zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Turn by turn only helps people who don't already know the route. But I could see UPS using it to discipline drivers for not following the exact route as laid out by Orion. Even more reason to follow it and make more money.

Nike

I like the strategy that has worked the past 100 years. Pay your employees well to be smart and adaptable, combine with proven and trusted technology. Why do anything else? Invest in the person, not some snakeoil technology.

You know how many drivers I see invest in their own maps, flashlights and various other devices for their jobs. Pay your employees well and they’ll figure it out on their own.

dudebro

I like the strategy that has worked the past 100 years. Pay your employees well to be smart and adaptable, combine with proven and trusted technology. Why do anything else? Invest in the person, not some snakeoil technology.

You know how many drivers I see invest in their own maps, flashlights and various other devices for their jobs. Pay your employees well and they’ll figure it out on their own.
Your assumption is that with good pay, all employees will want to do the right thing. My experience is, this is not the case.

Heavy Package

Invest in the person, not some snakeoil technology

What snakeoil are you talking about? With Orion, it's smooth sailing all the way!

3b44dc9790f11f15e5f7ec4a89175348.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Turn by turn directions you say?

Sounds like someone is preparing for a large-scale work stoppage.
We cant get the packages delivered even when everyone shows up for work.
We have also had 3 on-car sups quit in the last 6 months, and one of them has yet to be replaced because they cant find anyone dumb enough to take the position.
Plus the economy has picked up and there are plenty of jobs out there.
So the idea that they would have the ability to hire, let alone train, enough people to replace us is laughable. I seriously doubt that UPS would even be able to supply them with uniforms.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
To the original point, dropping RDO. A fundamental change in the whole system would have to take place, and I don't see that happening for a long time.

Right now, Orion order is calculated after driver start time. Often times, we're wrapped and ready to go and someone still hasn't hit the release button further wasting money. The final dispatch for every route isn't finalized until close to driver start time because last minute add/cuts are still being processed.

For cars to be loaded in ODO, the final dispatch for EVERY route would need to be determined in the middle of the night before preload starts. Does anyone think that could happen?

When one too many guys call out at 8am and one route needs eliminating and thus a bunch of add/cuts, what happens? That changes all corresponding Orion solutions. So how can that solution be made before preload starts?

RDO is here to stay.
What you say is true, but you are operating on the false assumption that UPS will do what makes sense.

dudebro

Sometimes this place makes it so nobody cares, including management
I don't always agree with how things are managed either. Most of the issues I read on here about ORION are really PDS issues. And then, even the PDS may not be at fault. If the PDS has to manage the preload AND do the PDS job in some cases, his or her choice is to either spend time fixing the dispatch and work 15 hours, or work 10, pull the same day the week before as a typical day, and hit commit and hope that's close enough.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I don't always agree with how things are managed either. Most of the issues I read on here about ORION are really PDS issues. And then, even the PDS may not be at fault. If the PDS has to manage the preload AND do the PDS job in some cases, his or her choice is to either spend time fixing the dispatch and work 15 hours, or work 10, pull the same day the week before as a typical day, and hit commit and hope that's close enough.

Cool story bro

But if you know there’s a problem and I know there’s a problem

Why not fix it instead of kicking the can down the road

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I will run the route the way that makes sense.
Right now if I followed ORION I would run out of fuel at midnight with pickups and businesses left to do.
The 9.5 opt-in list is the "great equalizer".

It took less than 3 months and $1,300 in penalty pay for management to instruct me to turn ORION off in 2014.

Haven't looked at it since, but am all in and willing to run it into the ground again.
No GPS based algorithm is capable of considering all the variables necessary to successfully complete my route.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My OC had instructed me to not run ORION for months and I always politely declined. Always enjoy the windshield time versus actually having to get out of the package car and carry something.
No choice for the last week though as RDO has been removed from our DIADS.