guns

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would suggest that this is why many commercial entities are adopting "No Gun" policies.
No, the "no guns allowed" signs are going up as a feel-good measure to placate whiney liberals.

They don't apply to criminals because criminals don't obey them. And, in my state at least, they don't apply to people like myself who hold carry permits. But hey, they do give a warm and fuzzy feeling of safety to people who are scared of guns so I guess they serve some purpose.

soberups

Technically, doesn't that make you guilty of criminal trespass?
No, at least not in Oregon.

In my state, if you have a carry permit you can only be charged with criminal trespass if (a) they become aware that you are carrying a concealed weapon and (b) they ask you to leave and you refuse to. Otherwise...concealed means concealed and no laws are being broken. I believe this to be the case in most other states as well.

The "no guns allowed" signs will allow the store to ban open carry, but if the intent of the person who is openly carrying is to go in there and kill a bunch of people then it is highly unlikely that he will be prevented from doing so by a sign on the door or an unarmed clerk confronting him and quoting store policy.

bbsam

Staff member
No, at least not in Oregon.

In my state, if you have a carry permit you can only be charged with criminal trespass if (a) they become aware that you are carrying a concealed weapon and (b) they ask you to leave and you refuse to. Otherwise...concealed means concealed and no laws are being broken. I believe this to be the case in most other states as well.

The "no guns allowed" signs will allow the store to ban open carry, but if the intent of the person who is openly carrying is to go in there and kill a bunch of people then it is highly unlikely that he will be prevented from doing so by a sign on the door or an unarmed clerk confronting him and quoting store policy.
I think you should read the definition of "criminal trespass" again. And you're right. Criminals just ignore the law...like Brett. ;)

brett636

I think you should read the definition of "criminal trespass" again. And you're right. Criminals just ignore the law...like Brett. ;)

I'd imagine its different from state to state. Some backwards state like Illinois I believe the sign has the force of law, but in most free states they do not. Criminal trespass only applies if you have been asked to leave and refuse. Otherwise it isn't criminal trespass.

soberups

I think you should research the laws in the state of Oregon.

Hypothetical scenario; a store puts up a sign on the door saying "no Skittles allowed". Does this mean you are committing the crime of criminal trespass if you enter the store with a bag of Skittles in your pocket or purse? No...a private entity cannot make an otherwise legal item (like a gun or a bag of Skittles) illegal and attach criminal penalties to it simply because you possess it on their property. All they can do is ask you to leave and you are only guilty of criminal trespass if you refuse to.

bbsam

Staff member
I think you should research the laws in the state of Oregon.

Hypothetical scenario; a store puts up a sign on the door saying "no Skittles allowed". Does this mean you are committing the crime of criminal trespass if you enter the store with a bag of Skittles in your pocket or purse? No...a private entity cannot make an otherwise legal item (like a gun or a bag of Skittles) illegal and attach criminal penalties to it simply because you possess it on their property. All they can do is ask you to leave and you are only guilty of criminal trespass if you refuse to.
Maybe Oregon is different. What I have read is that if an individual "knowingly" enters a property he knows he is forbidden from entering for matters of time, place, manner, he can be found guilty of criminal trespass. In the case of the skittles, nobody is making the skittles illegal, but the sign has made it known what manner (without skittles) is acceptable to be on the property. Knowing that and entering with said bag of skittles is the possible infraction. Are the skittles illegal? Of course not. Can a charge be leveled? Absolutely.

bbsam

Staff member
doesn't matter what anyone here says, you just keep trolling...

maybe, just maybe, if you took a firearms training course, most of your questions would be answered

If you don't know the answer, just say so...or you don't have to say anything at all.

soberups

Maybe Oregon is different. What I have read is that if an individual "knowingly" enters a property he knows he is forbidden from entering for matters of time, place, manner, he can be found guilty of criminal trespass. In the case of the skittles, nobody is making the skittles illegal, but the sign has made it known what manner (without skittles) is acceptable to be on the property. Knowing that and entering with said bag of skittles is the possible infraction. Are the skittles illegal? Of course not. Can a charge be leveled? Absolutely.
Your information is not correct.
In order for the trespassing charge to be valid, the person carrying the "prohibited" item must refuse to leave when asked.
Mere possession of an otherwise legal item on property that "prohibits" it does not in and of itself constitute a crime.

soberups

There is a sign on the door of the movie theater my wife and I go to occasionally that prohibits bringing in food and drink from outside.

Rather than pay $7 for a cup of soda or $5 for a bottle of water, my wife hides these items in her purse when we see a movie.

Does that make us guilty of "criminal trespass?" No it doesn't and neither does my possession of a legally concealed handgun.

MAKAVELI

Upstate,
Everyone has a right to their beliefs. To carry a gun or not to carry a gun should be a free choice for every American . The only statement I am surprised with --is that you truly believe where you live is safe. Hate to break this to you ----in today's world you are not safe anywhere. Carry a gun or not --your choice--but I would just ask you to re-think "safe'
It would sound as though there was never a crime committed in Upstate NY ---Remember even the "Garden of Eden" was subjected to crime.
Evil can and will appear anytime ---anyplace -armed or not -Please be prepared.
And only a fool would believe that they are safer carrying a gun.

bbsam

Staff member
Your information is not correct.
In order for the trespassing charge to be valid, the person carrying the "prohibited" item must refuse to leave when asked.
Mere possession of an otherwise legal item on property that "prohibits" it does not in and of itself constitute a crime.
Maybe states are different.

I did read the Oregon statute and I'm not even sure you're right about that. I think they wrote it with just enough grey area to prosecute when and where they want to. Instead of "and" word "or" is used. I find it highly unlikely that that was overlooked.

"Knowingly" fits with what Brett said about some states giving a sign the force of law.

bbsam

Staff member
There is a sign on the door of the movie theater my wife and I go to occasionally that prohibits bringing in food and drink from outside.

Rather than pay $7 for a cup of soda or $5 for a bottle of water, my wife hides these items in her purse when we see a movie.

Does that make us guilty of "criminal trespass?" No it doesn't and neither does my possession of a legally concealed handgun.

Sure you are. It wouldn't be prosecuted, but it doesn't make you innocent or even not guilty.

soberups

Maybe states are different.

I did read the Oregon statute and I'm not even sure you're right about that. I think they wrote it with just enough great area to prosecute when and where they want to. Instead of "and" word "or" is used. I find it highly unlikely that that was overlooked.

"Knowingly" fits with what Brett said about some states giving a sign the force of law.
Oregon has a "pre-emption" law that prohibits cities, counties or municipalities from enacting gun laws that are stricter than or that contravene state law. This also applies to school districts, which is why persons with concealed handgun licenses can legally carry on school property even when there are "no guns allowed" signs on the door.

You are free to "interpret" the statute however you wish but I am going to rely on the information that was given to me by the sheriff's deputy who taught the class I took to get my permit.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oregon has a "pre-emption" law that prohibits cities, counties or municipalities from enacting gun laws that are stricter than or that contravene state law. This also applies to school districts, which is why persons with concealed handgun licenses can legally carry on school property even when there are "no guns allowed" signs on the door.

You are free to "interpret" the statute however you wish but I am going to rely on the information that was given to me by the sheriff's deputy who taught the class I took to get my permit.
checkmate !

soberups

Sure you are. It wouldn't be prosecuted, but it doesn't make you innocent or even not guilty.
We would only be guilty of the crime of criminal trespass if we were asked to leave and refused to do so.

A property owner cannot make an otherwise legal item illegal simply by posting a sign.

This is established law regardless of how you choose to interpret the statute.