responsibility for the stray bullet would lie with the criminal whose actions created the situation that caused a necessity for the bullet to be fired in the first place.

From the standpoint of financial liability, that would be for a court to decide if a lawsuit were filed against the shooter by the family of the victim.

wayfair

swollen member

Douglas Woods, of Philadelphia, has been charged with murder, three counts of attempted murder, aggravated assault and other charges, according to Officer Tanya Little.

bbsam

Staff member
From a moral standpoint, responsibility for the stray bullet would lie with the criminal whose actions created the situation that caused a necessity for the bullet to be fired in the first place.

From the standpoint of financial liability, that would be for a court to decide if a lawsuit were filed against the shooter by the family of the victim.
From a moral standpoint, do you take the shot if it puts bystanders at risk, i.e. a dark theater in Aurora, Colorado?