How's the view???........

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My neighbor invited us out on his boat the other day. As soon as we got into the river, on our way out to the ocean, we saw these guys.

100_4431.jpg

bigbrownhen

100_2247.jpg This is one you eat as well. Texas Gator Gar......6ft 3in....229lbs. Taken by bowfishing methods. How would you like to be swimming and have one of these tip next to you?

Wear gloves to clean, the scales and teeth are sharp, but take a chunk roast of it and bake on the grill in a foil bag with spices of your choice....yum yum...eat it hot though, gets a little rubbery after it gets cold.
100_2247.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
View attachment 4564 This is one you eat as well. Texas Gator Gar......6ft 3in....229lbs. Taken by bowfishing methods. How would you like to be swimming and have one of these tip next to you?

Wear gloves to clean, the scales and teeth are sharp, but take a chunk roast of it and bake on the grill in a foil bag with spices of your choice....yum yum...eat it hot though, gets a little rubbery after it gets cold.
Cool pix BBH.

bigbrownhen

Thanks guys, but I can't take credit for the pic, that was all hubby and friends on their annual trip to Texas. I stay home and shop!! Fishing for 12-15 hrs a day is not my idea of a vacation.

satellitedriver

Not to be snippy Hen, but we call them Alligator Gar in Texas, when they are the fresh water variety.
Salt water Gar looks the same, but the meat is "greasy" and tastes it.
I don't care how you cook it.
To be perfectly honest,
I only use Gar as cut bait to catch a fish that I want to eat.

bigbrownhen

You are correct Sat, it is Allligator Gar. I didn't even realize I typed it that way, I tend to type with a "hillbilly accent". I should have used the correct name, there are many people that don't know they exist. I know there is an episode of River Monsters about Alligator Gar, but I haven't seen it. I didn't realize there was a salt water species, but hubby is the expert in our house. He has been trying to get me to go on the trip for years, but I like to stop and look at stuff when on vacation, he likes to just get where he is going.

There are some people that don't care to eat gar, of any type(there are smaller species), but I think it has more to do with the frustration of trying to clean one, not the actual taste. lol The hide on those fish are extremly tough and the teeth are sharp. Both the scales and the teeth can scrape and cut you, it takes a very sharp knife or electric saw. I have eaten gar fried in little chunks or like a large roast on the grill and we like it just fine. I guesss it's like some people like catfish, some don't. To each thier own.