How's North Carolina TEST STATION doing??

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
If you pay for Express service, and FedEx completely turns over the delivery of the pkg to another opco that charges considerably less that's deceptive practices. If however FedEx announces in advance that certain of it's Express pkgs will be delivered in the "last mile" by another opco, which most customers won't even know or care about, that's acceptable. It's all in the fine print. Imagine a shipper who sends out 20 SO letters a week to customers within a 50 mile radius. Then he finds out FedEx was turning over 18 letters to Ground to deliver. And that he could have been using Ground at $5 a letter all along at a huge savings to his company? He'd probably be pretty POed. But if FedEx tells him upfront in a letter, and FedEx in major changes has notified regular customers before, that he'll still get great Express pickup service, and that Ground will handle the actual delivery, everything is above board and honest. He may choose to run the letters down to Ground himself and save a lot more. He may choose to go with UPS. But he's been given a choice, no deceptive practices.
Legally you arent allowed to send an envolope ground. It is a deal/law the carriers have had with the post office since they started. That is why when a customer chooses ground they can't pick ltr as weight it always has to be 1lb.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Great, they've already got the language in place. But I bet they will still send out letters to customers explaining the conditions, and are doing so because lawyers told them they had to to cover themselves.
That could also be costly and time consuming.

bbsam

Staff member
And yet you were talking as if FedEx could do anything it pleases without having to cover itself first. You may know Ground backwards and forwards but Express? Not so much. WAEN!!
The next time they “fine tune” the terms and conditions, the language will change ever so slightly with little comment and no fanfare. What I do know is how contracts and amendments work. If you don’t have a legal degree, much of it doesn’t say what you think it says but much of it says exactly what it says and means whatever the company (and it’s lawyers) says it says.

vantexan

Legally you arent allowed to send an envolope ground. It is a deal/law the carriers have had with the post office since they started. That is why when a customer chooses ground they can't pick ltr as weight it always has to be 1lb.
OK, but referring to the letter size Ground envelopes that are the same size, as far as I know, as the Express letter size. Don't know the current price but Ground could get them delivered overnight within a specific region for $5 a few years back.

vantexan

The next time they “fine tune” the terms and conditions, the language will change ever so slightly with little comment and no fanfare. What I do know is how contracts and amendments work. If you don’t have a legal degree, much of it doesn’t say what you think it says but much of it says exactly what it says and means whatever the company (and it’s lawyers) says it says.
But you seem to think they can make these kinds of changes without telling customers first with no legal exposure. They have on a number of occasions had couriers deliver letters to shippers, and it was a lot of letters per courier, detailing changes in service as well as price. For something this big I would be confident betting on it that they will do it this time too.

bbsam

Staff member
But you seem to think they can make these kinds of changes without telling customers first with no legal exposure. They have on a number of occasions had couriers deliver letters to shippers, and it was a lot of letters per courier, detailing changes in service as well as price. For something this big I would be confident betting on it that they will do it this time too.
Will the expense of notifying shippers far outweigh the savings? No. I thought not. In essence you’re conjuring up tiny little issues that amount to nothing in regards to a shift this big. I mean you’re talking international shipments? How far down the line are we talking? How much other volume will be bled off Express before that’s even a concern?

vantexan

Will the expense of notifying shippers far outweigh the savings? No. I thought not. In essence you’re conjuring up tiny little issues that amount to nothing in regards to a shift this big. I mean you’re talking international shipments? How far down the line are we talking? How much other volume will be bled off Express before that’s even a concern?
And you seem to think you know how Express operates. This is a huge change in how they deliver certain packages and as I've already stated before when big changes in service occurs FedEx sends out a mass shipment to regular shippers detailing the change. Besides covering themselves legally why wouldn't they inform their customers of the change? And FedEx has a long list of things that have bitten them legally so with something this big it's highly unlikely that they'll just start doing it and too bad for the customer if they aren't aware.

bbsam

Staff member
They had email back when they did mass shipments too.
This might eat up 3 days worth of savings that they get by moving freight by Ground then!
Think they’ll go through with it? How much do you think it would cost? Every shipper or only the affected international shippers? Is this really going to be an issue for a $40 billion dollar company?
On a side note, I read that Ground now processes about 8.5 million pieces per day. Looking at another 2 million with Smartpost integration. You know what another million Express packages does? Offsets the cheap cost of the Smartpost and then some. Density is good.

bbsam

Staff member
And you seem to think you know how Express operates. This is a huge change in how they deliver certain packages and as I've already stated before when big changes in service occurs FedEx sends out a mass shipment to regular shippers detailing the change. Besides covering themselves legally why wouldn't they inform their customers of the change? And FedEx has a long list of things that have bitten them legally so with something this big it's highly unlikely that they'll just start doing it and too bad for the customer if they aren't aware.
Why wouldn’t they? Because they don’t have to. It’s already stated in the terms of service.
Plus they’ve already announced it and Wall Street loved it.

vantexan

Why wouldn’t they? Because they don’t have to. It’s already stated in the terms of service.
Plus they’ve already announced it and Wall Street loved it.
Vague language in the TOS isn't informing the customers of a big change. Why would they do it? Because they've always done it before. This isn't your nickel-and-dime Ground outfit.

This might eat up 3 days worth of savings that they get by moving freight by Ground then!
Think they’ll go through with it? How much do you think it would cost? Every shipper or only the affected international shippers? Is this really going to be an issue for a $40 billion dollar company?
On a side note, I read that Ground now processes about 8.5 million pieces per day. Looking at another 2 million with Smartpost integration. You know what another million Express packages does? Offsets the cheap cost of the Smartpost and then some. Density is good.
Until you have to deal with late airplanes they can really throw a monkey wrench into your planned day.

vantexan

Google it. The entire FedEx Corporation in 2019 averaged 6.2 million packages a day and they were a $40 Billion company a good while back. $69 Billion+ in 2019. What else are you wrong about?

bbsam

Staff member
Until you have to deal with late airplanes they can really throw a monkey wrench into your planned day.
No. A late airplane throws a monkey wrench into Express operations. There’s going to be cut times like everything else. Ground contracts here can hold us til 9:45. Late planes that can’t be processed by then I assume would have to revert back to Express. Or they’ll just use a weather excuse like they’ve been doing for 10 years anyway. :)