542thruNthru

if you have ORION expect it before the end of next year

Sounds good to me. I can't wait to see the line outside my CMs door. Everyone getting on 9.5 will open up some new routes.

I could use less work also. We've had orion for a few years now and no one uses it. Management doesn't bring it up or even ask us to run the first orion stop. Hell I haven't even seen a orion miles print out in over a year.

Bring it on. :)

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Sounds good to me. I can't wait to see the line outside my CMs door. Everyone getting on 9.5 will open up some new routes.

I could use less work also. We've had orion for a few years now and no one uses it. Management doesn't bring it up or even ask us to run the first orion stop. Hell I haven't even seen a orion miles print out in over a year.

Bring it on. :)
your dispatchers are trash

expect to see them replaced when this rolls out

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
so that’s the eventual dream (3-5 years tops) but i think for now they just utilize the RDO loading, but ODO trace
So we will be “locked in” to a system that has us crawling over bulk stops in order to reach a single package in the middle of shelf four?
And one other question—will the order our stops are listed in keep changing throughout the day according to what ORION “thinks” is the best trace? Or will there be a way to “lock it down” into a fixed list so that we can still scroll through it and actually function as drivers in the real world?
I have gotten used to using EDD/RDO as a tool to help me make better decisions. If that is taken away and replaced with a constantly-fluctuating and functionally useless ORION “solution” then it looks like I will just have to go “old school” and manually sort and line my stops up using memory and area knowledge in order to get the work done. Bummer.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
So we will be “locked in” to a system that has us crawling over bulk stops in order to reach a single package in the middle of shelf four?
And one other question—will the order our stops are listed in keep changing throughout the day according to what ORION “thinks” is the best trace? Or will there be a way to “lock it down” into a fixed list so that we can still scroll through it and actually function as drivers in the real world?
I have gotten used to using EDD/RDO as a tool to help me make better decisions. If that is taken away and replaced with a constantly-fluctuating and functionally useless ORION “solution” then it looks like I will just have to go “old school” and manually sort and line my stops up using memory and area knowledge in order to get the work done. Bummer.

1. So we will be “locked in” to a system that has us crawling over bulk stops in order to reach a single package in the middle of shelf four?
    so stuff like that really depends on how good your dispatcher is; a good dispatcher will review each trace before the preload begins and keep an eye on rear-shelf deliveries too early in the day, adjusting the parameters if necessary to avoid it

if your dispatcher just doesn't care about you, then yeah you will

2. And one other question—will the order our stops are listed in keep changing throughout the day according to what ORION “thinks” is the best trace? Or will there be a way to “lock it down” into a fixed list so that we can still scroll through it and actually function as drivers in the real world?
    it's not real-time yet, that's 3-5 years down the road

3. If that is taken away and replaced with a constantly-fluctuating and functionally useless ORION “solution” then it looks like I will just have to go “old school” and manually sort and line my stops up using memory and area knowledge in order to get the work done.
    honestly that will take you longer than just running the solution

Johney

Pineapple King
  1. So we will be “locked in” to a system that has us crawling over bulk stops in order to reach a single package in the middle of shelf four?
    so stuff like that really depends on how good your dispatcher is; a good dispatcher will review each trace before the preload begins and keep an eye on rear-shelf deliveries too early in the day, adjusting the parameters if necessary to avoid it

Is a dispatcher going to have time to go through 150 routes everyday to "tweak" a load as you say? Good dispatcher or not?

542thruNthru

they should be the next-in-line after the manager

in many places it's the scrub they don't trust with anything else; then they wonder why they suck on all their elements

That's exactly what it is here. This is going to be a disaster for probably a good 6months in my center. I sure hope they bring some people in to fix our trace. It probably hasn't been touch since the first couple months they implemented Orion.

I can't wait to see my ORS face when this goes down. I'm not making it up when I say no one has run Orion in almost 2 years.

E

el blanco

That's exactly what it is here. This is going to be a disaster for probably a good 6months in my center. I sure hope they bring some people in to fix our trace. It probably hasn't been touch since the first couple months they implemented Orion.

I can't wait to see my ORS face when this goes down. I'm not making it up when I say no one has run Orion in almost 2 years.

probably won't be any advance notification either

walk in, get EDD, and see that RDO is missing

542thruNthru

probably won't be any advance notification either

walk in, get EDD, and see that RDO is missing

Yep, the advance notification will be that day at a emergency PCM after 15 drivers yelled and screamed about it.

I also wonder if they will drop to 85% compliance or stay at 90%.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

2. And one other question—will the order our stops are listed in keep changing throughout the day according to what ORION “thinks” is the best trace? Or will there be a way to “lock it down” into a fixed list so that we can still scroll through it and actually function as drivers in the real world?
    it's not real-time yet, that's 3-5 years down the road

3. If that is taken away and replaced with a constantly-fluctuating and functionally useless ORION “solution” then it looks like I will just have to go “old school” and manually sort and line my stops up using memory and area knowledge in order to get the work done.
    honestly that will take you longer than just running the solution
#2 was the biggie for me, it doesn’t matter how whacked my ORION solution is as long as I can still scroll through EDD and come up with a plan that actually works in the real world. RDO has been a godsend, but I can adapt and function without it. But if the stops keep changing order in “real time” then the only remaining workaround is manual sorting. Only an idiot—or someone who has never actually done the job—believes that ORION can actually make the job easier and more efficient. At best, it is an interesting exercise in map theory. But in terms of actually finding the most efficient way to deliver packages in the real world, it is garbage. And I dont say that lightly. I have hands-on experience with every technological advancement that UPS has made in the last 30 years. I went through CACD (the forerunner to EDD), PLD, from paper records thru 5 different iterations of the DIAD, PAS/EDD, and now ORION. For the most part these advancements have all been good and have made me more productive. I am not afraid of change, or new technology. But ORION is a complete, profound and utter failure. It doesn’t work. It never will. The underlying concept is irredeemably flawed.

Last edited:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

PFT is already digging in to spend the next couple years fixing all the maps that should have been getting fixed by the PDS since ORION was deployed